Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Back To The Future Set Revealed

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Back To The Future Set Revealed

Postby Staff » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:55 pm

LEGO CUUSOO Back To The Future DeLorean

UK-based LEGO fansite Brick Fanatics gives us the first glimpse of the LEGO CUUSOO project, Back to the Future, from a LEGO store newsletter obtained in the store. After achieving the required 10,000 votes on LEGO CUUSOO over 6 months ago, the set is now a reality and according to the image, will be available for purchase starting July 18th. There doesn't seem to be any minifigs included in the set as none are pictured. There IS a flux capacitor, however the model designers somehow managed to make an already terrible rendition of the DeLorean look even worse. I'll reserve final judgment until I get my hands on the set but it's not looking pretty.

The on-sale date happens to coincide with San Diego Comic Con which is happening July 17-21. Coincidence? We shall see.

via Brick Fanatics

image credit to Brick Fanatics
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/06/22/back-to-the-future-set-revealed/
Staff

Re: Back To The Future Set Revealed

Postby CloneEmperor » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:45 pm

I'll take three ...

/oneupmanship
CloneEmperor

Postby SDIronClaw » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:32 pm

In the words of Luke Skywalker, "What a piece of junk!" I don't care if it goes .5 past lightspeed....I'm not impressed. If it comes with mini-figures the wife might want it, since she is a 80's movie junkie.
"I find your lack of Lego disturbing."
SDIronClaw

Postby wyldjedi » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:18 pm

A whole lotta 'meh' in my eyes. The car looks pretty ugly. Even spectacular minifigures couldn't save this.
wyldjedi

Postby banthafodder » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:31 pm

I have to agree. Looks like the Thunderbird after it went over the cliff.
banthafodder

Postby Flynn » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:07 am

WOW, that's an ugly set.

I really hate being that negative about it, but yeah, that is not an aesthetically-pleasing look it's got going on. We should probably be glad that they did appear to fit in fold-down wheels and gull-wing doors, but man did they choose an ugly way of going about it.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:34 am

If this doesn't come with minifigures, it'll be a HUGE fail.
The_Chosen_1

Postby sparkart » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:53 am

What happened to it? Looks like too many concessions were made to make it build-able and play-able. I know and endorse that all great LEGO builds do NOT have to be spot-on, and that the art in LEGO is oftentimes the impressionistic suggestion of shapes, but that's off, way off, from the original, and the original LEGO prototype.

The unwashed masses will definitely buy it, because it's LEGO and BTTF, and money is going to charity (kudos on that), but I think it's going to be bought and collected MIB, rather than built. I suspect there will be lots of speculation buying of this from disinterested people just looking to flip it to nerd-geeks who miss the opportunity to buy it.
sparkart

Postby etcknight » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:39 am

I sincerely hope that's not the final design. Did they use a 1st grader to build it?! >:(

When you see Ewok Village, then something like this, you gotta wonder what were the designers thinking?
etcknight

Postby batsamd » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:32 pm

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the majority, this set is not impressive at all.

If it doesn't come with minifigures then I'm assuming it's made for display but the shape doesn't say "DeLorean" to me.

It appears to be based off of the DeLorean in BttF 3, probably my least favorite version, but it should be easy to remove the extra stuff to get it to BttF 2 style.

Can the model sit 2 minifigures, to me it looks like it can only fit one, if there's a way to open/remove the roof, since there are no doors?
batsamd

Postby The Phantom Menace » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:57 pm

The DeLorean should be one of the easier cars to build in Lego due to its angular shape. But it's that iconic flat angular bonnet that they've really messed up on, it simply doesn't exist in the model.

I wonder if minifigures will be hard to come by, because I wonder if they have to get the actors permissions to make them. Whereas with SW Lucasfilm hold the rights to the actors' images (except those Mos Eisley twins).
The Phantom Menace

Postby sterow » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:26 pm

Looking at pics like this _ http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-60JZ5B69U_M/U ... ure-02.jpg - it's clear what's gone wrong is they haven't used that big low slope that the prototype used for the bonnet. Is that part not in production at the moment?

Fix that and the model would instantly look way better.
sterow

Postby DarthNick » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:52 pm

@Sterow: Even just a 3x4 slope would be a huge improvement.

Minus the hood, it's not too horrible, but far from great.
DarthNick

Postby The Phantom Menace » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:40 am

http://www.bricknews.co.uk/NewsArticle.aspx?NewsID=354

There will be two minifigures, Marty and the Doc, plus you'll be able to build all three version of the car, so perhaps that's why it looks a bit odd.
The Phantom Menace

Postby batsamd » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:29 am

It's nice to be able to build any of the three versions of the car, to bad the minifigures will only correspond to the original version of the car.

Wonder if it would've been better to do 3 separate sets with their corresponding versions of Marty and Doc.
batsamd

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:43 am

Great!! I'm so glad that the set will include minifigures. That just made it instantly more appealing. :cool:
The_Chosen_1

Postby madLEGOman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:47 am

Uggggg that hood is terrible
madLEGOman

Postby Brainslugged » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:23 am

The Phantom Menace wrote:Lucasfilm hold the rights to the actors' images (except those Mos Eisley twins).

That line just really piqued my interest. I've never heard anything about this and looking it up on Wookieepedia hasn't helped. Can you elaborate? I don't understand how Lucasfilm could not have the rights to any of the characters in its movies, but is sounds interesting.
Brainslugged

Postby Brainslugged » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:35 am

Brainslugged wrote:I've never heard anything about this and looking it up on Wookieepedia hasn't helped.

I found this discussion about it if anyone else is interested (sorry about being off topic):

http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1036146/

On-topic: I though the BTTF set was a giant meh till the announcement that it could make all three cars and come with figs. The dates on the inside are a fabulous touch too.
Brainslugged

Next

Return to Licensed Themes