Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Back To The Future Set Revealed

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: Back To The Future Set Revealed

Postby ZetoVince » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:13 am

Anyone who finds it ugly, should blame only those who voted for it!thus many of them should blame themselves!
What could you expect?? A realistic looking, playable, minifig scale car that can fit a minifig is an impossible combination! Voting for this impossible combination was a waste of opportunity for an actual possible creation to be made. In this case that model it is playable, but does not look alike, it's not minfig scale and there is only a chance to fit a minifig. (we don't know for sure)
So who is to blame? For me it is definitely not a designer's fault.
ZetoVince

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:16 pm

ZetoVince wrote:Anyone who finds it ugly, should blame only those who voted for it!thus many of them should blame themselves!

So who is to blame? For me it is definitely not a designer's fault.

Huh? Was the model that people voted on REALLY that unrealistic of a design for actual production? Not to say that they would actually use the exact design, but if the design voted on looked better, and wasn't totally unreasonable, then absolutely it is the designer's fault if what they come up with is something that looks worse.
Mister Ed

Postby Solo » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:33 pm

Voting for this impossible combination was a waste of opportunity for an actual possible creation to be made.
I don't see that as a valid complaint at all. People have unlimited votes to cast and of the projects approved they've yet to say "well we're making X so we can't do Y, sorry". And as far as blaming the voters for the result... really?
Nothing wrong with being optimistic and there's definitely more than one way to "legally" build the car. The designers are chained down by certain rules when making any set, but they're still the ones designing it.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby onions » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:55 pm

ZetoVince wrote:A realistic looking, playable, minifig scale car that can fit a minifig is an impossible combination!

i dunno, looks possible to me:

WIP - DeLorean - rough by Larry Lars, on Flickr

WIP - DeLorean time machine by Larry Lars, on Flickr
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby ZetoVince » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:11 am

Guys really? Do you think that the original design was minifig scale? (almost double the height of a minifigure and 8-studs wide, is not minifig scale) or do you think that the pretty one Larry Lars made will meet the TLG's playability factors? For me it's obvious, wait for the final model and you will see it too!

Also it's not that complicated to think that voting and supporting all these impossible projects, the result will be that one of them will eventually have to be approved cause TLG CANNOT always say no to the "succesful" CUUSOO projects.
Another similar example of this voters' fault is the Brent Waller's tumbler project. I really like that model but i will not vote for it! Hell no! Vote what? You have to be an ignorant to vote for a model that TLG has already produced the same bloody year! Does it make any sense to vote for it???
ZetoVince

Postby Solo » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:11 am

"Minifig scale" is a joke, they only worry about what looks best for the task at hand. That's how you end up with system cars ranging from this to this. The scale they went with is fine. That's not the problem. It's the detailing, which I think they could have done better even within the handbook and at that size.

And yes, actually, Lego absolutely can say no to every Cuusoo project that comes along. That's part of the deal. They aren't obligated to do anything and if they didn't like the ideas coming through they would just shut the thing down. And like I already said about the unlimited votes, it's not like picking one means shunning another. Vote for both. Vote for everything you even sort of like. Not supporting a model you like because you think Lego veto it is ridiculously pessimistic, even by my standards. You have literally nothing to lose by voting for it and everything to gain. Even if it turns out different from the design you wanted to see made you won't be forced to buy the final product if it makes it through. Your thought process confounds me. It's like you're missing the point of Cuusoo entirely.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby ZetoVince » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:12 am

Solo wrote:"Minifig scale" is a joke, they only worry about what looks best for the task at hand. That's how you end up with system cars ranging from this to this. The scale they went with is fine. That's not the problem. It's the detailing, which I think they could have done better even within the handbook and at that size.

And yes, actually, Lego absolutely can say no to every Cuusoo project that comes along. That's part of the deal. They aren't obligated to do anything and if they didn't like the ideas coming through they would just shut the thing down. And like I already said about the unlimited votes, it's not like picking one means shunning another. Vote for both. Vote for everything you even sort of like. Not supporting a model you like because you think Lego veto it is ridiculously pessimistic, even by my standards. You have literally nothing to lose by voting for it and everything to gain. Even if it turns out different from the design you wanted to see made you won't be forced to buy the final product if it makes it through. Your thought process confounds me. It's like you're missing the point of Cuusoo entirely.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my thoughts.
No need to explain further what i think about the "minifig scale",obviously you don't care about this subject and i care a lot as you can see from my lego work, so we see it from very different angle.

About CUUSOO, let me say first that i hate the whole project, i don't want to argue about its methods, i hate it, i visit it to see what's going on there cause unfortunately it is a big part of our community and that's all. My brief opinion about it is that it started as a clever promo thing, but the way they run it after all these project disapprovals shows disrespect for all those adding their lego projects and those wasting time to vote for them. If i were them I would shut down the whole project before it turns into bad advertisement.

I'm amazed that you think that TLG can disapprove any project. If they do that it will ruin the project, don't you see that if they keep doing that the displeased people will be more than the pleased ones? Everywhere, in everything there can be statistical approach, TLG may say they can disapprove any project but doesn't mean they can actually do it, they have to approve some (one or two, per years it seems to be the pattern) in order to keep things working. If not they will ruin the project and turn it against them cause many people can see it as disrespect (i already see it as disrespect) of the public opinion, the opinion that this project is supposed to satisfy.
ZetoVince

Postby onions » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:01 pm

don isn't saying they WILL disapprove every project, but they CAN if they CHOOSE to. realistically speaking, they're not going to disapprove everything. part of the problem with some projects reaching the 10k vote threshold only to be turned down is that some of those projects doesn't fit what cuusoo is about. it's not about making a new theme, or a new part, or a new license (even though minecraft and back to the future are licensed properties, it's still not what cuusoo is about), or a new set in an existing license. once people understand that, then i think less people will be disappointed in the end.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby buriedbybricks » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:31 pm

Solo wrote:That Mustang though... man. Were there any good muscle cars in the '80s? At all?

IMO, no. By the end of the 90's I couldn't give two sweet craps about cars anymore. Except the geeky ones (just picked this up yesterday to go with the less detailed standard HW one I already had.)

If they had used a fridge though, we could have been using the "Nuke the fridge" expression for nearly 30 years...
buriedbybricks

Postby SonOfSolo » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:40 pm

So this is going to be an SDCC exclusive, right?? Can't wait to grab one if it's true.
SonOfSolo

Postby Solo » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:17 pm

Man. If that is true, that would be hilarious. "Oh, I thought you all hated this set? Well now that it's an exclusive I can't imagine you'll be that interested" and then boom. $200 aftermarket price.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby dWhisper » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:36 pm

The bottom of the ad in the original post says that it's exclusive to Lego Shop@Home and LEGO Stores.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby ytjedi » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:22 pm

dWhisper wrote:The bottom of the ad in the original post says that it's exclusive to Lego Shop@Home and LEGO Stores.

Well, at least it is for the UK. The July calendar for the US didn't have anything about it. LEGO still has yet to officially say anything about it. You'd think with it plastered all over the UK calendars now that we'd have something. A big reveal with the full box art, product description, etc.
ytjedi

Postby dWhisper » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:23 am

LEGO's typical response to a leak like this on the internet is to demand that the internet stop working how it always works and then to pretend that no one knows anything about it.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Marty » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:38 am

Phew! I go away for a little while and this happens?
Having seen this car (I mean the real one at it's launch outside the Belfast telegraph, many moons ago.) I cant say I'm overjoyed at this effort from Lego. I did think the one on the cuusoo site whom most voted for wasn't a bad effort, and Lars certainly beats that in terms of design. But heres the thing, it's going to sell no-matter what it looks like because people, (kids too!) will buy this thing because it's a collectors item and it will remind them of the film. I'll buy the set myself, and the first thing I'm doing is try to re-create "lars" version. As for CUUSOO, I think it's a good idea to get your designs across, okay I might not like the designs, but if people vote for them then there must be a market. (Or some person has gone overboard with voting?)
Regardless, the only peeve I have with this, why did they (LEGO) change the original design, as it's what the voters wanted in terms of the set design.

As for the release date, it's supposed to be the 18th July, but if this is true they're being very slow on releasing pricing and other info like which Lego site example UK or US, it's possible to buy it from, is there a limited supply?

Marty
Marty

Previous

Return to Licensed Themes