Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

May the Fourth Exclusive is new Han Solo (Hoth) minifig?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: May the Fourth Exclusive is new Han Solo (Hoth) minifig?

Postby jomandybri » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:12 am

The Phantom Menace wrote:
The_Chosen_1 wrote:
The Phantom Menace wrote:Lego know that most of the Star Wars Lego sets are bought by adult fans (otherwise you wouldn't have the UCS)

Uh....most Star Wars sets are bought by adult fans? You might want to rethink your logic on that one. Lego Star Wars is the #2 bestselling theme because it's extremely popular among kids, first and foremost.

I think you meant to say "secondly", Lego wouldn't even consider creating $300+ sets if it didn't know adult fans would buy the stuff. Lego Star Wars is such a high selling theme because it's popular amongst adults, first and foremost. They wouldn't be slapping 16+ age ranges on those products if it wasn't.

Well, firstly, no, I believe our friend here is correct in saying number 2. Additionally, to try and keep this moderately on topic, adults really do not make up that much of a share of the user group who buys LSW. Yeah, it's significant in some ways, but at the end of the day, kids who want something bad enough will pester their parents or save up, or whatever. As you can see in the link below, AFOLs actually consist of about a 5% taking in the market. I understand there is probably some variation in that number, but I'd say that's a fair-ish idea.

http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?id=567

/endderail

Anyway, to be honest, I'm a little let down by this. I mean, yeah, it's a figure, and yeah, it's kinda cool. But it really does lack that wow factor. I think it's been pretty well said already. Also, does it seem like Lego is starting to pointlessly pump out 'exclusive' figures? I mean I love it when they're good, but it seems recently the standard has been slipping. Darth Vader with Medal? Really?
May the mass times acceleration be with you!
jomandybri

Postby The Phantom Menace » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:24 am

So sales by AFOL is 5% of Lego sets. So that could equate to 20 children buying a one $3 minifigure each, and an adult buying a $400 Death Star. I reckon if you look at who actually spends more the numbers would dramatically shift towards adults.

Sets like modular buildings and UCS wouldn't exist if Lego knew that adults weren't a substantial part of their market. What company would spend so much in resources at a meagre 5%? Most Lego fan websites wouldn't exist too, Bricklink wouldn't exist either. Adults are not insignificant to Lego, I'd even wager that adults saved Lego in the earlier 2000's.

Therefore I have no doubt that Lego with these exclusive Star Wars figures have collectors/adults in mind first and children second. Why did they release a Boba Fett figure based on the McQuarrie sketches? Are children aware of those?
The Phantom Menace

Postby jomandybri » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:17 pm

The Phantom Menace wrote:So sales by AFOL is 5% of Lego sets. So that could equate to 20 children buying a one $3 minifigure each, and an adult buying a $400 D

Sales directly to AFOLs, for their own use, yes, is 5%. However we don't know what percentage of that 95% is adults buying it for their kids, and what is kids buying for themselves, etc. You assume a lot when you say that it is just the 20 kids (the 95%). For all we know it's 1 AFOL to 12 parents to 7 kids. And parents will be more likely to buy bigger sets for their kids, too.

And more importantly, that number is actually 5% of sales, not sets. Which means at the end of the day, the money Lego gets from sales from kids outnumbers AFOLs twenty bucks to one.

Which means rather simply, there are far more kids than AFOLs, with far more money to be made from them. I do acknowledge (and am super grateful for!) communities like this one and Bricklink, which are based upon adults sharing their experiences, resources, etc. That 5% is still a decent number, yes. And of course they need to keep it interesting for us. Perhaps that's what they have tried to do this time around with the Brown Han. And perhaps with the White Fett also. I'm not disagreeing that exclusives are generally for the older demographic.

The Phantom Menace wrote:Lego Star Wars is such a high selling theme because it's popular amongst adults, first and foremost.

This is what I believe you are wrong in saying. They acknowledge their market, but we are certainly not their top priority. They want quick, easy, raw dollars. A lot of value in many AFOL collections comes with secondary markets and items produced in super low quantities. For the record, I'm not here to hate! In posting what I originally said, I was simply agreeing with The_Chosen_1. :)

The_Chosen_1 wrote:Uh....most Star Wars sets are bought by adult fans? You might want to rethink your logic on that one. Lego Star Wars is the #2 bestselling theme because it's extremely popular among kids, first and foremost.
jomandybri

Postby jomandybri » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:54 am

Seeing these for sale already... not sure whether to believe it or not, being so early before the promotion! :shock:
jomandybri

Postby kone » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:00 am

just found somebody who already has it lol!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RbcqNjFTKA
kone

Postby rnsrobot » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:56 am

Does LEGO usually have free shipping or double VIP during the may 4th promotion? I can't remember what they did last year.

I've been waiting for months to get the Haunted House, hoping to cash in on a march/april double VIP/free shipping combo. It didn't happen... I may just suck up the shipping and get it now. I don't feel like waiting til fall for an overlap.

They are opening a b&m LEGO shop near me soon. Double VIP is a bit better deal than free shipping, but if we can except double VIP in the next few months maybe I should wait to get it locally.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
rnsrobot

Closer Look At Hoth Han Solo

Postby Staff » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:47 am

Hoth Han Solo - May the Fourth Promo

Forum member jallenuk tweeted us some out-of-package pics of the upcoming May the Fourth promotional figure, Hoth Han Solo. The pics confirm that the final color of the hood will be brown, and not tan as shown on the packaging. You will need to purchase at least $75 in LEGO Star Wars product from LEGO Shop@Home and LEGO Brand Retail stores to receive the figure. The promotional period is from May 4 to May 5, so in a little over 3 weeks.

Hoth Han Solo - May the Fourth Promo Hoth Han Solo - May the Fourth Promo
Hoth Han Solo - May the Fourth Promo Hoth Han Solo - May the Fourth Promo

The figure looks great but I still my point of it not having a high enough cool factor is still valid.

Thanks jallenuk!
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/04/11/closer-look-at-hoth-han-solo/
Staff

Re: May the Fourth 2013 Promo Minifigure: Hoth Han Solo

Postby etcknight » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:14 am

Despite my complaining, I'll be in line at my local LEGO store that day just like everyone else ready to fork over my money for a $75 minifigure and bonus set. Additional details regarding the annual May the Fourth promo will be forthcoming.

I reiterate my "Meh" comment after seeing the out-of-bag pics.
etcknight

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:35 am

I dunno, I kinda like it. More than I thought I would at least. Sure, it's inaccurate and there are dozens of figures that would have made better promotional figs, but at least it looks nice and is good for parts. That "I thought they smelled bad from the outside" face alone is worth getting it for me. I've been holding off on buying the Umbarran MHC and Planets Series 3 for May 4, so I'll be getting this fig either way.
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:39 am

I stand by my opinion that there could have been much better choices for a May the 4th minifig, but I'll be getting this anyway to avoid paying inflated secondary market prices later on...
The_Chosen_1

Postby DarthBuilder » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:22 pm

There would be more excitement for this fig if it was an Exclusive to a Hoth 3 in 1 Super Pack or something of the like, not as a May the Fourth Exclusive. A Chrome Mouse Droid would be more exciting. Like others come May 4 it will be in the bag anyhow. :)
DarthBuilder

Postby mrfootball » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:56 pm

I like it.

Have they announced the other special/sale offers for the May 4 promo?
mrfootball

Postby sparkart » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:56 am

I can't help but think the proper way to display this figure is with a lightsaber.
sparkart

Postby Boyfromvalley » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:32 pm

I've yet to purchase the Rancor Pit which is over the required amount to obtain this figure. So I might as well pick this up when it's released.
Boyfromvalley

Postby SDIronClaw » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:43 am

Last I checked the Rancor Pit is less than $75.00....unless I am missing something.

I am still debating on picking this up or not...since there isn't really a set I want. Last year I could substantiate buying a set to get the TC-14 mini-figure.

Boyfromvalley wrote:I've yet to purchase the Rancor Pit which is over the required amount to obtain this figure. So I might as well pick this up when it's released.
"I find your lack of Lego disturbing."
SDIronClaw

Postby Boyfromvalley » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:40 am

Should have mentioned that I live in the UK. The Rancor Pit is £59.99 and the required amount for the figure is £50.

SDIronClaw wrote:Last I checked the Rancor Pit is less than $75.00....unless I am missing something.

I am still debating on picking this up or not...since there isn't really a set I want. Last year I could substantiate buying a set to get the TC-14 mini-figure.

Boyfromvalley wrote:I've yet to purchase the Rancor Pit which is over the required amount to obtain this figure. So I might as well pick this up when it's released.
Boyfromvalley

Postby jomandybri » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:47 pm

Yeah, I picked two up from a Bricklink seller for 16 dollars each... got them yesterday. Strange the colour of the hood doesn't actually match what's on the polybag. :lol:
jomandybri

Postby SonOfSolo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:24 pm

I need to pick up the Jabba set and the Rancor set anyway so maybe this is the time to get them. Maybe they will have them both packed together online for a promotion. That would be sweet.
SonOfSolo

Postby The Phantom Menace » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:44 am

jomandybri wrote:And more importantly, that number is actually 5% of sales, not sets. Which means at the end of the day, the money Lego gets from sales from kids outnumbers AFOLs twenty bucks to one.

If I was Lego I wouldn't bother with AFOLs with that sort of figure then. It seems like a complete waste of time and money for such a small market. It would be better to spend the money invested on creating UCS/Modular buildings on creating more Friends sets.

Lego seem to put a lot of effort into creating these larger ages 16+ sets for what would then amount to 5%. Why bother?
The Phantom Menace

Previous

Return to Star Wars