Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Marvel LEGO Variant Cover Checklist Gets Sketchy

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Marvel LEGO Variant Cover Checklist Gets Sketchy

Postby Staff » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:13 pm

Superior Spider-Man #19 - LEGO Sketch Variant

As if it weren't bad enough that Marvel will be releasing LEGO Variants of 21 titles starting in September, the news is out that there will also be sketch variants of these already limited quantity covers. The standard colour versions look to be in the 1 in 25 variant range and the sketches are sitting pretty at a wallet shattering 1 in 100. If you were planning on collecting all of these covers then it looks like you'll be dropping some serious coin. I for one am glad I've only planned on grabbing a small handful of these and I won't be holding my breath for any sketch covers on this one. I have no solid confirmation that all 21 books will also have sketches, but it's looking good that these covers may just be a costly answer to life, the universe and everything.

Captain America #12 - LEGO Sketch VariantIron Man #17 - LEGO Sketch Variant

At the very least, these sketches have revealed the last three variants that were previously unreleased. Iron Man #17, Captain America #12 and my personal favourite Superior Spider-Man #19. I'll post when the final three colour covers are revealed and as soon as the remainder of the sketch covers show also. We plan on doing weekly posts once these covers are ready to hit shelves and remind folks what are being released, so good luck hunting Mighty Marvelites!

Thor God Of Thunder #14 -LEGO Sketch VariantSecret Avengers #10 - LEGO Sketch VariantNew Avengers #11 - LEGO Sketch VariantMighty Avengers #1 - LEGO Sketch VariantMarvel Universe Avengers Assemble #1 - LEGO Variant Sketch Cover
X-Men #5 - LEGO Sketch VariantIndestructible Hulk #14 - LEGO Sketch VariantFantastic Four #13 - LEGO Sketch VariantAvengers AI #4 - LEGO Sketch VariantAvengers #21 - LEGO Sketch VariantAll New X-Men #17 - LEGO Sketch Variant

Pictures via PREVIEWSworld, TFAW and BleedingCool.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/08/27/marvel-lego-variant-cover-checklist-gets-sketchy/
Staff

Re: Marvel LEGO Variant Cover Checklist Gets Sketchy

Postby Ultron32 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:17 am

Dang, how many of these things am I supposed to buy? As far as sketches go...I like the Deadpool, Doc Ock and Doc Doom.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Why I Hate Variant Covers

Postby Ultron32 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:29 pm

Here's why I hate variant covers:
Apparently for a retailer to buy a variant (Lego) comic cover, they have to buy 25 of the normal cover first. To buy a sketch variant (Lego again) comic cover, they have to buy 50+ of the normal cover.
Hence, when they normally only sell 5-10 copies of an issue of a comic and now they have 25 to get rid of, they need to make their money back somehow.
And of course, the logical way to do this is to drive up the price of the variant cover.
In short, variants are too expensive.
Luckily, my comic shop is also a Lego/toys shop (run by two members of I LUG NY no less) so they'll be getting all of the comic covers, probably excluding the sketch covers.
One of each of the comic covers that is.
Thus driving the price up more.
Thus making it unlikely for me (or anyone) to get ANY of these for any reasonable price.
I told them to save me each one that's $8 or less (though I doubt that will be many) but I'll be calling every Tuesday night as long as the promotion lasts just in case, and to see which ones they get each week.
The whole system for this stinks in my opinion, I think comic stores should get as many as they want, or at least one for every 1-2 normal covers. It's just annoying for everybody but Marvel.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Re: Why I Hate Variant Covers

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:38 pm

I thought one of the main points of variant covers was to be something the shop COULD sell for way more money, thus either enticing them to order more copies of the comic than they ordinarily would, or rewarding them for ordering at that level already. I never got the idea that comic companies did those kinds of limited variant covers as a service to fans. Seems fairly harmless to me, since to my mind the main point of getting a comic is what's inside, which is identical in all cases.

Though I admit that, in a case like this where the variant specifically appeals to a crossover audience of a different product, it would be frustrating to fans attracted by that aspect. But as much as it might seem like these covers are designed to attract LEGO fans to the comics, I don't think that's much of a consideration at all.
Mister Ed

Re: Why I Hate Variant Covers

Postby buriedbybricks » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:44 pm

I didn't see why this had to be an entirely new thread just to whine about a topic that was just posted.

This is nothing new in the comic book world, Marvel certainly isn't the only company that does it and they do it as a reward system to boost sales. If I comic shop could simply buy whatever cover they wanted it wouldn't be an incentive to push a title harder. Individual shops make their order decisions based on sales and so many simply won't get any variants (like mine).

I've collected comics for a long time and I've suggested ditching it to people many times for the following reasons. If you can't afford to buy the comics you want, don't buy the books. If you don't like the practices of the publisher, don't buy the books. If you're only buying as an investment and not because you love the book and will get great enjoyment from it, don't buy the books. I never thought I'd have to suggest not buying comics simply because the buyers wanted them just for the covers, but here we are.

This is a cross promotional push to bring awareness to the existence of the game to the captive audience/comic readership, while it may be a PITA to get these rare covers it's part of being a comic collector. You're either in or you're out. No thought to AFOLs was put into this promo, we're just another group trying to get in on an existing collectors market. Marvel wins, the comic shop wins and those lucky enough to afford the covers win. If you aren't part of that equation, remove yourself from it.
buriedbybricks

Return to Licensed Themes