Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Ben Affleck Cast As The Next Batman

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Ben Affleck Cast As The Next Batman

Postby Staff » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:21 pm

Ben Affleck - Batman
image courtesy of Hollywood Reporter

Yep. It's true. That is the man that will be playing Batman in the next installment of the Superman franchise. Hollywood Reporter as well as a dozen of other sites are reporting that Ben Affleck has been cast to play Batman in Zach Snyder's next Superman movie set to open July 17, 2015. In unrelated and at the same time related news, the Warner Bros.' Justice League movie is still tentatively scheduled for a summer 2015 release (as far as I can tell) to compete against The Avengers 2, but no date is set in stone yet and no. This will be the first time that Batman and Superman appear in a film together. Henry Cavill will reprise his role as Superman.

Why Ben Affleck you may ask?

"We knew we needed an extraordinary actor to take on one of DC Comics' most enduringly popular superheroes, and Ben Affleck certainly fits that bill, and then some. His outstanding career is a testament to his talent, and we know he and Zack will bring new dimension to the duality of this character," said Greg Silverman, Warner Bros.' president of creative development and worldwide production.

and:

Added Snyder: "Ben provides an interesting counterbalance to Henry's Superman. He has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne. I can’t wait to work with him."

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/08/23/ben-affleck-cast-as-the-next-batman/
Staff

Re: Ben Affleck Cast As The Next Batman

Postby onions » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:31 pm

those quotes make me laugh.

not as much as ben's performance in boiler room.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby that guy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:46 pm

Since you brought up Ben's stellar performance in Boiler Room, I thought this quote only seemed appropriate from his character in that movie since he's probably saying it for real now.

"They say money can't buy happiness? Look at the f***ing smile on my face. Ear to ear, baby."
that guy

Postby Brainslugged » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:15 pm

Oops. Double post.
Last edited by Brainslugged on Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brainslugged

Postby Brainslugged » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:15 pm

Going from Christian Bale to Ben Affleck feels like being all bummed out after coming back from Vacation, then realizing you also have to go to work the next day. Plus there should be an automatic ban on any actors who've already played Marvel or DC superheroes to be able to cast for another superhero role. Hollywood can't really be that short of actors can it? Plus why choose someone who can be so readily identified with numerous nerfherder roles?
Brainslugged

Postby banthafodder » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:13 pm

I have to agree with you on superhero experience thing. However, I think they're counting on the thought that no one saw Daredevil.
banthafodder

Postby dWhisper » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:22 pm

I don't blame Affleck for how bad Daredevil was... Daredevil is just a real crappy character overall, and it sat outside any real mythos or popular knowledge. I thought he did about as well with the character as could be expected.

And while I liked the Dark Knight trilogy and all, Christian Bale's Batman was probably the weakest part of the whole thing. As Bruce Wayne, he did quite well, but the movies were defined by the performances of other actors. He did a decent job, but certainly wasn't the reason to watch (unlike, say, Robert Downey Jr. stealing the show as Iron Man / Tony Stark, or Heath Ledger's turn as the Joker).

I'm actual fairly optimistic about this casting. While Affleck has turned in his share of bad movies, he's also had some very good ones. Chasing Amy, State of Play, Good Will Hunting, Argo, and The Town. Plus, he knows the character better than most anyone else that could be cast.

Really, if anything bums me out about the choice of him in casting, it's not putting him in the director's chair as well. Zack Snyder is a sub-par director that relies of violence and over-the-top action over actual story. I don't trust him to do justice to Batman as a character, any more than he really did for Superman.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby gomek » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:48 pm

gomek

Postby rushiosan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:22 pm

I don't see him as a terrible choice. He's just bad enough to not sound like the right pick. Let's be honest: we were not expecting Ben Affleck in another superhero movie since Daredevil failed. That's why everyone is hating this guy, Warner, DC and everyone involved in the decision. I'm staying neutral until this movie is finally released. I cannot foresee how much he'll suck - or surprisingly fit - as the next Batman.

All I can say is: brace yourselves.
rushiosan

Postby Trooper10 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:03 pm

It isn't too late - Adam West is still available...Seriously though, they could do a LOT worse than Ben Affleck.
Trooper10

Postby banthafodder » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:52 pm

^^^^I guess you're right I suppose we could have Johnny Depp. Oh wait, I think Disney has him signed up for the next Star Wars movie to play half track Darth Vader :facepalm:
banthafodder

Postby wegj » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:20 pm

This is the Batman for Superman to beat up on.
WEGJ –keep creating!
http://BRICKSTORMS.com Custom Models and Minifigs
wegj

Postby Mars Needs LEGO » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:57 am

gomek wrote:and que the counter reset

http://hasdcdonesomethingstupidtoday.com/

The counter should reset for every day Dan DiDio is still employed by DC in a managerial capacity. And twice a day every time he gets a writing credit.
Mars Needs LEGO

Postby upnorth77 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:33 am

It's funny, people said almost all this same stuff when Heath "10 Things I Hate About You" Ledger was cast as the Joker.
upnorth77

Postby redbeardlegoman » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:57 am

Part of me is dying inside. But then, part of me knows that this is the cycle of duck-duck-goose for money-making franchise.

Ten years from now, fifteen on the outside, when Batman gets another reboot, we'll all be excited or outraged accordingly.
redbeardlegoman

Postby dWhisper » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:15 pm

upnorth77 wrote:It's funny, people said almost all this same stuff when Heath "10 Things I Hate About You" Ledger was cast as the Joker.

I remember some of the jokes I made. Mostly they surrounded Brokeback Mountain and A Knight's Tale...
dWhisper

Postby freight69 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:24 am

With all due affection to the site, we're going on 4 days now with Affleck's smirked-out mug as the FBTB lede. Surely something can be done about this. :x
freight69

Postby Trooper10 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:36 pm

dWhisper wrote:With all due affection to the site, we're going on 4 days now with Affleck's smirked-out mug as the FBTB lede. Surely something can be done about this.

^^^^^^ +1,000,000 - in all seriousness I was logging in to make the same comment... in the last few days I've gone from not caring to hoping the movie never gets made and poor Mr Affleck gets intimately acquainted with the wrong end of a speeding locomotive...
how about this: http://cdn.lordofthememe.com/2013/6/6/l ... 176977.jpg ?
Trooper10

Postby jfears2 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:05 pm

You all beat me to the punch. Everyday I see his face as the first thing on top I'm beginning to hate the idea of him as Batman more and more and more...

I wasn't too thrilled when I first heard the news, I actually thought it was a joke when I heard it on the radio. As a kid I slowly began to hate the Batman franchise after each movie following Batman Returns. Batman is supposed to be dark and dreary, it's what makes you feel for the pain and anguish the character endures only to fall in love with the success and sacrifice given by the character later, but then we were given the likes of Val Kilmer and George Clooney and supporting actors such as Jim Carrey and Arnold Schwarzenegger... my god I thought they have ruined Batman with ill-fated attempts at pushing humor into the genre and appealing to a larger audience for money alone. Similar to what happened to poor Indiana Jones in the last movie... in the words of South Park, they are literally raping Indiana.

Then we got Batman Begins, I remember the preview and thinking hell yes, the return to the dark and dreary Batman world as it should be, the Dark Knight if you will. And I wasn't let down, I knew Christian Bale (see American Psycho) could play the character they way it was intended, I knew Christopher Nolan could co-write and direct Batman the way it should be.

And so we return to this, Ben "Pancake Head" Affleck (see South Park for the reference). Which I'm positive will be another ill-fated attempt at injecting humor into a role where humor is not intended to be. And yes, maybe he can play the socialite Bruce Wayne, but Bruce Wayne is not humorous, he is suave and sophisticated. Instead we will see another airheaded, tree hugging, a**hat of an actor who has no business playing this role.

.. of course this is just my opinion, which has only become more sour with seeing that smiling mug for the past few days.

End rant :D
jfears2

Postby dWhisper » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:23 pm

Batman is supposed to be dark and dreary?

Two words: Adam... West...
dWhisper

Next

Return to Licensed Themes