Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Jabba's Palace 9516 Pulled?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Jabba's Palace 9516 Pulled?

Postby jomandybri » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:26 am

So I'm seeing a few of reports saying Lego is going to cease production/sale of 9516 in 2014 after the allegations of racism... can anyone confirm anything about this?

http://www.hothbricks.com/2013/04/mosquee-de-jabba-lego-cede-sous-la-pression/
http://austriantimes.at/news/General_News/2013-03-31/47713/Lego_backs_down_over_Jabba_Palace_
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/the-racist-menace-muslims-declare-victory-in-fight-over-antiislamic-lego-8555610.html

:shock: I'm really hoping this is April fools come early.
May the mass times acceleration be with you!
jomandybri

Re: Jabba's Palace 9516 Pulled?

Postby JamesBenjamin » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:27 am

Its not true, just internet people freaking out. Its worth noting that the original post from Turkey (or wherever it was) was from a super relegious group that likes to make waves in the media. If, and I do mean *IF* anything were to happen (again, 99.99999% unlikely) it would first happen to Lucasfilm as the movies were already out for 30 years.
We are such stuff as manure is made of, so let's drink up and forget it... -Eugiene O'Neill
JamesBenjamin

Postby JamesBenjamin » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:33 am

HA! So I just read the two english articles you posted, and here's what has happened:

Turkish super religious group complains
"News" website calls lego to say "are you taking Jabba's Palace out of production?"
Lego answers: "Lego has confirmed they will be taking the product off the market from next year according to Austrian media."

***NEXT YEAR would be the product's normal life cycle.***

Turkish group declares "victory"

Welcome to the politics of "scandal making" in the modern 24-hour news cycle.
We are such stuff as manure is made of, so let's drink up and forget it... -Eugiene O'Neill
JamesBenjamin

Postby JamesBenjamin » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:36 am

And to confirm, here's the english translation of the french article, which states exactly what I said:

In the background, it seems that the representatives of LEGO have somehow failed under pressure during a meeting with representatives of the Turkish community in Munich after which Birol Killic declared himself satisfied that LEGO has agreed to stop production set 9516 Jabba's Palace 2014.

LEGO would in any case stopped the production of this set in 2014, after two years of commercialization, and this "agreement" that seems to satisfy the complainant does not require LEGO really questioning its trade policy.
JamesBenjamin

Postby The Phantom Menace » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:08 am

The majority of Lego sets have a lifespan of two years, taking this off the market next year will mean that the set lasted two years too. This is normal Lego policy and it seems to have been spun in a sense that makes all parties happy. Lego haven't actually backed down.
The Phantom Menace

Postby Gooker1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:20 am

Gooker1

Postby Solo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:38 pm

It's Lego pretending to address the complaints by doing what they would have done anyways. Meanwhile, the attention will surely push a few sales for people buying them thinking they'll be hard to find. In a year or two when they're discontinued the price will rise, as is typical with most sets it seems, and uninformed sources will cite this controversy as the reason.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Is this True?

Postby Marty » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:14 pm

I read this today, and I'm totally dumb founded how one group can dictate wether a set can cause offence, honestly this has got to be a joke. When does making a "very poor likeness" of a building reason enough to cause a set to be taken off the shelf?
In case your wondering what I'm on about, read this!
http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2013 ... turks?lite

So they're saying, that if Lego made a St. Paul's Church model and used it in a Harry Potter set, it would piss some-one off?

An what about the SW movie, did that cause offence?

Whats the world coming too!!!!
Marty

Postby Solo » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:36 am

Merged you post with the relevant thread. To paraphrase Obi Wan, it's true... from a certain point of view. But not really.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Solo » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:53 am

Confirming what we already know:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... laims.html
Lego said the demise of "Jabba's Palace" had nothing to do with the racism claims and meetings with Turks, and all to do with the natural lifecycle of the product.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Return to Star Wars