Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Disney shuts down LucasArts

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Disney shuts down LucasArts

Postby Joedward » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:31 pm

http://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts-468473749

http://kotaku.com/a-thousand-voices-cry-out-for-lucasarts-in-eulogies-of-468555085

Still looking for more information, but I'm annoyed, and maybe a little upset.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/04/lucasarts-disney/

Just googling LucasArts gives pages of the story on various different blogs or news and games sites.

(Title might be a little sensationalist, but it seems about right at the moment)

Just to add, I am aware that this is really just the end of the name, and that it's not like it's the end of Star Wars games as we know it, I just think it's a huge shame the way this happened. LucasArts, as far as making games goes, hasn't really done much in a while and have been doing more of just publishing, but considering the two games they had planned it seemed like we might be seeing a peak of things to come. LucasArts might have aimed, and hit, heights it had before, and Disney shot the whole thing down, like a risk worth taking.
I know that it's perfectly reasonable to expect those two new games haven't died completely, and another developer or publisher will get it out the door, but I just don't think it'll be the same.
LucasArts was a massive part of a lot of our childhoods/adolescent years and it seems a massive shame for it not to be anymore.

Also, I'll miss all those animations of the Gold Guy doing cool stuff.
Last edited by Joedward on Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Re: Disney shuts down LucasArts

Postby jomandybri » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:56 pm

Yep, GameTrailers just posted this. Pretty stupid move on their half. I can't believe they didn't do 1313!! :'(
May the mass times acceleration be with you!
jomandybri

Postby Joedward » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:12 pm

Last link,
http://kotaku.com/lucasarts-is-dead-lets-remember-the-good-times-468526559

The SCUMM games are some of my all time favourites, and maybe my earliest gaming memory. The two Indy games are still wonderful to play. Fate of Atlantis was the best, but there's little out there that can beat trying to sell the Nazis in the castle these fine leather jackets. And I was the first in the family to successfully navigate the ladders and catwalks in the zeppelin and make it into the biplane. Best feeling ever.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:03 pm

Yeah, I was a bit more bummed by this before I realized that all my many, many fond memories of Lucasarts games are many YEARS old, and they haven't done a thing that I've cared about in a very long time.
Mister Ed

Postby dWhisper » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:56 pm

They'd been a shell for some time, farming out their name as a publishing firm for licensed games. Not a surprising move, ultimately, so long as the IP they managed goes somewhere decent.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby crazybirdman » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:07 am

yeah, what was the last great game Lucasarts made?
crazybirdman

Postby piaknowguy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:26 am

yeah, what was the last great game Lucasarts made?

My personal favorite is one I consider to be a 'classic'!

One vote - STAR WARS JEDI OUTCAST/JEDI KNIGHT II

It's an 'oldy' but a 'goody'! I seriously enjoyed using the stun baton on those pesky little mine crabs! :)

Thank-you, LucasArts!
piaknowguy

Postby Firespray » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:54 pm

I was bummed that they're gone but really it had been a long time coming. Lucasarts' last good games were Battlefront II and Republic Commando in 2005. They had the Force Unleashed 1 and 2 but neither of those hold a candle to their previous games.
Firespray

Return to Star Wars