Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[SDCC] USAToday Reveals Comic Con Exclusive Minifigs

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

[SDCC] USAToday Reveals Comic Con Exclusive Minifigs

Postby Staff » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:09 pm


Alternate Spider-Man Spider-Woman

Green Arrow Black Suit Superman


Moments ago, USAToday posted their exclusive look at this year's San Diego Comic Con exclusive LEGO minifigures. This year's line up for DC Universe features Black Suit Superman and Green Arrow while Marvel is being repped by Spider-Woman and alternate-suit Spider-Man. As usual, there are no details no how to obtain them. That information will have to be discovered at the con. We will be posting details as soon as we find out any more information so stay tuned.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/07/12/sdcc-usatoday-reveals-comic-con-exclusive-minifigs/
Staff
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: [SDCC] USAToday Reveals Comic Con Exclusive Minifigs

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:13 pm

While I will never understand the point of Con exclusive minifigs, at least this time there aren't any that I'm really irked about never being able to get in a set.
Mister Ed
 
Posts: 1181
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:18 pm

Re: [SDCC] USAToday Reveals Comic Con Exclusive Minifigs

Postby plebeianprint » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:38 pm

As minifigs are my favorite part of Lego, the yearly SDCC super hero exclusives announcement usually angers me. I must be used to it by now, though, as I'm indifferent this year. It could also be that the Arrow figure is the only one that I really want.
plebeianprint
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:07 pm

Re: [SDCC] USAToday Reveals Comic Con Exclusive Minifigs

Postby buriedbybricks » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:52 pm

I feel lucky that I won't be pining after any of these this year. I love Spider-man, but the suit from the ASM movie is literally my least favourite of his and I'm not a New 52 fan so I'm not interested in this Green Arrow either.

I wasn't surprised to see this version of Supes after this exclusive was announced:

Image
buriedbybricks
 
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:41 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: [SDCC] USAToday Reveals Comic Con Exclusive Minifigs

Postby Mars Needs LEGO » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:14 pm

I would have liked to have a Green Arrow minifig, but not at the prices this one will command.

Will there never be a Justice League set without a corresponding live-action movie? I'd sure like to have a Flash, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Black Canary, and Martian Manhunter to stand next to my Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman minifigs.

/pre-New52 DC nerd
Mars Needs LEGO
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:20 pm

Re: [SDCC] USAToday Reveals Comic Con Exclusive Minifigs

Postby Ultron32 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:27 pm

On Flickr, Ultron32 wrote:MY THOUGHTS:
Spiderman - Cool but I don't need one. If they have these at NYCC and I get one, I might sell it (though the collector part of me might not want me to) Thinking about it, seeing that there's a movie version Spiderman now, does anyone else think there might be a chance of getting Rhino/Electro next year for AMS 2? It wouldn't surprise me.
Spider-Woman - This is awesome. I love this figure. My favorite of the bunch.
Green Arrow - same as I said about Spidey. The only part of this that I really love is the torso, though I might keep it if I were to get it, simply so I would have the REAL Green Arrow fig.
Black suit Superman(?) - Exclusive parts count...three (Torso, arms). Though I admit they're some cool parts. I did the same with my normal MoS figure using the Series 10 Sea Captains arms. I wish they had put these arms on Zod/Faora/Tor-An so they would be a little more common/usable. I mean, nobody's gonna take these arms off. Anyone else think it would have been cooler to get the energy suit Superman? Y'know, the blue & white one? I think that would be cool. Especially now that they can apparently make trans-blue arms...
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:47 am

Re: [SDCC] USAToday Reveals Comic Con Exclusive Minifigs

Postby JovAwesome » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:41 pm

Dammit!
I freakin love TASM 2 suit, and the fact that they made it into Lego is even more Awesome, but I really hope they make sets for it, or I will have to pay 200 dollars for it on Ebay!
JovAwesome
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:26 am

Re: [SDCC] USAToday Reveals Comic Con Exclusive Minifigs

Postby mjacobson » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:08 pm

Well, I'm going to roll the dice and take my chances. It'll be nothing or Supes, 'cuz that's my luck. I wasn't there on Friday last year, but I made sure I'd be there this year.
mjacobson
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:04 am

Re: [SDCC] USAToday Reveals Comic Con Exclusive Minifigs

Postby gomek » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:36 am

I don't know how much complaining has go on for Lego to stop doing this but apparently despite my rants it's far from enough. Like many of you I'm left hoping Lego puts out an inferior product that I'm not interested in, so I don't get fleeced on Ebay. In this case I have little interest in two of the four figures, but two is enough for me to feel thoroughly burned by the Lego company.

I am a grown man with a good job, and the fact that I am made to want for a plastic figure I can't afford, because some #$@#$@!# in marketing thinks it's cool to under produce figures makes me irritated to no end. F Lego. There I said it.
gomek
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: [SDCC] USAToday Reveals Comic Con Exclusive Minifigs

Postby dWhisper » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:42 am

Um... yeah, a bit of an overreaction? While I'm no fan of this (and even working on an article / post about it), the simple fact is LEGO has no reason to cater to any individual customer. I'm willing to accept these a lot more than I was in the ones two years ago, where they had Green Lantern as an exclusive figure and never released him. I don't mind the marginal or B-listers all that much showing up in exclusives, but I'm not sure why you'd expect every figure to be catered to specific buyers.

And it's not as if LEGO is doing something that is unique here. Don't complain about LEGO, complain about the whole idea of the SDCC exclusive. All of the manufacturers do it, and continue to do it. This is one among many for toys most of us will never see.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:56 pm
Location: The Arkansas Wasteland

Re: [SDCC] USAToday Reveals Comic Con Exclusive Minifigs

Postby gomek » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:28 am

dWhisper wrote:Um... yeah, a bit of an overreaction?


Not sure if this at the thread or my comments, but I don't think it's an over re-action at all. $200 per figure on Ebay for $2 mini-figure. That is really obscene and deserves a pretty bad reaction. (And yes, Lego does control price; they control the supply, and know the demand, thus they set the price directly. To think otherwise is to not understand simple economics).

Personally I don't care much if customers of other brands are getting fleeced on Ebay with exclusives. I am a loyal Lego customer and a complete-ist. I care that I'm getting fleeced. I've been collecting through thick and thin since 1975. I care that I can't have a complete collection without paying for someone else's Toy fair tickets, lunch, dinner and then some. For $200 I should get a huge set, not a single mini-figure. This practice is rude and obnoxious.
Last edited by gomek on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
gomek
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: [SDCC] USAToday Reveals Comic Con Exclusive Minifigs

Postby Mister Ed » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:34 am

dWhisper wrote:Um... yeah, a bit of an overreaction? While I'm no fan of this (and even working on an article / post about it), the simple fact is LEGO has no reason to cater to any individual customer. I'm willing to accept these a lot more than I was in the ones two years ago, where they had Green Lantern as an exclusive figure and never released him. I don't mind the marginal or B-listers all that much showing up in exclusives, but I'm not sure why you'd expect every figure to be catered to specific buyers.


For my part, I wish they would focus on any "buyers" at all with such figs. As I understand it, nobody is buying these figs. I'm at a loss to explain how it benefits them to ONLY make figs to give away free at an event where such giveaways seem to have the result of not driving people to actually experience their booth, but drive people away with massive lines and crowds of people that are ONLY there to try to get their hands on the "exclusives". Does creating such a zoo atmosphere at the convention, and creating a desirable product that they then categorically refuse to sell to the majority of people interested in LEGO, actually get people more excited about LEGO on the whole? Maybe it does, but I'm at a loss to see how. And I can't quite figure how giving away a few thousand figs at a single event, and making it clear that's the only way to get them, can possibly result in more revenue than being open to including those same figs in sets they can sell for money at some later point.

dWhisper wrote:And it's not as if LEGO is doing something that is unique here. Don't complain about LEGO, complain about the whole idea of the SDCC exclusive. All of the manufacturers do it, and continue to do it. This is one among many for toys most of us will never see.


Oh, I aware that they are not alone. And the system IS really what I don't get, but I frame my dissatisfaction in reference to LEGO specifically because a.) this is a LEGO specific forum, and b.) I don't care all that much about other types of convention-exclusive toys.

Though I have seen some examples of other such toys handled in a less aggravating fashion, from making them available for purchase to others after the convention (so not REALLY exclusives, but more early access), to having the "exclusive" nature of such products be limited to the packaging, and so being more squarely aimed at the sort of collectors that JUST collect stuff, without playing with it.
Mister Ed
 
Posts: 1181
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:18 pm

Re: [SDCC] USAToday Reveals Comic Con Exclusive Minifigs

Postby onions » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:24 pm

gomek wrote:(And yes, Lego does control price; they control the supply, and know the demand, thus they set the price directly. To think otherwise is to not understand simple economics).


i don't think we have the same understanding on economics. they don't set the price directly. it's the people who buy the figs at the inflated price that sets the price directly. this is a perfect example of one of the basic principles of supply and demand. lego's price is free, demand is high and their supply runs out. the supply in the aftermarket is even more limited, thus driving up the price to whatever the market will sustain, $10, $100, $1000, whatever someone is willing to pay. yes, lego most likely has some idea of the demand, but a promotion is a promotion and it's designed to build hype and excitement around the brand. like dwhisper said, lego's not the only company to do this, and they won't be the last.
onions
Damp Noodle
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:45 pm

Re: [SDCC] USAToday Reveals Comic Con Exclusive Minifigs

Postby Mister Ed » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:00 pm

onions wrote: but a promotion is a promotion and it's designed to build hype and excitement around the brand.


That's the part I don't get. I imagine this is just evidence that I'm not suited to a career in marketing, but I'm unable to conceive of the mechanism whereby making product that you won't sell, and which is very, very difficult to obtain, builds hype and excitement around the brand.

I mean, people that aren't already interested in LEGO are unlikely to be swayed by this tactic. They are very likely never even going to find out that these products exist.

Those that are interested in LEGO, but are unable to get such product, are unlikely to be more hyped and excited about the brand by the fact that they CAN'T get these special products. Or so I would imagine.

And it seems like, among those that DO get their hands on them, many are already excited about the brand, or they wouldn't brave the chaos to try to get these, and others are only excited about the brand to the extent that they feel they can resell these items for large sums later on.

I'm just not seeing the chain of events leading from these sorts of exclusives to increased revenue for LEGO.
Mister Ed
 
Posts: 1181
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:18 pm

Re: [SDCC] USAToday Reveals Comic Con Exclusive Minifigs

Postby Tohst » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:13 pm

Mister Ed wrote:
onions wrote: but a promotion is a promotion and it's designed to build hype and excitement around the brand.


I'm just not seeing the chain of events leading from these sorts of exclusives to increased revenue for LEGO.


SDCC, and marketing in general, is partially about optics. If a buyer for Target sees a horde of people screaming for your exclusive they think, 'Hey, this is popular'. If your exclusives are going for $200 bucks on ebay, the same buyers take notice. If your exclusive creates a buzz, even if its people complaining about its exclusive nature, the buyers take notice. And those buyers tell Target how much Lego it should buy.

Now you say to yourself, "Self, that's all a well and good thought experiment but Lego is an established brand. Target buyers love it already. Why do this to yourself, Lego?"

Well, because kre-o and megablox are nipping at their heels. And if Lego can continue to cement itself as the must have toy year after year after year, they will continue to nip at Lego's heels, but never take market share.

And quite frankly, exclusives are fun for the companys doing them. Part of that is because internal to the company, it is much easier to get one. You just need to know a guy that knows a guy.

-Tohst
Tohst
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:53 am

Re: [SDCC] USAToday Reveals Comic Con Exclusive Minifigs

Postby onions » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:46 pm

i wish i knew a guy.
onions
Damp Noodle
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:45 pm

Re: [SDCC] USAToday Reveals Comic Con Exclusive Minifigs

Postby gomek » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:09 am

i don't think we have the same understanding on economics.


I think we have the same understanding of economics. I think we just disagree on responsibility, and corporate ethics.

We agree that the price is determined by supply and demand.

Consumers help set the price with their demand, that we agree on. Consumers are not an organized entity though, so they don’t control the price. A couple people can ban together and refuse to get fleeced, but that wouldn’t have much impact.

The Lego company however directly controls the supply; therefore, the Lego group is the only entity that is able to control the price. They know that if they choose to drastically undercut supple, price gauging and counterfeiting will ensue. Drastically undercutting supply is a choice, one that they, and they alone, make.

I feel that $200 for a Lego mini-figure is obnoxious and shows a lack of corporate ethics. That’s an opinion. Lego is the sole entity in control of the supply of mini-figures; and thus the only entity that can, and does, control price. That is a fact.
gomek
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:36 pm


Re: [SDCC] USAToday Reveals Comic Con Exclusive Minifigs

Postby dWhisper » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:46 am

I don't think you understand what ethics are, either.

Make no mistake, LEGO cares absolutely nothing about you as an individual consumer. They are under no pressure to market sets to individual people, and they owe us absolutely nothing. They are a toy manufacturer, and they're out there to make a profit. We have no specific rights to every one of their products, and LEGO has no specific right to us spending it there. It's a choice, on both ends.

They don't have to make anything. They could decide, tomorrow, that they're only going to sell sets and minifigures to people named Carl, and they can do it. And there's nothing wrong or unethical. Unwise from a business standpoint, sure. But ethics dictate corporate behavior in the greater world. An ethics violation would be if they were polluting up 3rd world countries to make the packaging we all throw away. It's taking the money that customers spend and using it to fund a drug cartel. It's any number of things.

What it most certainly is not is making a product that the average consumer can't get. If that were true, every luxury car manufacturer would be guilty of it. Hell, every manufacturer would be guilty of it, from LEGO for making Comic Con exclusives to Apple for making pretty much everything they do.

Let's call this what it is: you feel some sense of entitlement to be able to buy something. And it's fine if you want something and you're a bit annoyed that you can't get it, because you're not attending the event. Or even more so to be annoyed because you can't get it and you are attending the event. But to think that because you spend money on a product, you deserve the right to buy everything you want from them, no matter the circumstance is just flat out wrong. Economics and ethics have absolutely nothing to do with it.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:56 pm
Location: The Arkansas Wasteland

Re: [SDCC] USAToday Reveals Comic Con Exclusive Minifigs

Postby onions » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:48 am

responsibility and corporate ethics has NOTHING to do with supply and demand. if you feel that $200 is too much for a minifig, then don't buy it. you can't blame lego for setting the price because they are not selling it to you. you can blame lego for creating a short supply, but their responsibility ends there. do what everyone else does and blame the resellers.
onions
Damp Noodle
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:45 pm

Next

Return to Licensed Themes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests