Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Star Warsify The Mini Camper Van Building Contest

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: Star Warsify The Mini Camper Van Building Contest

Postby onions » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:24 am

you still have over two weeks to retake your photos.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:33 am

I know. I also know that chances to do so are unpredictable. I'll be away all this weekend, and often have to work late. And since I don't have any really good lighting inside, I usually have to photograph stuff outdoors (though my one indoor photo here came out better than I expected). Living in Oregon, going into fall, that can be a dicey prospect. :D

Just thought I'd be better off doing a first pass, posting my best shots, and replacing them within the time limit if I got a chance to take better ones (assuming my photography skills are up to it, of course. ;) )
Mister Ed

Postby MotionOTheOcean » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:16 am

onions wrote:you still have over two weeks to retake your photos.

While we are on this point, I was wondering about the sand background entries? Again not to be a naysayer, but the rules do say solid or gradient for a background. This issue came up with the micro contest last time with the land speeder entry and was never really addressed.
MotionOTheOcean

Postby onions » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:22 am

the solid or gradient background is if you wish to enhance or clean up your image. the sand was part of the original photo so it's okay.

the other entry has the cloud effect added which is a no-no.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:27 pm

OK, I have changed my original entry post by adding a new entry. I hope you like it and that it is within the rules. :)
Oky Wan Kenobi

Oh No! It's the Vancor!

Postby madLEGOman » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:48 pm

Behold the mighty Vancor! Now with much better pictures!
Vancor01 by madLEGOman, on Flickr
Vancor02 by madLEGOman, on Flickr
Fahrvergnugen!
Last edited by madLEGOman on Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
madLEGOman

Postby Mister Ed » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:06 am

I'm having a hard time seeing the "instantly recognizeable" camper van in that build.

But I admit I may be blinded by jealousy. It is a MUCH cleverer rendition of a small-scale Rancor than mine. I'm just not seeing the camper van that is supposed to be prominent and instantly recognizeable.
Last edited by Mister Ed on Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Ed

Postby DagsBricks » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:52 pm

Maybe it ATE the camper van?
DagsBricks

Postby wolffe98 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:04 pm

wolffe98

Postby madLEGOman » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:23 pm

DagsBricks wrote:Maybe it ATE the camper van?

It was delicious =)
madLEGOman

Postby madLEGOman » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:47 am

Just posted clearer pics, hopefully this will better show off the evolution both from the original and mini camper van designs, but the contest did say to take liberties =) I had considdered two-toning the vancor to highlight this further. but thought this was better, and less gimickey.
madLEGOman

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:59 am

Still not seeing the mini camper van model in there. Contest rules said that it should be prominent and instantly recognizeable. This seems at least as divergent as the two models that were already disqualified. I don't really see any part of the model that looks like the mini camper van model. But I admit I'm not impartial, so it is up to the contest runners to decide. Given their lack of comment thus far, I guess they already have.
Mister Ed

Postby madLEGOman » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:23 am

Look Ed, if you wanna rip on my design, have at it. I'm just trying to make fun stuff. But don't go all passive aggressive on the admins, that's just bad form. They are more than capable of coming to their own conclusions without being told what they should think.
madLEGOman

Postby MotionOTheOcean » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:19 am

madLEGOman wrote:Just posted clearer pics, hopefully this will better show off the evolution both from the original and mini camper van designs, but the contest did say to take liberties =) I had considdered two-toning the vancor to highlight this further. but thought this was better, and less gimickey.

Personally, I think this is still definitely recognizable. Although not staying true to shape, all the elements of the vans design are there and are very present within the Vancors "mutated" form.
MotionOTheOcean

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:06 am

madLEGOman wrote:Look Ed, if you wanna rip on my design, have at it. I'm just trying to make fun stuff. But don't go all passive aggressive on the admins, that's just bad form. They are more than capable of coming to their own conclusions without being told what they should think.

I'm sorry you think that's what I'm doing, but I'm not.

I love your design. I think it is a way better build than mine. I think I mentioned that. I just don't think it fits those specific design criteria.

And I haven't the slightest idea where you get the notion that I'm trying to tell the admins what they should think. I have done the opposite, in fact. I have expressed my opinion on the matter, admitted that I'm not impartial, and said that the judgement is up to the admins. I then pointed out that the fact that they haven't said anything tends to indicate that they don't have a problem with it. Wouldn't you agree with that assessment?

What part of that is me telling the admins what to think?
Mister Ed

Postby Solo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:15 am

Chillax guys, everyone has their own opinions and that's all this ultimately comes down to. I'm actually surprised he managed to take it that far and still make it recognizable. I totally see the camper van in that, with no squinting or nitpicking required. No problems there. I've already addressed the other two models so I won't go over them again.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:42 am

Fair enough. I honestly didn't see it, but I probably shouldn't have said anything. I hope there are no hard feelings.

If nothing else, this takes the pressure off trying to take better pictures of mine. :D
Mister Ed

Postby Ultron32 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:32 pm

DagsBricks wrote:Maybe it ATE the camper van?

Haha, you are what you eat :P
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby DagsBricks » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:42 pm

Alrighty then, I think I'm ready. Still missing a tiny piece but it looks good enough without it. I present to you the T2 Twin Van Cloud Camper courtesy of a joint venture between Volkswagen AG and Bespin Motors. I scavenged all the orange I could find including harvesting parts from my Planet Set Cloud Car. A few more shots on Flickr.

With micro pilot Hibot at the helm.
"Yeah man, y'know those clouds around Cloud City? That ain't water vapor man, know what I'm saying? Yeah. Whoa. Whoa! WHOA!WHOA!WHOA!WH- oh, hey wanna donut man?"

T2 Twin Van Cloud Camper by DagsBricks, on Flickr
DagsBricks

Postby Turing » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:24 pm

Heh. I had *just* finished making my VW Twin-Pod Cloud Car when I decided to check the thread again...

I'll be posting mine when I get a chance to take pictures.

Really loving the creativity here.
Turing

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds