Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

2014 Set News: DC Super Heroes Batman - The Riddler Chase (featuring The Flash)

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

2014 Set News: DC Super Heroes Batman - The Riddler Chase (featuring The Flash)

Postby Staff » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:51 pm

6-bfa84fe09e

Fresh off the news of a few SDCC exclusives that a lot of people want (and only a few people will get), USA Today has posted news of a DC Super Heroes coming up next year, along with a couple of life-size sculptures of Iron Man and Superman. It's an interesting mix, with the Riddler pulling one of The Joker's shticks and using a banana, perhaps to trip up the Flash? I don't see the riddle to it... maybe the comic will explain it.

"Batman: The Riddler Chase" (304 pieces, $29.99) is coming in January.

The two statues will be on display at Comic Con, for those willing to brave the line for a chance at an Exclusive SDCC figures. Iron Man looks especially interesting, as it features lighting and some effects. Superman certainly looks like Henry Cavill, thought he suit looks much more comic's based than from Man of Steel.

Iron Man

Superman Life Size
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/07/15/2014-set-news-dc-super-heroes-batman-the-riddler-chase-featuring-the-flash/
Staff

Re: 2014 Set News: DC Super Heroes Batman - The Riddler Chas

Postby Tricky Brick » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:12 pm

The Riddler is obviously trying to give Bats and The Flash the 'slip'. And what dessert is made to go? Why a banana 'split' of course! That's the best I could come up with!
Tricky Brick

Postby Midi » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:28 am

The logo on the batmobile... could it possibly be Barbara Gordon the Batgirl?
Midi

Postby dWhisper » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:02 am

No way LEGO loves us that much...
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby unmovedmover » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:24 am

I can't imagine them selling a batman set without batman in it. But getting batgirl and flash in one set... <3
unmovedmover

Postby dWhisper » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:11 am

I wanted to put this in the post when I wrote up this little news article, but decided to throw it in the comments instead...

I really, really, really wish that LEGO would stop assuming that the only way someone is going to buy a DC Super Heroes set is if they toss Batman in it. There is exactly zero sets that feature someone other than Batman or Superman... and really Superman is only there for Man of Steel. He was unique in the first run in including a set that didn't have to have Batman, but now, it looks like we're going to be Batman, Superman, or Bust.

There is plenty in the DC universe that can stand on its own. More than that, among kids, there are plenty of DC presence in TV and comics outside of them. There's Justice League, Arrow, and have been plenty of animation recently that featured other characters.

Please, LEGO, give Batman some time off and give us some other characters. Even Green Lantern would work better (and the whole yellow banana thing would totally work to thwart him).
dWhisper

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:15 am

While this looks like a good set that I most likely will be getting, I also question whether it is really true that you can't sell a set without it being a Batman set. I mean, yeah, I'm glad to be able to get the Flash (and previously Aquaman) as minifigs, but is tacking other superheroes on to Batman sets the ONLY way we will ever get them? And will we NEVER see any non-Batman villains outside Lex Luthor?

I suppose if I want some variety of villains, I'll just have to wait for them to make a Legion of Doom set for $200 that I'll never be able to obtain. ;)
Mister Ed

Postby BigRubberMallet » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:27 am

Hey guys, look at riddlers arm. It seems to be a new mold for a different arm position.
Oh cool. I just made a post
BigRubberMallet

Postby buriedbybricks » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:23 am

I'm simultaneously excited to get a Riddler with a proper green bowler and disappointed in myself for wanting a figure that just has a "New Hat!"
buriedbybricks

Postby gomek » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:39 pm

dWhisper wrote:I really, really, really wish that LEGO would stop assuming that the only way someone is going to buy a DC Super Heroes set is if they toss Batman in it. There is exactly zero sets that feature someone other than Batman or Superman..

On this we agree 100%
gomek

Postby minitrue » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:23 pm

The superman bust is made with flesh colored bricks. I would kill for some flesh colored bricks to make my statues with... The tan is just so lame in comparison...
minitrue

Postby Gooker1 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:55 pm

buriedbybricks wrote:I'm simultaneously excited to get a Riddler with a proper green bowler and disappointed in myself for wanting a figure that just has a "New Hat!"

That's why I stopped collecting Malibu Stacy. ;)
Gooker1

Postby kitik » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:13 pm

Riddler has a new torso.

The bat logo almost looks like the emblem on his chest in Beware the Batman...but not quite.
kitik

Postby rifflestein » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:27 pm

I think the reason they keep putting Batman in sets is because of the potential for vehicles. The Flash, Green Lantern, Superman, Wonder Woman, and most of the DC super heroes I can think of get around on their own. There's not really any potential to build anything to go with them. Sure, Green Lantern could create a lot of stuff with his ring, but we won't get a set like that for the same reason we wont get an invisible jet set (no matter how pants-creamingly great that would be). Green Arrow could have a jet (I think I remember him having one), but that's pretty much it. It would be cool to see Lex Luthor get some more cool stuff, but with the Man of Steel sets out, I don't think they'd throw in any more Superman sets for the time being.

There's always the option of using a building as the focus of the set with the heroes and villains fighting around it (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=76005-1), but you have to remember that their primary market is kids. Kids suck up the stuff that goes "vroom vroom," and Batman just has more of it.

You can tell they're at least trying to give us variety. The old Batman line consisted of only Batman characters, so it's good that we're getting some different characters.
rifflestein

Postby dWhisper » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:40 pm

I think you do the same thing that the Lex Luthor set did, and concentrate on the over-the-top mechanism the villain undoubtedly uses. There are plenty of DC Villains that do things like that. That or you go with the playset features around them (who wouldn't want a Superman vs. Doomsday set with a wrecked metropolis street)?
dWhisper

Return to Licensed Themes