Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Mini Shop Series Achieves Review Stage On CUUSOO

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Mini Shop Series Achieves Review Stage On CUUSOO

Postby Staff » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:02 am

The latest project to achieve its 10,000 supporters over at LEGO CUUSOO is the Mini Shop Series by Pekko. It moves into the June review window and while CUUSOO has said that these sets are meant to be one off releases, I think there is still hope for this one. The LEGO brand store is already represented with the store opening exclusive 3300003 even if it is more of a microscale set. I'd say the real question is whether or not LEGO still has connections with McDonald's. Mickey D's has released a few different LEGO toys in their Happy Meals over the years, including one that should be familiar to long-time fans of the site. Could this arrangement still go both ways? We'll just have to wait and see.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/04/11/mini-shop-series-achieves-review-stage-on-cuusoo/
Staff

Re: Mini Shop Series Achieves Review Stage On CUUSOO

Postby Gooker1 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:21 am

I'm a huge fan of this CUUSOO! I'd love to have these sets where you can connect them to the modulars. :) Height might be out of wack, but still cool to put on the other side of the street or something.
Gooker1

Postby aemil » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:07 am

It's a nice series this one.. I think everyone is secretly wishing for the Apple Store and the accessories in it :D
quod erat demonstrandum
my flickr
aemil

Postby xj550 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:10 pm

McDonald's minifigures would be a great promotion. No new moulds would be needed for Ronald McDonald.
xj550

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:13 pm

I believe that in one of the official comments, Lego mentioned that they would only create one mini shop if it passed review. :-/
The_Chosen_1

Postby cephalopoid » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:04 pm

I actually don't like these. I know it is weird for me to say this as a Lego fan, but I'm largely anti-corporate, and these stores seem to be the grossest of the retail corporations.

Apple: They make great products, but I hate their business model of obsoletism. That kind of business model is not only unsustainable for innovation, but it is also unsustainable for the environment in many ways.

7-11: Nothing says postmodernism like a convenience store that sells soda by the gallon, beer by the 40 oz, cigarettes by the carton, and nacho cheese by the chip. Not the worst of the retail corporations, but not great, either.

McDonald's: It goes without saying that McDonald's is one of the reasons why people are obese in this country. They are one of the reasons why we feed our beef corn, which has hazardous consequences. Not only that, but they have been one of the biggest contributors to environmental destruction in the last 40 years.
I can't believe Lego would line itself with a corporation that has been so harmful to the planet in so many ways.

Starbucks: I admit, out of all of these, I frequent Starbucks. But I do it only because 15 years ago Starbucks ran out most of the cool and hip independently owned coffee shops in my city. I don't have much a choice to hang out at a coffee shop. Oh, and Starbucks, until recently, did it's fair share of destroying the environment and the economies of South American coffee and tea growers.

I know you all like these, and to each their own. But my Lego town is filled with locally owned and operated mom and pop retail stores.
cephalopoid

Postby Solo » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:56 pm

It's funny because if these were generic shops as opposed to four big icons I doubt it would have pulled in the support needed to be considered, but hammering out the approval for those will be the biggest roadblock now that it's reached this point.

Suppose Lego decided to sidestep that issue and turned these into imaginary companies instead? No real corporate branding but still the same basic look to them. Would they interest you then? I think as standard run City sets something like that could sell well, but as a Cuusoo project it would languish in the S@H exclusives section, ridiculed for abandoning the driving idea behind its popularity.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby that guy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:03 pm

I have to agree with Cephalopoid (as well as to Solo in a lesser degree). I LOVE the concept of these as it pertains to adding them to a city without having to pop for a modular every time but I agree that one of the most basic loves I have about my giant modular city is that it could be any-business/residential USA. I've seen countless fast food joints and other well known buildings for sale on Ebay in the theme of the Modulars and while I appreciate the work that went into them I would never buy them for my city. It just wouldn't fit. I would however buy the same restaurant or building were it a generic name in different colors as Solo stated (I mean, OCTAN needs a corporate headquarters right?). With Lego pushing harder and harder for licensing deals (which in the grand scheme of things helped them through the 2000s but could be their demise in the 2010s) I strive to keep my MOCs ornate, detailed, and full of fun but I have honestly never ever ever thought of adding a Starbucks, McD, ACE, or anything else that exists in the real world to the street.
that guy

Postby cephalopoid » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:06 pm

Solo wrote:It's funny because if these were generic shops as opposed to four big icons I doubt it would have pulled in the support needed to be considered, but hammering out the approval for those will be the biggest roadblock now that it's reached this point.

Suppose Lego decided to sidestep that issue and turned these into imaginary companies instead? No real corporate branding but still the same basic look to them. Would they interest you then? I think as standard run City sets something like that could sell well, but as a Cuusoo project it would languish in the S@H exclusives section, ridiculed for abandoning the driving idea behind its popularity.

That's true, and I know that it was a fan of these that made them, but it would be nice for more socially conscious companies were considered.

I've seen CUUSOO passed up because they were from movies that were rated R. I think McD's has done much more social harm than a any rated R film. I think these hurt Lego's brand message, not help it.

I guess I'll stock up on fat and bug-eyed minifigs to go along with the McD's and Starbucks shops. And think of all the fun that can be had staging stick-ups at the 7-11.
cephalopoid

Postby sparkart » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:50 am

LEGO doesn't want direct associations with adult material, like that in a rated R movie, because LEGO wants adults to feel confident and comfortable that everything branded LEGO is appropriate for children.

I don't think it's so much a matter of social responsibility than it is LEGO's diabolical scheme to hook users at a young age. How many of us here had thought we left the LEGO habit behind, only to be seduced once again by it's glossy allure? How many of us keep unopened LEGO boxes, literally, in the closet! Scandalous. ;)

But seriously, McDonalds gives millions of dollars to charities every year, and their menu today offers plenty of healthy alternatives. And if you ever need a quick Wi-Fi hookup, McDonald's provides. The only one of these storefronts that markets to kids is McDonalds. Yay, McDonald's! :)
sparkart

Postby cephalopoid » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:06 am

It appears that McDonald's PR department is powerful.

Watch Super Size Me, Fast Food Nation, and Food Inc. These are life changing movies.
cephalopoid

Postby Mister Ed » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:00 am

I found Super Size Me to be not very compelling, as it is an OBVIOUS extreme case. I've never personally met ANYBODY that followed the "rules" he imposed to ensure the most drastic effects on his health. Basically, the movie told me nothing I didn't already know. Fast food isn't very healthy, and you shouldn't make a steady diet of it. Fortunately, I think most of us, already knowing this, don't. I've never, ever, met ANYBODY that consumed fast food for three meals a day on ANY day (with the possible exception of when stuck in airports while travelling, I suppose), much less EVERY day.

It's like trying to show the "evils of alcohol" by showing what happens when you are smashed every single waking hour. Everybody already KNOWS that's a bad idea.

Now that I'm done contributing to thread drift (sorry), I'll say that these look like fun, but, as others have said, I might prefer them to not be licensed versions. Not because of any aversion I have to the licenses particularly, but rather because they would look less out of place (and also likely be cheaper).
Mister Ed

Postby captain sambuca » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:41 pm

I'm with Cephalapoid.

As cool as they look, these aren't corporations i would like seeing endorsed.

It looks gimmicky to me- but i'm sure there will be plenty of lego fans desperate to buy it at the above-the-odds cuusoo price in order to "complete" their collection.

It makes me sad that: just Build some shops yourselves!

Anyway: Down with the corporations. Let Lego stand for creativity, rather than consumerism.

Build well.
captain sambuca

Return to Licensed Themes