Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Barnes & Noble LEGO Architecture Studio Event

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Barnes & Noble LEGO Architecture Studio Event

Postby Staff » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:23 am

Barnes&Noble Event

I'm sort of back after that exhausting Comic Con trip. Still exhausted, but I'm going through my backed up email and saw this come through my feeds. Starting today, July 25 through Sunday July 28, 450 Barnes & Noble locations will host a LEGO Architecture Studio event. There will be a discussion, Q&A, and a building event with some stores hosting a building competition where teams of five compete by building original architectural designs. Most events start at 7:00pm and vary by location. You can hit the BN site to find a participating store near you. Also, I can't seem to dig up any further details, but there seems to be an exclusive LEGO Architecture set that will only be sold at Barnes & Noble and LEGO Brand Retail stores. Full press release below:

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 23, 2013--

Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS), the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products, today announced that 450 Barnes & Noble stores nationwide will host their first-ever LEGO Architecture Studio events and celebrations from July 25-28.

The LEGO Architecture Studio event will feature local architecture experts discussing and demonstrating the parameters and design process in architecture using LEGO bricks to educate and inspire the hands-on building that follows. Participants will have the opportunity to reference the LEGO 250 guide book, experiment and create original architectural designs with more than 1,200 monochromatic building pieces, and learn a few architectural concepts such as scale, mass and density, symmetry, modules and repetition, space and section and surface.

Additionally, the store will offer architecture fans the first look at a new LEGO Architecture product that can only be found for sale in Barnes & Noble and LEGO brand outlets from July 25-28.

"This event is perfect for anyone interested in visual design and the important and profound role design plays in our communities. Aspiring architects, design enthusiasts and LEGO fans will have a hands-on opportunity to explore concepts and discover new insights by constructing 3D models," said Kathleen Campisano, Vice President, Toys & Games, Barnes & Noble, Inc. "Barnes & Noble is excited to partner with LEGO to continue the world-wide conversation and collaborative nature of architectural design through these engaging and fun events."

The LEGO Architecture Studio event is free and open to the public. For further details, contact your local Barnes & Noble store, or visit the Barnes & Noble Store Locator to see what stores in your area will be offering the event.

*Architect availability subject to change without notice.

About Barnes & Noble, Inc.

Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE:BKS) is a Fortune 500 company and the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products. The company operates 675 Barnes & Noble bookstores in 50 states, and one of the Web's largest e-commerce sites, BN.com (www.bn.com). Its NOOK Media LLC subsidiary is a leader in the emerging digital reading and digital education markets. The NOOK digital business offers award-winning NOOK(R) products and an expansive collection of digital reading and entertainment content through the NOOK Store(R) (www.nook.com), while Barnes & Noble College Booksellers, LLC operates 686 bookstores serving over 4.6 million students and faculty members at colleges and universities across the United States. Barnes & Noble is proud to be named a J.D. Power and Associates 2012 Customer Service Champion and is only one of 50 U.S. companies so named. Barnes & Noble.com is ranked the number one online retailer in customer satisfaction in the book, music and video category and a Top 10 online retailer overall in customer satisfaction according to the ForeSee E-Retail Satisfaction Index (Spring Top 100 Edition).

General information on Barnes & Noble, Inc. can be obtained by visiting the company's corporate website: www.barnesandnobleinc.com.

NOOK(R) , NOOK Store(R) , NOOK Video(TM) , and NOOK Video Apps(TM) are trademarks of Barnes & Noble, Inc. Other trademarks referenced in this release are the property of their respective owners.

Follow Barnes & Noble on Twitter (www.bn.com/twitter), Facebook (www.facebook.com/barnesandnoble) and YouTube (www.youtube.com/barnesandnoble).

Carolyn J. Brown, 212-633-4062

Corporate Communications

[email protected]

SOURCE: Barnes & Noble, Inc.

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/07/25/barnes-noble-lego-architecture-studio-event/
Staff

Re: Barnes & Noble LEGO Architecture Studio Event

Postby DarthBuilder » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:30 am

Will be in my area Friday 26th at 6pm. Will let all know how it goes.
DarthBuilder

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:07 am

Saturday at 3 pm for me. I'll be there! Curious to see what the "exclusive" set will be.
The_Chosen_1

Postby starbeanie » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:47 am

starbeanie

Postby Eddmont » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:06 pm

Not quite all that "exclusive" since it will be available starting August 1 on S@H. Here is the link: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Studio-21050
Eddmont

Postby DarthBuilder » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:26 pm

Eddmont wrote:Not quite all that "exclusive" since it will be available starting August 1 on S@H. http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Studio-21050

It should have read from B&N as "Exclusive Architecture Set........er for the weekend......... thanks for attending!" :D

Amazon even has this set for pre order
DarthBuilder

Postby bacon1986 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:43 am

I went to this event last night at my local B&N. We had two leaders, one was a member of the local LUG, and the other was a local architect professor. They talked about two concepts in architecture: scale and repetition. Aside from that, we spent most of the time just building with the white and clear Lego bricks that were there. Looking at the set, I am pretty astounded that they are charging $150 for white and clear bricks! I know there's a pretty hefty book in their too, but seriously, that is way too much to pay for that many bricks when none of them are colored and the pieces are all pretty standard.
Want to know how much your LEGO investment is worth?
Visit BrickPicker.com: LEGO Price and Investing Guide
bacon1986

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:39 am

The book must be what sells this. The product summary also mentions sorting trays, but I can't imagine them being anything special. The rest is just a colourless pile of basic bricks at over twice the price. :shock:

Luckily it's not showing on the German site (yet), so temptation is low.
Gingerbeard Man

Postby SanFerman » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:26 pm

Per this blog post
http://www.newelementary.com/2013/07/like-virgin.html

if you bought the bricks separately, you would end up spending between $10 -$20 (usd) more than if you just buy the set.

The question to ask yourself, is do you want to pay $150(usd) for "these" bricks.
SanFerman

Postby DarthBuilder » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:09 pm

So I attended my local "Event" and it was pretty uneventful, even sad at first as it was only myself and 3 other adults. I watched the B&N staff setup 2 tables and lay out about 30 or so review bags of white and clear bricks out for the build session. They had a pretty decent array of Architecture sets on display available for sale including about a dozen of the 21050 Architecture Studio boxes. Then watched as two employees began reading and rehearsing the read ahead materiel 20 minutes prior to the start. No one present from LEGO or anyone that has anything related to Architecture in anyway was present. I thought maybe a LEGO Store rep would walk up from the downstairs LEGO Store. Nope. After a cringe worthy inspirational "A brick can be a building" pep talk we began to go blind in the sea of unorganized white bricks. After an hour our little builds were complete and left proudly on the display counter.

By the end the group had grown to about a dozen kids and parents so towards the end it was a decent turnout. As other have said here in the forum the book really is the meat of this set not much going on otherwise. Would have been nice to see it but none were available for viewing.

In the end I left empty handed, no take always or sets purchased. If I wanted to spend $150 on white bricks and a big book I'll go to a Store or S@H and at least get VIP point on the purchase.
DarthBuilder

Postby bruce n h » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:09 pm

I priced out the set on BrickLink, and I get that you could reproduce this for about US$80, that was limiting myself to American stores, so GingerbreadMan you could probably do better as there are some German BL stores with pretty good prices. Of course that doesn't count the book. For comparison, the Cult of LEGO was originally listed for $40, and that was hardcover (this one is softcover).

Bruce
bruce n h

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:53 am

One of the advantages of going to BrickLink is that you can choose to substitute some parts if you feel they are lacking in the value-for-money department.

• Do I really need those expensive white 8x8 plates? Why don't I get double the quantity of 4x8 plates instead, at almost a quarter of the cost? (currently New Avg EUR 2.01 per 8x8 vs. EUR 0.27 per 4x8)
  • How about getting all those parts in red or blue, instead of white? (no idea if that could be cheaper, just different...)
  • Depending on the size of my collection I may already have a surplus of the more common bricks and plates, from 1x1 at least through 2x4. So no need to purchase those.
I'd love to see some excerpts from the book, as I believe that will be the deciding factor if the set is worthwhile.

EDIT: Thanks for the review, says the guy who reads the forum top-down...

DarthBuilder wrote:No one present from LEGO or anyone that has anything related to Architecture in anyway was present.

I noticed that the press release has a footnote
*Architect availability subject to change without notice.

and I thought to myself "that could turn into a disappointment at some locations".
Gingerbeard Man

Return to Licensed Themes