Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[SW] Death Star Docking Bay 327 for UCS Falcon

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

Re: [SW] Death Star Docking Bay 327 for UCS Falcon

Postby Brainslugged » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:50 am

Incredible. I'd LOVE to build that. It just makes me feel worse about never getting my hands on a UCS Falcon. Fingers crossed for one to be released with an interior before 2020 seeing as they've remade the X-Wing.
Brainslugged

Postby Gooker1 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:18 am

I hate you. :) That is sooo unbelievably awesome. As a guestimate, how much did the docking bay run?

Suuuch a cool MOC. Nicely done!!!
Gooker1

Postby jmfbtb » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:01 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

I agree with Ken that the table legs do look a little thin. It is not really an issue for me since I have the front and sides covered with a black sheet to hide items stored under the set.

Gooker1, the cost worked out to about 10 cents a part. I could have done better by tracking down used base plates and identifying more parts that are hidden which can be used in any color.

Jeff
jmfbtb

Postby bartosza6m » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:55 am

:D Congratulations! I think the whole community is proud of you!
bartosza6m

Postby piaknowguy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:17 am

Looks great, Jeff! I am strongly considering this project for my Falcon! Having completed the project, is there anything you would have done differently?

BTW . . . You need a data sticker/spec sheet for your amazing design!

Cheers!
Allan
piaknowguy

Postby Gooker1 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:11 am

Thanks for answering my question!! It seriously is an amazing MOC. You could sorta recreate the scene where the Imperial shuttle is there too. Granted it's a different docking bay, or you'll need to make a bigger one. :)
Gooker1

Postby andy64 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:44 am

Your docking bay is amazing. Great job. If you're looking for an encasing, you might check out a company called TAP plastics. 2 years ago, my son and I made a lego project to help raise money for kids. TAP plastics made a case for me and it looked great. Somehow the plastic casing made the project appear shaper and brighter than usual. Great job on your creation. I hope George Lucas sees it. Andy
andy64

Postby jmfbtb » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:58 pm

Thanks again for the kind comments.

I uploaded the project to Rebrickable with the sloped version as default. I would still suggest using the BrickLink parts lists that are included with the Zip file. I really look forward to see what someone does next with the LDD files!

piaknowguy,

As far as doing something differently, I would continue working on hidden areas and identify bricks that could be used or in a different color. More optimization could be done on the lower back part of the wall for example to save money.

Looking at the original Star Wars still, the walls are full of gadgets and textures. The more you add, the higher the cost and complexity though. Overall I am very happy with it. The Falcon is the center of attention as it should be!

Gooker1,

I did pick up an Imperial Shuttle before it went EOL. I came out of my dark ages last year and Lego was very happy about it XD

Most likely I will just put it on the shelf, but it is very tempting to build a platform for it. There are some amazing sets out there, but I no longer have space for a large one.

Regards,

Jeff
jmfbtb

Postby Claw » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:26 pm

Thanks!

Now I just gotta figure out how to use LDD. :D
Claw

Postby rochoa21 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:35 pm

What was the total cost??
rochoa21

Postby Gooker1 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:41 am

Just for scale sake, what are the chances you can take a photo of it w/ regular release Falcon in the landing bay? :)
Gooker1

Postby jmfbtb » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:09 pm

Gooker1,

I downloaded the 7965 Falcon LDD by ADH015 at Eurobricks

I am surprised how much smaller it looks. Here is a LDD2POV Render:
Higher Resolution

Rochoa21,

I didn't keep track of the table cost. I picked up MDF and associated wood from a local hardware store. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the cost was around 10 cents a part not counting shipping (i.e. ~$780). I could have done better optimizing the back wall for used pieces. I didn't find base plates used for a good price, but I didn't want to wait either. I think you can do better then $0.10 / part.

Jeff
jmfbtb

Postby azoreg » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:21 pm

I would think using some studs-not-on-top techniques you could have engineered a way to use the regular white arched bricks on the top and the bottom. It appears you have way more than enough room for some such trickery.

Just my 2 cents, while not having taken a close look at the model.
azoreg

Postby jmfbtb » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:00 pm

Bolbuyk posted a comment on the Rebrickable page for the DS Docking Bay 327 that the white inverted bow slope is now available in Lego 31011 Creator Aviation Adventure set. So if you wait a bit, parts should become available on Brick Link. No more paint! XD
jmfbtb

Postby bobalego » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:02 am

Had seen your completed work before but just rediscovered it and had no idea you had been showing progress here. Absolutely stunning. It is my goal, when I am a multi millionaire to get a team together to make the largest Deathstar LEGO MOC ever. Some AFOL's dream, like me...and others like you don't just dream they do! You are a Master! :shock:
bobalego

Previous

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase