Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[SDCC] Azog Giveaway

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

[SDCC] Azog Giveaway

Postby Staff » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:33 am

20130719-082711.jpg

These Azog minifigs are being given away randomly to attendees of Comic Con. These will NOT be handed out at the LEGO booth so don't go askin'.

20130719-083051.jpg

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/07/19/sdcc-azog-giveaway/
Staff

Re: [SDCC] Azog Giveaway

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:57 am

I swear to all things holy, if this turns out to be an exclusive minifig...... >:-(
The_Chosen_1

Postby onions » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:08 am

Well if that "comic con" seal is any indication...
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby gomek » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:10 am

I highly doubt this is an exclusive. I only say that because Lego puts a very high value on new molds. I'm not saying a retail version might not be slightly different, and you certainly won't get that packaging, but it wouldn't be cost effective to make a new mold for an exclusive.
gomek

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:14 am

^ Those are my feelings as well, gomek. But as Ace mentioned, there is that "exclusive" icon. I guess time will tell.
The_Chosen_1

Postby TheAssembler » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:25 am

Man, I hope so much that this is not exclusive! The figure is just amazing and TWO NEW MOLDS?!? This seems like an awesome lot for a giveaway fig. Did any other comic-con exclusives have new molds? I don't think so.

And do you know if that new hand/ prosthetic piece is grippable like a lightsaber blade?
Bustin' stromlings since the days of Beta.

Long live LU!
TheAssembler

Postby dWhisper » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:45 am

Are these leftovers from some special promotion? Because I wonder about a LEGO Father's Day challenge. Either they're planning far ahead or this figure includes some sort of time machine...
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby dWhisper » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:52 am

Could be tomorrow's random giveaway.
dWhisper

Postby bruce n h » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:44 am

These things really annoy me. I'm still bugged that they haven't come out with a Green Lantern fig in any set. On the plus side, I agree that new molds means that this will show up at some future point in a set (unless, otoh, these actually aren't molded but instead are 3d printed or something), at the most with a different torso print. Which, if true, makes the packaging the true exclusive - the lucky few who get this would be crazy to ever open up the clamshell.

Bruce
bruce n h

Postby LongShott72 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:53 am

The front says The Hobbit – The Desolation of Smaug. The back of the holder says Lord of the Rings Father's Day Challenge. That would put it at June 15th 2014.
LongShott72

Postby wegj » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:47 pm

yay more stuff i don't get. :p
WEGJ –keep creating!
http://BRICKSTORMS.com Custom Models and Minifigs
wegj

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:41 pm

As far as I'm concerned, this guy shouldn't have even been in the movies, so if this DOES turn out to be totally exlusive, it won't make much difference to me, personally. ;)
Mister Ed

Postby etcknight » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:07 pm

wegj wrote:yay more stuff i don't get. :p

This. :S
etcknight

Postby ytjedi » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:49 pm

Probably a con exclusive preview figure like they did with the first Superman fig a few years back and the build-a-Bilbo fig they had at a con earlier this year. I'm betting a lucky few get the fig now and then when the new sets come out at the end of the year Azog will show us his defiling days aren't yet done.
ytjedi

Postby darth_fett » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:46 am

I have a question based on the new molds issue. What about the obvious one-off molds? The Rock Raiders monster, the Rancor, now the Goblin King too? Plus there was Hagrid, tantauns, wampas, kaadu, and who knows what else. I'm wondering just how much TLG actually values new molds, especially since many can only be useful for that one line? Its not exactly like the Sands of time dagger which became an Elven short sword. Whose to say really if parts really will show up in other sets? I've yet to see the clown horn from the CMF line show up again and its been what, 8 series since we last saw it? While I'm hopeful things like Con exclusives show up other places, i'm not so sure.
darth_fett

Postby banthafodder » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:36 pm

I think you have to look at it from the perspective of how many pieces they will make with the mold. To spend thousands on a mold only to make 100 figures is not cost effective, unless it is TLG that is selling these on eBay, versus making a specific mold that they will make a few thousand of for a particular set or minifigs. It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever to go through making the Azog mold without including it in future sets.
banthafodder

Postby dWhisper » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:01 pm

I'd suggest taking a run around the How Stuff Works article on LEGO manufacturing.

Effectively, there are two types of mold, one designed as one-offs or limited runs (minifigs, special characters, etc), and one designed for much longer use (typical part molds or very frequently used shapes). This was the problem that led to the windscreen from the original UCS X-Wing never being made again in any other set... the short-term mold had degraded and couldn't be used even if a set could make use of it. Thus, when the new one came out, totally new part.

That being said, the mold isn't really at issue on something like this, it's more of a limited production run. LEGO is more than just the ABS and even the mold, it's also time on a production line, colors, quality control, etc. These are basically limited runs that are never intended to go into mass production as-is, so I wouldn't expect to see it exactly like it is.

Eventually, we'll see an Azog show, he is set up as a primary bad guy, after all, but it's more about where to fit him in the lineup and when to scale up production than a matter of mold choices.
dWhisper

Postby Solo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:38 pm

bruce n h wrote:unless, otoh, these actually aren't molded but instead are 3d printed or something
I looked at this one up close, it's not 3D printed. Looked like a production ready figure to me.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Morgan19 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:59 pm

Morgan19

Next

Return to Licensed Themes