Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

New Star Wars Cartoon: Rebels

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

New Star Wars Cartoon: Rebels

Postby Staff » Mon May 20, 2013 8:00 pm

Yep, a new cartoon is in the works. It's called Rebels and it's set in the period between the events of Episode III and IV. I approach this news with cautious optimism. I never got into the Clone Wars cartoon series, I'm only familiar with the LEGO product tie-in and man did I hate those sets. The minifigs were ugly, which to this day I still cannot reconcile in my head the logic behind the decision on why they look so radically different from every other Star Wars minifigures. It's all Star Wars isn't it? Anyways, the same Art Director behind the Clone Wars is also going to be involved with this new venture, so there's a slight chance that, stylistically speaking, Rebels will look and feel the same as the Clone Wars which can be good or bad depending on how you felt about it. All I know is that this will give us LEGO fans new sets to look forward to. I just hope the minifigs look normal and not some freaky eyed abominations.

If you're attending Star Wars Celebration Europe, you'll have the chance to be one of the first people to see its debut. Otherwise, look for it on Disney Channel sometime in 2014 with a series to air on Disney XD.

Thanks to Jared for the heads up.

via Club Jade via StarWars.com
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/05/20/new-star-wars-cartoon-rebels/
Staff

Re: New Star Wars Cartoon: Rebels

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Mon May 20, 2013 8:12 pm

Ace, do yourself a HUGE favor and check out the show. Seriously. The last couple of seasons in particular have featured some absolutely incredible writing and storylines.
The_Chosen_1

Postby buriedbybricks » Tue May 21, 2013 4:09 am

The above statement nearly gave me an aneurysm. I think I'm ok now though, everybody carry on in this bizarro world and I'm gonna head back to reality and wait for Rebels...
buriedbybricks

Postby cas » Tue May 21, 2013 4:38 am

Hopefully, they'll get their act together with Rebels when it comes to storytelling and characters. But, after Clone Wars and the fact that it appears many of the same people are involved and it will be on Disney X-D, I have a distinct lack of faith. The only thing giving me hope is the possibility of seeing some of the classic Ralph McQuarrie designs in action, which, of course, means sets!
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Haderach1976 » Tue May 21, 2013 6:21 am

I'm with The_Chosen_1. I'm 37 years old, grew up with the OT, all the toys and have seen the OT more times than I can count. Also, I only collect OT LEGO for the most part (I do own the UCS Jedi Star Fighter). I still sort of shake my head and groan to myself that the PT should have been better every time I see them (or snibbits of them). That said, I've watched every season SW: The Clone Wars and absolutely love it. As stated the final two seasons are phenomenal. As with every season of the clone wars, there are some slower / filler type episodes but if you have the time and are willing to give Season 4 & 5 a shot, there is a good chance you might really like it.

I have high hopes for the new animated series, I've watched this team really grow and evolve The Clone Wars from its infancy to where it ended and I suspect the new show will be really amazing (at least for fans of The Clone Wars animated series).

Below are some of my favorite scenes from Season 4 and 5. They really stepped it animation wise, the first link below was amazing to see. Make sure to crank YouTube up to the max resolution before watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEu_U78XFg4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZCwB9yaDNc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJiphrbLyg
Last edited by Haderach1976 on Tue May 21, 2013 6:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Haderach1976

Postby BrickSavage » Tue May 21, 2013 6:25 am

The greatest part of this article is the pointing out of those bug-eyed creepy looking minifigs from the clone wars sets.
BrickSavage

Postby sparkart » Tue May 21, 2013 8:26 am

I'm happy that the title of this show is "Rebels", which suggests that there won't be too many Jedi references, after all, this is supposed to be the decline of the Republic, the recession of the Jedi into myth and legend.

I am really looking forward to seeing their interpretation of McQuarrie's concept art. Although, I can't help but think some of the reasons that the concept art stayed a concept is because it wasn't appropriate and didn't fit well into the Star Wars universe and technological look, or it was evolved into something more refined and cooler looking. If you look at the earliest model mock-ups of the Death Star, Star Destroyer, TIE fighter, and Blockade Runner, they're a bit too fanciful or simplistic, compared to what they ended up being.

Toward the end, Clone Wars was getting pretty good. As long as they reserve the use of Jedi and Sith to truly mysterious characters that stay mysterious, I'll be happy.
sparkart

Postby naugem » Tue May 21, 2013 8:40 am

The Clone Wars had its ups and downs, but it was a good Star Wars fix, much better than the PT. Anakin is almost likeable in some chapters.
It'll be interesting to see what direction they take with this new show, regarding who the protagonists will be and what level of violence it will have.
It should at least bring some fresh sets to Lego.
And (I know I'm in the minority here), I hope they keep using the same face styles of the Clone Wars for the minifigs :)
naugem

Postby Joedward » Tue May 21, 2013 10:03 am

I really, really hope this is of a different style to the Clone Wars series. I tried that for a series or two and can not stand it. It gave us some awful sets and worse minifigures (that have stuck around and actually affected, or at least caused[?], redesigns of other, non Clone Wars sets).
Also, IMHO those clips ^ up there are crap. What little dialog there was seemed just as wooden as that in the prequels and I've never been a fan of how they all look. The art and design has just never appealed to me.

I'm still curious to find out more about the show. I can't really say I'm not optimistic at this point as I have very little else to go on, but I've read elsewhere that a few people who did Gargoyles are a part of the team doing this, and Gargoyles was awesome.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Faefrost » Tue May 21, 2013 2:14 pm

The Clone Wars at its best has some of the best Star Wars since Empire Strikes back. At it worst it has a few Jar Jar centric episodes. In general the ratio of good to bad episodes and story arcs is pretty heavily weighted to good throughout, and from season 3 onwards swings up past superb most of the time. No SW fan should ignore the show. (Although do feel free to ignore the pilot movie, which is nothing like what the show evolved into.)
Faefrost

Postby emmtwosix » Tue May 21, 2013 6:10 pm

Hmm, I'm probably in the extreme minority then, because I liked the story lines and characters from, oh, about the first 3 seasons, and most of season 4, but became fairly disappointed with how the plot played out for the Mandalores, the re-emergence of Darth Maul, and just the way they handled a few characters in general, specifically Adi Gallia and Barriss Offee.

I realize that the CGI got better in the later seasons, but for me, that's never been the heart of Star Wars. To me, storytelling and character development have been the nucleus of the franchise and all the tech has just been the frosting on the cake - the best frosting in the universe, but frosting nonetheless.

As far as the sets go, if you completely abhor the minifigs, you're definitely entitled to your opinion, but, the Clone Wars range has a few of the best system sets created, IMO. Examples:

7674 - V-19 Torrent
8037 - Anakin's Y-wing Starfighter
8018 - Armored Assault Tank
7675 - AT-TE Walker
10195 - Republic Dropship w/AT-OT Walker

and probably one of the best sets Lego has ever made,

7676 - Republic Attack Gunship

*And yes, I'm fairly excited for the Rebels series. I'm really interested to see what kind of style they use.
emmtwosix

Postby crazybirdman » Wed May 22, 2013 11:14 am

eh, how many of those are just rehashed versions of old sets?
crazybirdman

Postby GrayMattR » Wed May 22, 2013 3:56 pm

Optimistic is a good thing but if it's the same two heading it up, I don't know. The most important thing is the characters. The upside of that is they can use a whole new set of characters that we haven't seen before. If they go that route, the new series could be really good. It's not like they're going to follow Obi Wan hanging out with the Jawas.

Besides the weird animation in the Clone Wars, I really hated the way they rehashed things. For example, that first clip Haderach1976 linked just showed Pre Vizsla using the same moves Jango did against Mace Windu: the double blasters, jetpacks for high ground, flame thrower... It's been done! Bringing back Darth Maul was nothing but lazy marketing, as was adding Savage Opress. There's a kajillion life forms to use as bad guys and they have to bring Maul back from the dead? The original trilogy used new characters in every movie outside of the 10 main characters and didn't need to resort to recycling people or story lines.
GrayMattR

Postby emmtwosix » Wed May 22, 2013 7:00 pm

I don't think of a set as a rehash if it's far superior to a previous model. That would be like saying the new TIE Fighter or X-wing is just a rehash of an old set. If you want to make a case for a true rehash of a set, see the multiple Jedi Starfighters that are largely identical in build and finish, or even the most recent Naboo Starfighter which was a minor improvement over the previous version at best.
emmtwosix

Postby Spencer Solo » Thu May 23, 2013 5:14 am

crazybirdman wrote:eh, how many of those are just rehashed versions of old sets?

Um... Like, two? The at-te and laat were great improvements. The at-ot and dropship, v-19, and y-wing were all new. So I don't see your point, crazybirdman. :S
" Try? Ha! Do or do not. There is no try."- Yoda
Favorite my Photos!:[flickr=]http://www.flickr.com/photos/96452956@N02/[/flickr]
Spencer Solo

Postby R3ap3R » Thu May 23, 2013 8:33 am

I hope that this cartoon series will be 2D animated instead of 3D like the Clone Wars series. If not, they should at least change the animation style of the characters for a more mature style. Really excited for it nonetheless.
R3ap3R

Postby crazybirdman » Thu May 23, 2013 8:43 am

my point was we would still have those sets (the rejiggered ones anyway) even without the cartoon. LEGO would have gotten around to doing new version eventually.
crazybirdman

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Thu May 23, 2013 8:58 am

GrayMattR wrote:The most important thing is the characters. The upside of that is they can use a whole new set of characters that we haven't seen before. If they go that route, the new series could be really good. It's not like they're going to follow Obi Wan hanging out with the Jawas.

I have a feeling we might be seeing a lot of Captain Antilles and Bail Organa in their good old corvette. Maybe a little Alderaan (Leia in pre-school?) or that abandoned base on Dantooine. There's still plenty of opportunity to rehash things (aka "we thought this was real cool in the OT so let's reference it ad nauseam in our show").
Spoiler: show
According to Wookieepedia Boba Fett may have been the reason why the Rebels left Dantooine. Can't have a show without a Fett!
Gingerbeard Man

Postby BrickDeth1123 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:35 pm

I'm quite excited, but I have my reservations. I wonder though, if this is what became of the proposed live-action television show. There was barely any talk of that project as was.
BrickDeth1123

Postby naugem » Fri May 24, 2013 9:48 am

I hope the new show doesn't focus too much on the political side. I've had more than enough of that from the PT and Clone Wars.
naugem

Next

Return to Star Wars