Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Planet Series 4 Will NOT Be Released in the U.S.

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

Re: Planet Series 4 Will NOT Be Released in the U.S.

Postby Trooper10 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:02 pm

The_Chosen_1 wrote:^ It actually makes a lot of sense to me. I've never seen any other set clog the shelves quite like the planet sets do.

Hmm in my experience this is about 1/3 correct: ie in each series there had been one lingerer:
Series 1 Sebulba - I got several for about $6 on clearance
Series 2 Cloud Car - about $7.50 on Amazon now
Series 3 seems to be the tie bomber...not really sure yet

Perhaps this strategy is punishment for our "whining" response to SDCC exclusives - NO PLANETS FOR YOU!!!! >:(
Trooper10

Postby Howeesp » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:46 pm

Such a shame. I wanted the B-Wing pilot for my UCS
Howeesp

Postby sparkart » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:25 pm

The Phantom Menace wrote:What's the possibility that this is due to some legal action from a rival (like Hasbro)? Didn't Lego have problems with Hasbro in regards to the SW magnets?

What's the difference between a Dark Lord of the Sith and a lawyer?
One is corrupt and wicked, engaging in a never ending self-centred pursuit of power, the other is a fictional character.
sparkart

Postby GIR3691 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:05 pm

I suspect it's a lack of sales issue more than a legal action. They probably decided to not even bother since the line's being replaced in January anyway.

I've managed to get one of each planet so far for at least 30% off, many times 50%. I think a big ball, a mini ship and a sometimes-exclusive minifigure for $10 can't compete with a battle pack a few inches away on the shelf.

Of course, now I'm annoyed that it'll be hard to have a full set when I have all of wave 1-3. Make it a S@H exclusive or phone order only or something!
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby The Phantom Menace » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:35 am

GIR3691 wrote:Of course, now I'm annoyed that it'll be hard to have a full set when I have all of wave 1-3. Make it a S@H exclusive or phone order only or something!

That's what I don't get, I can understand them deciding not to sell it at other retail outlets, but for them not to be available at Lego stores seems odd. Surely Lego have plenty of other low sellers only for sale through Lego? That's why I think something else is behind it.
The Phantom Menace

Postby murphquake » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:52 am

They should just offer the series 4 planets as a 3 pack "Buildable Galaxy" like they did with the others, via S@H for like $25... right now with the clone LT bonus people would buy 2 sets just for that alone.

Personally I really like the planet sets. If they'd been a little more focused on what they released with them they could have had a real winner here. I wonder if this year's decent selection of SW microscale SW sets had anything to do with the planet sets as competition or being discontinued.

LEGO Star Wars Planet Series 4 ?? Who wants that by murphquake, on Flickr
murphquake

Postby MShiels » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:10 am

We are authorized LEGO dealers here in Canada, and the last series of planets is not coming here as far as I know. Not even in the list of items you can order from LEGO.
ImageIf near Mississauga, come visit us at 2410 Dunwin Drive, Unit 5 - your local Ontario LEGO only store - TRUly the largest selection of LEGO around
And out Bricklink store is http://Shop.LastingToys.Com
MShiels

Postby MitchMitchem » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:40 am

LEGO has been making some very poor decisions lately. They could easily make these a LEGO store/online exclusive (since they already have them produced) which would make the fans happy.
MitchMitchem

Postby Morgan19 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:20 am

Bah, what a weird decision. I've gotten a few planets here and there, but this was the series I was looking forward to getting all three as soon as they were released. I'll make the effort to procure them as long as the cost is similar to what they'd be locally, but I'm not going to bend over backwards for them.
Morgan19

Postby NickBrick » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:48 am

MitchMitchem wrote:LEGO has been making some very poor decisions lately. They could easily make these a LEGO store/online exclusive (since they already have them produced) which would make the fans happy.

Agreed and I've been saying the same things on other forums too.
I wasn't all in with the planet sets but I would buy whatever caught my eye or was on sale or clearance. These could be offered as S@H exclusives.
And I've also been saying there have been some generall questionable decisions from Lego within the past year or two, this one just adds to the pile. Don't get me wrong, I still love Lego and as a company they are miles ahead, customer service wise, then a lot of other places. I've collected many other lines from other companies - Mattel, Hasbro, Playmates, etc - over the years and Lego blew those companies away not just in customer service but in overall general good decisions and collector satisfaction but not so much lately. They set the bar so high, maybe its our fault to being accustomed to it, being spoiled by it?
NickBrick

Postby Raistlin » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:28 pm

Ugh, I'm really disappointed. I wanted that snowspeeder, my FAVORITE SW aircraft. Oh well, looks like I'll be purchasing it online..
Raistlin

Postby Faefrost » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:23 pm

I would guess the most likely cause is that the larger US merchants TRU, Walmart, Target don't want these products. The earlier series didn't sell particularly well. Every store around me is still trying to blow out Series 1's. They are awkward on shelves, and over all don't suit the merchants needs.

Lego is probably just blowing out the stock they had produced in Europe where there is a greater market, and at those Canadian merchants that do order them.
Faefrost

Postby darth_fett » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:33 pm

This might actually be a *smart* move for Lego. They are artificially creating demand for a product and at the same time winning the world's trust by saying: Look, we don't always play favorites w/ NA, here, have something exclusive to u. If they do get released here (probably also in limited quantities) they'll sell like gangbusters now.
darth_fett

Postby Ultron32 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:29 pm

darth_fett wrote:Look, we don't always play favorites w/ NA, here, have something exclusive to u.

[cough]Star Wars Board Game[/cough]
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby Solo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:29 pm

Except that wasn't Lego's decision to favor one region over another, it was them bending to LFL's demand after Hasbro got mad about it encroaching on their board game license. Lego was just releasing it in the only market they could so they wouldn't lose their development costs.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby sparkart » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:23 am

I heard that LEGO leaderhip has a Wheel of Fortune, they call the Wheel of Woe, on which the selections include "Raise prices in Europe", "Don't ship/sell to the USA", "PO AFOLS", etc. It's insidious.
sparkart

Postby kitik » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:27 am

I just received my set of series 4, and Hoth has a little orange mark on it that really stands out. At first I thought it was an error, but it appears on both halves of the planet.

What is this supposed to be? Whatever it is, it looks bad. I love the planet otherwise, though (my son collects them and hangs them in his room).
kitik

Postby Solo » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:01 pm

The location of Echo Base maybe? Blind guess. Please post a photo.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby banthafodder » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:21 pm

I was wondering the same thing. It could be a storm like the great red spot on Jupiter or maybe it's just Taun taun doodie.
The great orange spot by banthafodder, on Flickr
banthafodder

Postby sparkart » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:11 am

There are so many unchartered settlements. It could be smugglers.

But seriously, it would be interesting to hear what this really is, what it's supposed to be. I think it's like what Solo suggests, the location of Echo Base. On fire. After the Imperials blow it up.
sparkart

PreviousNext

Return to Finds/Deals