Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO 10240 - Cockpit Stickers (use of water?)

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

LEGO 10240 - Cockpit Stickers (use of water?)

Postby Haderach1976 » Thu May 02, 2013 11:22 am

Hello,

I came across this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0RGKcn_k5A

The builder appears to be using water to apply the cockpit stickers. Is anyone familiar with this approach and if so, do you have any links to a more detailed explanation or instructions on the technique?

Thanks in advance.
Haderach1976

Re: LEGO 10240 - Cockpit Stickers (use of water?)

Postby DarthBuilder » Thu May 02, 2013 1:07 pm

While I have not done this personally I can only assume that this is following the same methods as if you were installing a plastic screen protector on a tablet or cell phone. It comes with a clean liquid\solution for application, it cuts down on leaving finger prints and dirt on the glue side. Interesting idea. Would allow you to place the sticker and allow for it to slide around to get it placed right until you squeegee the access water and any bubbles away, then let dry.

UPDATE: Have now done this and with success.
Last edited by DarthBuilder on Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarthBuilder

Postby Solo » Thu May 02, 2013 2:47 pm

That's pretty interesting. Someone in the comments for the Brickset review with experience in window decal applications said it's best to use some sort of cleaning fluid and a credit card to prevent bubbles and dust from ruining the windscreen. I'd love for someone with experience in this to do a through step by step guide for inept people like myself.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Andi » Fri May 03, 2013 2:01 am

I might try that
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Haderach1976 » Fri May 03, 2013 6:05 am

I've searched the web for some examples but haven't found anything directly related to LEGO stickers. That said, reading some related posts I believe the water is a solution. I've read about using water and soap all the way to water plus different types of solvents or cleansers. I plan to continue to try and figure out details on this technique.
Haderach1976

Postby harrison » Mon May 06, 2013 4:47 am

Water plus a drop of dishwashing soap sprayed onto the part, the same technique car window tinters use.
harrison

Postby DarthBuilder » Thu May 09, 2013 11:57 am

Here is a guide to performing the above talked about methods. For a UCS set this cockpit should have been printed, worst sticker EVER.
DarthBuilder

Postby Haderach1976 » Fri May 10, 2013 8:58 am

Thanks DarthBuilder! Is anyone else having trouble viewing the images on HothBricks? I've tried Chrome and IE without any luck, for me it behaves as if the images aren't linked correctly - just wondered if it was something on my end or the site itself. Thanks.
Haderach1976

Postby Solo » Fri May 10, 2013 11:01 am

Try the actual page and not through Google Translate: http://www.hothbricks.com/2013/05/stick ... o-de-phil/

I'd say it's a moderate improvement, trading the potential for dust and bubbles for possibly uneven edges. Might be worth a shot if you received two sheets.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby DarthBuilder » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:13 pm

So I hesitated with attempting to apply this sticker regardless of method and the cockpit has been naked since it was built. Today curiosity got the better of me. Success! So using 2 cups of water and three/four drops of dish detergent (Dawn) stirring it up. I let it sit while using an X acto knife I cut out the clear center sections form the stickers while on the sheet. Dipped the cockpit into the water then set it on a towel, then began dipping the stickers and applying. Once they were positioned how I wanted I lightly dabbed them with a paper towel. Let dry about 30 minutes and couldn't be happier. Cockpit is clear and the trim looks great. Sorry no pics, maybe I'll get to it later. Good luck to everyone.
DarthBuilder

Return to Star Wars