Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Other Reviews of 10240 Red Five X-wing Starfighter From Around The Web

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Other Reviews of 10240 Red Five X-wing Starfighter From Around The Web

Postby Staff » Fri May 03, 2013 2:26 pm

Tomorrow, May the 4th, is the unofficial Star Wars holiday and also the day that 10240 Red Five X-wing Starfighter goes on sale. We've been highlighting this set since May 1 offering our in-depth reviews and analyses. Without out a doubt, this is a fine set and there are few other early reviews out there in the wild if you still haven't made up your mind.

Bricknews.co.uk and Jedinews.co.uk have co-published a two part review:

The only negative for us is the stickers, we could’ve accepted the stickers on the wings and praise goes to LEGO for making each of these four stickers slightly different but the new cockpit piece really should have been printed. Don’t let that one issue spoil what is otherwise an excellent set that will look great as the center piece of your LEGO Star Wars collection – this really is a must buy and we’d also recommend it to those that have the original release too.

Brickset also published their review a favorable review few days ago:

It's an essential purchase for all Star Wars fans. That's not true of every UCS set, some of which are far too big and cumbersome and of obscure subjects, but the X-wing is perhaps the most iconic craft in the whole six-movie series, and this model is just the right size: big enough to be impressive but not so big that you'll have nowhere to put it and it becomes a dust-gathering liability. Thanks to vast improvements in its construction you can swoosh it around without fear of bits of wing or engine falling off, too.

Eurobricks weighs in with their overly exhaustive review:

Of course there has to be a downside, but I'm delighted to say that 10240's flaw's aren't numerous. A slight gap in the body around the wing mechanism might bother some; I can live with it. The stand - although far less wobbly than its predecessor - seems to have a tendency to twist, at least in my case. R2-D2 continues to insist on being too small. And I really am not keen on the new nose.

But these, even taken all together, are minor flaws. 10240 is an excellent rendition of the classic X-Wing; a delight to build, to display, and to own.

There are couple of common threads woven into each of the reviews including ours. The stickers on the canopy need to die in a fire. I do agree that on such a premium product, a printed canopy would make a huge difference in the build experience. Stickers are already difficult to put on straight, but dealing with large transparent stickers on a large transparent element is just introducing a level of frustration that detracts from an otherwise enjoyable building experience. A few other minor quibbles aside, the set comes highly recommended from all reviews.

Shameless plug time: We hope you enjoyed our coverage of 10240 and if you are planning on buying the set online, we would appreciate the click through. Hit this link to purchase the set when it goes on sale and you'll be supporting our site. We thank you in advance.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/05/03/other-reviews-of-10240-red-five-x-wing-starfighter-from-around-the-web/
Staff

Re: Other Reviews of 10240 Red Five X-wing Starfighter From

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Fri May 03, 2013 3:15 pm

Plugging your own reviews and providing a link to make profit for your own site while calling the EB review overly exhaustive. Classy. :lol:
Thanks for the coverage of this set, even if one review probably would have sufficed.
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby Solo » Fri May 03, 2013 5:04 pm

Dude. That ridiculous thorough review on EB is right up my alley. I'm going to have to give it a full read when I get home.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby onions » Fri May 03, 2013 11:01 pm

it IS overly exhaustive. i think there's a fine line where taking photos of certain phases of the build process that is interesting in some way becomes just taking progress photos of building it step by step. and i feel like the eurobricks review tends to lean towards the latter. like, this picture, or this one, etc. I could go on. seriously? what kind of value do these pictures add really? and pictures of the contents of each bag? bleh. i honestly think there's a bit showboating going on here. a bit indulgent if you ask me, but hey, if that's your thing, then that's your thing. i'm sure some people find my reviews terrible in some ways so meh. to each their own.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Sat May 04, 2013 8:45 am

Oky Wan Kenobi wrote:Plugging your own reviews and providing a link to make profit for your own site while calling the EB review overly exhaustive. Classy. :lol:
Thanks for the coverage of this set, even if one review probably would have sufficed.

Look at me, my name's Oky Wan Kenobi, and I hate capitalism. How dare somebody who pays monthly to run a site try to gain revenue by offering members a free look at a review.

If people like you were in charge Lego as a company would have never formed.

Anyway, this is a pretty sick set. Is the size similar to the original?
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby Solo » Sat May 04, 2013 2:10 pm

ThinkingImpaired wrote:Anyway, this is a pretty sick set. Is the size similar to the original?

Very close.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Sun May 05, 2013 12:10 am

ThinkingImpaired wrote:Look at me, my name's Oky Wan Kenobi, and I hate capitalism. How dare somebody who pays monthly to run a site try to gain revenue by offering members a free look at a review.

You obviously didn't get the point of my post. It's not about the money, it's about biased journalism. Promoting your own reviews while badmouthing others' in an article that's supposed to be about promoting those other reviews just because the author doesn't like that type of review is not very nice. So what if it goes into detail about the contents and building steps? There are people like Solo for whom this is a good thing, so remarks like that should be left out. Just saying.

No offense, Ace, I appreciate your efforts and respect your opinion. I just think you should watch out how you word things. :)
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby onions » Mon May 06, 2013 10:07 am

Oky Wan Kenobi wrote:
ThinkingImpaired wrote:Look at me, my name's Oky Wan Kenobi, and I hate capitalism. How dare somebody who pays monthly to run a site try to gain revenue by offering members a free look at a review.

You obviously didn't get the point of my post. It's not about the money, it's about biased journalism. Promoting your own reviews while badmouthing others' in an article that's supposed to be about promoting those other reviews just because the author doesn't like that type of review is not very nice. So what if it goes into detail about the contents and building steps? There are people like Solo for whom this is a good thing, so remarks like that should be left out. Just saying.

No offense, Ace, I appreciate your efforts and respect your opinion. I just think you should watch out how you word things. :)

i understand what you're trying to say, but i don't think saying it was "overly exhaustive" is necessarily a negative remark. it could mean a good thing to some people, like don. he seemed to look forward to it.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby scandell » Mon May 06, 2013 4:56 pm

The word "overly"...however it is used...denotes a negative trait.
scandell

Postby CloneEmperor » Wed May 08, 2013 5:55 pm

There's no such thing as too much clones
>.>
<.<
CloneEmperor

Return to Star Wars