Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Star Warsify The Mini Camper Van Building Contest

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: Star Warsify The Mini Camper Van Building Contest

Postby halfbeak » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:21 pm

Hi! Here's my entry to the contest, the VW Camper Van is now "Wookiee Ornithopterised". The Wookiee Ornithopter is also known as the Raddaugh Gnasp Fluttercraft. Hope you enjoy.

Raddaugh Gnasp Fluttercraft/Mini Camper Van by halfbeak, on Flickr
halfbeak

Postby MotionOTheOcean » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:04 pm

halfbeak wrote:Hi! Here's my entry to the contest, the VW Camper Van is now "Wookiee Ornithopterised". The Wookiee Ornithopter is also known as the Raddaugh Gnasp Fluttercraft. Hope you enjoy.

Not to be nitpicky, but I think this is a stretch on the "instantly recognizable" part of the rules as this doesn't really share any parts with and only a slight shape with the actual van. Not sure how far the customizations can go?
MotionOTheOcean

Postby Solo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:02 am

Looks fine to me, I can see quite a few specific details from the model there. It's definitely a modified VW camper and not some random truck trying to masquerade as one.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby MotionOTheOcean » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:35 am

Solo wrote:Looks fine to me, I can see quite a few specific details from the model there. It's definitely a modified VW camper and not some random truck trying to masquerade as one.

Touche Solo, that is why I asked. Just really wondering how far our "creativity" can go. I guess for me it was to make something that anyone would easily recognize the VW Van from the build, and not just us lego nerds who have seen the model. I actually just made something for the contest myself, that a day ago I would have gawked at so thank you for clarifying. It seems it is always the curse in these contests that there is fuzzy line between our creativity and the rules.
MotionOTheOcean

Postby DagsBricks » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:49 am

Not to be nitpicky, but I think this is a stretch on the "instantly recognizable" part of the rules as this doesn't really share any parts with and only a slight shape with the actual van. Not sure how far the customizations can go?

It's still 10 long and 4 wide with the proper element for the windshield. The front and headlights have the same type of construction. But it looks like the crew cab bus truck version. :) I would have thought the AT-ST went too far with the chopped and dropped look and different wheel wells. But it still looked like the VW van.

Brian
DagsBricks

Postby Nodnarb162 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:10 pm

Here is my entry, Obi Van Kenobi's Lightsaber! a groovy weapon for a more rad age. :p

VW van lightsaber by nodnarb162, on Flickr
VW van lightsaber by nodnarb162, on Flickr
Nodnarb162

Postby onions » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:38 pm

just a quick rules clarification: this contest is open to everyone, NOT just the US/Canada
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby DagsBricks » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:54 pm

VW! Is there anything they CAN'T do?
DagsBricks

Postby MotionOTheOcean » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:44 pm

Naboo N-1-VW StarCamper

I submit the the Naboo N-1-VW StarCamper based on the N-1 Naboo Starfighter flown by Anakin in the Battle of Naboo in Episode I

Anakin Skywalker wrote:"Qui-Gon told me to stay in this cockpit, and that's what I'm going to do!"

Naboo N-1 StarCamper by MotionOTheOcean, on Flickr

Naboo N-1-VW StarCamper by MotionOTheOcean, on Flickr

Anakin Skywalker wrote:"Now this is pod racing!"
MotionOTheOcean

Postby Master Beef » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:18 am

Have you ever wanted to go camping, but just didn't have enough space for all your clones in your SUV? (I'm talking to YOU, Jango Fett!) Well, with the brand-spankin'-new VW Clone Turbo Van with Turbo Teardrop Trailer, you can cast all your worries aside! This van is equipped with state-of-the-art eight-wheel independent suspension that's great for rough woodland terrain conquests, and has enough firepower to rid your campsite of any unwanted guests - bears, wolves, Halfbeak's Bigfoot Ornithopter, or even racoons! This must-have mammoth is available in grey, grey, and grey! Buy now at your local SWVW dealership!

Clone Turbo Van by Elliott Feldman, on Flickr

Go to my Flickr page to see a video of the Clone Turbo Van's functions. Thanks FBTB for hosting this very unique contest! Best of luck to everyone!
Master Beef

Postby hatcher » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:20 pm

Man, these things are fantastic! How are we ever going to choose a winner, they are all so good!
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can understand binary, and those that can't.
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you, you are locked up in here with me!" - Rorshach, Watchmen.
hatcher

Postby DagsBricks » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:03 pm

Master Beef wrote:Have you ever wanted to go camping, but just didn't have enough space for all your clones in your SUV? (I'm talking to YOU, Jango Fett!) Well, with the brand-spankin'-new VW Clone Turbo Van with Turbo Teardrop Trailer, you can cast all your worries aside!

F. T. W.
DagsBricks

Postby murphquake » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:53 pm

Master Beef just owned this contest with "I'm talking to YOU, Jango Fett!" Too awesome
murphquake

Postby Omicron7 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:59 am

This next entry needs no introduction, R2-VW! The worlds most beloved Astrocamper Droid.

R2-VW side by Omicron767, on Flickr

You can see more of the camper look from the back.
R2-VW back by Omicron767, on Flickr
Omicron7

Postby Midi » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:44 pm

Thats a really good looking R2-VW, i was about to start making one as well today after i was done with my eurobricks VW.. oh well i guess i need to think of something else now hehe, really great entries so far guys!! brilliant...
Midi

Postby Galaktek » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:56 pm

Uh oh, looks like MotionOTheOcean and I were working on the same thing :) ... I'm guessing it's ok to post more than one variation on the same Star Wars ship, here goes.

UPDATE: Sorry about the digital background, and thanks for pointing out the issue! Here are replacement images:

T1 Starflyer by Galaktek, on Flickr

T1 Starflyer by Galaktek, on Flickr

For more photos see the full set at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/galaktek/s ... 442357190/
Last edited by Galaktek on Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galaktek

Postby lancethecat1 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:29 pm

As the Rebel commander looks through his binoculars at the snowy horizon, he sees the most impractical land vehicles in the galaxy plodding along in the distance: VW-ATs! With a rotating head, double-jointed legs, and a flaming rear engine, this bumbling behemoth is ready to take on and ultimately fail an Imperial attack on the rebel forces of Hoth.

In the second picture, the incompetence of these voluminous vans of viciousness (okay, I'll stop now) is fully revealed as a VW Bug Snowspeeder (see what I did there?) uses a grappling hook to bring one to its knees.

IMG_5176 by prosperitymentor, on Flickr
IMG_5165 by prosperitymentor, on Flickr
lancethecat1

Postby boudreaux_blackbeard » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:28 pm

This is my first ever LEGO contest entry, the VW Snow Speeder! Good luck to everyone.

Mini VW Bus x Snow Speeder Front by boudreaux_blackbeard, on Flickr

Mini VW Bus x Snow Speeder Rear by boudreaux_blackbeard, on Flickr
boudreaux_blackbeard

Postby MotionOTheOcean » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:59 pm

Galaktek, looks pretty, you may need to replace ur background though as I believe this violates the standard FBTB rule of "The only other image enhancement allowed is replacing the background with either a solid color or simple gradient.". Other than that, very nice entry.
MotionOTheOcean

Postby Solo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:15 am

^ You are correct, and I have contacted them to make sure they know to edit the post. Plenty of time for that at least.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds