Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Life-sized LEGO Star Wars X-wing Model Revealed

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Life-sized LEGO Star Wars X-wing Model Revealed

Postby Staff » Thu May 23, 2013 8:34 am

Life-sized LEGO Star Wars X-wing Starfighter
image courtesy of Gizmodo

You know that even in Times Square happening today, right now as I type this? The big reveal is a life-sized LEGO Star Wars X-wing model. Naturally, Gizmodo's got the scoop with the pic above. The below press release was also transmitted over the interwebs. We have a field reporter onsite who will be taking pictures and writing up his experience of the event which we will publish later today, so stay tuned.

If you want to check out a video of how the model went from concept to reality, Popular Science has that as well as a bunch more photos.

After the unveiling today, the model will find its way over to LEGOLAND California where it will be on permanent display. The arrival date for the X-wing will be June 13th, right in time for Star Wars Days happening on Father's Day weekend June 15-16.

The LEGO Group Unveils World's Largest LEGO® Model To Delight LEGO Star Wars(TM) Fans Across The Galaxy

-More than five million LEGO bricks used to create life-sized X-Wing starfighter in celebration of new LEGO Star Wars animated TV special "The Yoda(TM) Chronicles" premiering on Cartoon Network-

NEW YORK, May 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The LEGO Group today unveiled the world's largest LEGO model, a 1:1 replica of the LEGO® Star Wars(TM) X-Wing starfighter, in New York's Times Square. To celebrate the upcoming premiere of The Yoda Chronicles on Cartoon Network on Wednesday, May 29 at 8:00 p.m. (ET, PT), the massive replica took 32 master builders, five million LEGO bricks and over 17,000 hours to complete. The model weighs nearly 46,000 pounds, stands 11 feet tall and 43 feet long, with a wingspan of 44 feet. The Model will "take off" for a summer landing at LEGOLAND® California Resort where it will be installed through the remainder of the year.

"Just as kids love to test and hone their LEGO building skills and imaginative storytelling, our LEGO Master Builders are always testing their creative skills to top their last larger-than-life sized creations," said Michael McNally, Brand Relations Director for LEGO Systems. "The size and structural complexity of a freestanding model 42 times the size of one our retail sets was a challenge they could not resist."

LEGO Star Wars is the original and most successful licensed product collection in The LEGO Group's history and remains among the best-selling global toy lines. The theme's evergreen strength comes from its appeal across generations to fans of all ages and a steady introduction of digital content such as The Yoda Chronicles to compliment the building experience.

"Much the same way that fans can build the Star Wars universe with our LEGO sets, we are fortunate to work with Lucasfilm to build new stories, characters and vehicles through one-of-a-kind content such as the new 'Yoda Chronicles' miniseries launching on Cartoon Network," said Nicholas Hort, LEGO Star Wars brand manager.

LEGO Star Wars X-Wing Starfighter Model Fun Facts

-- Contains 5,335,200 LEGO bricks
-- Weighs 45,980 pounds
-- Height: 11 feet / 3.35 meters
-- Length: 43 feet / 13.1 meters
-- Wingspan: 44 feet / 13.44 meters
-- 32 builders spent 17,336 hours to construct - about 4 months
-- Built in the LEGO Model Shop in Kladno, Czech Republic
-- Is a one-to-one replica of LEGO Star Wars set #9493; The model is 42x
the size of the retail building set
-- The model was heavily engineered to withstand all the transportation,
setup/break down and to ensure it was safe for Times Square given the
subway system below and California's seismic requirements for the
LEGOLAND California Resort installation.
How to Celebrate From a "Galaxy Far, Far Away" with Cool Content and LEGO Bricks

"The Yoda Chronicles"

The Yoda Chronicles isan exciting, funny and action-packed new LEGO Star Wars story told in three animated TV specials. "The Phantom Clone" will premiere on Wednesday, May 29 at 8:00 p.m. (ET, PT) on Cartoon Network with specials two and three airing later this year. In the first of three specials, a brand new character, Jek 14 will enter the Star Wars universe. Created by the LEGO Group, Jek 14 is a clone who has been 'enhanced' by the Force.

LEGO Star Wars Red Five X-Wing Starfighter(TM)
The most detailed and realistic version of the construction set, the LEGO Star Wars Red Five X-Wing Starfighter, is now available as the ultimate collectible. This exclusive model that contains over 1,500 LEGO bricks comes with a special display stand and data sheet label, is available at LEGO® brand retail stores and shop.LEGO.com for $199.99 USD.

For more information, visit LEGO.com/StarWars

About The LEGO Group
LEGO Systems Inc. (LSI) is the Americas division of The LEGO Group, a privately-held firm based in Billund, Denmark that is the world's leading manufacturer of construction toys. The company is committed to the development of children's creative and imaginative abilities through high-quality, creatively educational play materials, and its employees are guided by the motto adopted in the 1930s by founder Ole Kirk Christiansen: "Only the best is good enough." For more information, visit www.LEGO.com

LEGO, its logo and the Minifigure are trademarks of The LEGO Group. ©2013 The LEGO Group.

STAR WARS, THE CLONE WARS and related character names are trademarks and/or copyrights, in the United States and other countries, of Lucasfilm Ltd. and/or its affiliates.

©2013. TM & © Lucasfilm Ltd. All rights reserved.

SOURCE The LEGO Group

The LEGO Group

Web Site: http://www.LEGO.com

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/05/23/life-sized-lego-star-wars-x-wing-model-revealed/
Staff

Re: Life-sized LEGO Star Wars X-wing Model Revealed

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Thu May 23, 2013 8:42 am

Holy $#!%!!!! Now THAT is impressive.....!!
The_Chosen_1

Postby cas » Thu May 23, 2013 8:59 am

That's insane! I want to sit in it.

Now do the TIE Fighter!
cas
Staff Writer

Postby theone » Thu May 23, 2013 9:03 am

wait - is it made with big bricks or just made to look like its made with big bricks, either way im a bit meh
theone

Postby freight69 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:05 am

With 5.3 million bricks involved, they have to be the normal variety.
freight69

Postby eagle eye » Thu May 23, 2013 10:10 am

I think it can be brick linked
eagle eye

Postby wegj » Thu May 23, 2013 10:11 am

This is one of the most awesome things I've ever seen!
WEGJ –keep creating!
http://BRICKSTORMS.com Custom Models and Minifigs
wegj

Postby onions » Thu May 23, 2013 10:25 am

Time magazine apparently was also given advance notice to write up their article:

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/05/23/the ... -wars-toy/
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby vynsane » Thu May 23, 2013 10:48 am

Here's some shots from the official reveal:

Untitled by vynsane, on Flickr

Lots more in this set.
Last edited by Solo on Sat May 25, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed your last pic for you
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Brickset reviews
vynsane

Postby murphquake » Thu May 23, 2013 11:54 am

I'm here too, finallymet vynsane and saw another lug member too... Awesome event
murphquake

Postby etcknight » Thu May 23, 2013 12:20 pm

I need one of those parked on my driveway. That is freak'n insanely awesome! I just died and went to Lego heaven. :shock:
etcknight

Postby DeltaNightroam » Thu May 23, 2013 12:53 pm

DANG IT!!!! I forgot about the contest and didn't enter!!!!!!!
DeltaNightroam

Postby captain sambuca » Thu May 23, 2013 1:29 pm

how do you suppose they managed to get those wings to stay straight? is there a metal skeleton inside?
captain sambuca

Postby captain sambuca » Thu May 23, 2013 1:31 pm

(by which I mean, is there some sort of structure made of metal inside that wing to keep it from bending, rather than they've perhaps hidden a dead robot inside it)
captain sambuca

Postby Mister Ed » Thu May 23, 2013 1:47 pm

I'm assuming that the cockpit cover isn't LEGO at all.
Mister Ed

Postby sparkart » Thu May 23, 2013 8:57 pm

eagle eye wrote:I think it can be brick linked

Heh, I can't help but think of paraphrasing Han Solo, "...the entire inventory of bricklink couldn't couldn't build the whole model. It'd take a thousand stores with more bricks than I've..."
sparkart

Guest Post: X-wing Times Square Event

Postby Staff » Thu May 23, 2013 11:47 pm

XwingEvent4

When I posted earlier this week asking for a volunteer field reporter for the Times Square event that happened earlier today, Maxwell Lux stepped up to the plate and answered the call. He snapped up a few photos and did a write up. A bit unusual for what I was looking for but worth reading:

It was a hot and humid morning in the city of New York, the kind of sticky suffocation that hangs low in the air, hastening the escape of the 9-to-5ers into their cubicles of air-conditioned paradise. Taking my leave of the PATH train, I shuffled uptown, a pang of hunger in my stomach and a mission in my mind: there was LEGO to be revealed. Broadway opened into that storied valley of neon: Times Square, a commercial utopia of chain stores and tourist traps, ringed by hundred-foot high video screens. A familiar red, white and yellow logo beckoned from the horizon: I had reached my destination. Nestled in the heart of Duffy square stood a monolith of fantastic proportions, hitherto unseen by the eyes of man: a staggeringly huge LEGO box. Secrets to reveal there were.

XwingEvent0

I had heard the stories, spread by enigmatic press kit to a lucky few, of the world’s largest LEGO creation: a Star Wars set weighing tons, comprised of millions, if not billions of colorful plastic bricks. The electric billboards of the American Eagle store, usually flashing titillating clips of cavorting clothing models, were now lit green with exciting brick-built battles from a long, long time ago in a galaxy far far away. The new Yoda-line look was on full display, brand-new commercials silently showcasing the yet-to-be released summer sets, along with tantalizing teasers of Cartoon Network’s The Yoda Chronicles. That was, after all, why I had been summoned here, was it not? I was to bear witness to the birth of a new chapter in the Star Wars saga in a massive blitz of marketing magic unlike any I had seen before.

The box itself, in reality a series of themed tarps supported by metal framework, bore an enigmatic set title: Secret Model Indestructible Box, and a impossible age recommendation: 6-850. Weighing 45,980 pounds and clocking in at 5,335,200 pieces, the packaging possessed the dimensions of a typical LEGO retail outlet (although in typical LEGO fashion, the box seemed to be a little larger than necessary, presumably to provide a sense of inflated value.) Splashed dead-center, in place of the usual set photograph were only the words: ‘Secrets To Reveal There Are’.

Trusty Press pass in hand, I made my way to the front of a specially-roped off area, ducking a wildly-swinging camera boom to situate myself with a perfect three-quarter view of the soon-to-be-revealed set. At 10:45AM, mere minutes after taking my place, a sprightly model attired in the familiar orange jumpsuit of a Rebel pilot bounded onto the stage situated directly in front of the mystery LEGO creation. Bubbly almost to a fault, she began hyping up the growing crowd, promising a live video-call (?) from Coruscant at exactly 11:00, a call that would herald the unveiling of this now-almost-messianic model.

XwingEvent1

After chatting with a few Yoda-eared lightsaber-wielding padawans hailing from across the five boroughs, the Rebel emcee was suddenly interrupted by the promised call- from MINIFIGURE YODA HIMSELF. Clad in a ‘New York I Love’ t-shirt, Yoda bounded onscreen to help sway a wavering planet into giving The Yoda Chronicles a shot when it premiers (May 29th, 2013 at 8/7 central on Cartoon Network). Using the Force (accompanied by a handy Force-O-Meter), Yoda valiantly tried to unveil the model himself. However, it was only with the assistance of the parents in attendance (yes, the model specifically called on the PARENTS to help) that the curtains finally parted.

XwingEvent2

Accompanied by hisses of smoke and much fanfare, a colossal Lego X-Wing starfighter, made its triumphant debut to an adoring and starstruck public. Modeled after the soon-to-be-retired 9493 and not the newly-released 10240, this sleek starship replicated its smaller cousin exactly, down to the brick-built rubber bands holding the blocky S-foils in flight position. Life-size, and humbling in it’s blocky majesty, the model slowly made it’s way down the platform, massive laser cannons wobbling slightly as it went. Four months of work from a 35-person build team in the Czech Republic had come down to this: a exacting recreation of a now-classic set, proudly displayed in the heart of the Greatest City In The World ®. The excitement didn’t end there, however, as audience members were treated to a two-minute trailer for The Yoda Chronicles! The humor, as with most LEGO media was quite timeless, and this jaded reporter actually found himself chuckling once or twice.

XwingEvent3

Amid the promises of photo opportunities inside the cockpit of this brick behemoth, and a take-home X-Wing minibuild (for younglings only) I slipped away into the throngs of people, late for work once again. Yet, reflecting throughout the day on that grand reveal, I found myself pondering: why 9493? Why not the newer, more detailed and more expensive 10240? Making my post-work way through the now rain-soaked streets of night-time New York, I found my answers in the hallowed halls of the Time Square Toys R Us, proud sponsor of that day’s event. Arranged in pillars a dozen deep were specially marked copies of 9493- marked up to $74.99 from a US retail of $59.99. ‘Free New York I Love Yoda With Purchase! Only 1000 Of This SPECIAL EDITION Minifigure available’ a sleeve slipped over the standard sets proudly proclaimed. ‘Of course.’ I muttered to myself, and slipped back into the night. Returning to Duffy Square for one last look at the X-Wing, now bathed in a shimmering rainbow of reflected lights, I was surprised to notice something had been added next to the cockpit, now vacant of giggling children. A brick-built 2-D silhouette of the Jek Porkins minifigure, life-sized and pleasantly portly, smiled at me. I smiled back and walked off into the night.

I had no idea about the exclusive minifig. I lifted the below images from a ridiculous ebay auction asking for $999 buy it now for the minifig. Like Maxwell reported, the price of the set was $74.99, marked WAY up from MSRP of $59.99. $25 bucks isn't too bad considering how rare the figure is. If anyone's got a spare and willing to help out a West Coaster, drop me a line. Please be reasonable.

yoda poster

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/05/23/guest-post-x-wing-times-square-event/
Staff

Postby vynsane » Fri May 24, 2013 3:52 am

Frankly, I'm willing to bet that $74.99 is the 'regular' price for that set at that particular TRU. It's a TRU, after all, but it's also the TRU in Times Sq.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Brickset reviews
vynsane

Postby Chief » Fri May 24, 2013 7:18 am

the price of the set was $74.99, marked WAY up from MSRP of $59.99. $25 bucks isn't too bad considering how rare the figure is.

That's... a $15 difference.
Chief

Postby freight69 » Fri May 24, 2013 9:36 am

captain sambuca wrote:how do you suppose they managed to get those wings to stay straight? is there a metal skeleton inside?

From the Time article previously linked:

Oh yes there is.
freight69

Next

Return to Star Wars