Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Has anyone purchase a LEGO set than regret it for buying it?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Has anyone purchase a LEGO set than regret it for buying it?

Postby legofactory » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:44 pm

Recently, i have purchased 2 LEGO sets including the Magna Guard starfighter and the V-19 torrent. After I finish building it, I feel as though these sets are not that great and its not really worth the value of my money. I wished I could have purchased the AAT or the count dooku's solar sailer instead. What LEGO Star Wars sets do you regret on buying and wish you would have use your money on other Star Wars Sets? Or the other way around.. which set that you wished you would have brought when it was availble at the MSRP price? State the sets you regret on buying and the sets you would rather have.
Last edited by legofactory on Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
legofactory

Re: Has anyone purchase a LEGO set than regret it for buying it?

Postby MrCRskater » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:49 pm

Ironically, I purchased all of those as well (minus the Magnaguard fighter), and for my money, the V-19 Torrent was the best of them. I was a bit sorry that I spent the dough on the Solar Sailer, especially since the new Dooku fig became available in the magnet set. But I sorely regret having bought the AAT which was a sub-par model on so many levels. I mostly bought it for the Yoda fig, which again became available in a magnet set.

Of all the recent Clone Wars models, the best ones are the Republic Attack Shuttle, the Gunship, and AT-TE. I don't have the latter two, but they've received high praise.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby legofactory » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:54 pm

MrCRskater wrote: I don't have the latter two, but they've received high praise.

What is latter two?
But I do agree, I really like the republic attack shuttle, the AT-TE and the republic attack gunship. I'm gonna buy the count dooku solar sailer and AAT. The AAT most likely for yoda and the vehicle. And solar sailer for count dooku figure and his speeder bike.
legofactory

Postby Darth_Marcon » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:01 am

None for me.

I'm a completist. I buy every set I've seen in the store and ordered a few online. There's only a few online I didn't get and that's for financial reasons. I only started buying about 4-5 years ago or so, so I don't have a full collection. There have been some I bought which I felt weren't as exciting but I "had" to buy them anyway. (I'm into displaying the large ships, so the battle packs really aren't my favorite sets but I want them anyway.)
Darth_Marcon

Postby Exposition » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:20 am

I don´t regret any Lego Star Wars purchase, because I think about it a long time and weigh up the pros and cons.
There are some sets from other themes I should never let find their way in my collection, but that´s another subject!
They told me "One size fits all" - but this is ridiculous!
Exposition

Postby Ty55 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:08 am

The droid spider walker, I only got it for Commander Fox, but I can't believe they charged $30 for that dinky thing.
Ty55

Postby bigospedros » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:43 am

No regrets for me either ... if I was ever unsure about a set due to value for money concerns, then I'd wait for it to be on sale and then it wouldn't matter.

Recent example ... Twilight.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Super33 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:31 am

I regreted buying the UCS Falcon a little bit because of the cost but I got over it.
Super33

Postby lowlylowlycook » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:34 am

I don't get the hate for the V-22.

Did people not get the gears that control the wings to work?

I guess I got it on sale from Amazon so it didn't seem like the price was too high, personally.
lowlylowlycook

Postby Chuck » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:32 am

lowlylowlycook wrote:I don't get the hate for the V-22.

Did people not get the gears that control the wings to work?

I guess I got it on sale from Amazon so it didn't seem like the price was too high, personally.

V-22:

V-19
;)

-Chuck
Chuck

Postby darth jason » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:55 am

Well I have the same misgivings as some others with having purchased the Solar Sailer. I like the model itself, the count,his speeder and the magnaguards(this helped sell the set to me since I didnt buy the magnagaurd fighter), I just cant help but feel ripped off in a way because the piece count was so low,and the price so high. I got $10 off the set since I ordered it online at TRU using bill me later so that takes the bite out a little. I even ordered some more flat,brown tiles to smooth out the sides and top of the sloop. I have never had that inclination or felt it necessary with any brand new lego set. So I guess I'm not really regretful as much as I was disapointed because I feel for the price the ship should have a more finished look to it. When I found out on FBTB news that the magnet set came out and that they were actual figures I felt sick because i had just gotten the Mace Windu mini online thinking I was only helping myself save $40 by getting him on ebay for $16 instead of buying a set that I had no intrest in other than the figures. I would have bought the AAT irregardless so thats moot. I dont really regret it though because it was just a bad, uninformed course of action I took but my intentions were good so I cant beat myself up over it. Its just reinforced patience to me,if I had just waited a week I could have avoided all this.I can just enjoy it for what it is, a leason learned, and its not like I got a real bad deal I still didnt pay full price but I didnt hit my usual goals savings wise.

A close second would be the seperatist homing spider. I had a $20 card from my lego points and so I only paid 10 bucks out of pocket..$10 was still to much for that Crap-fest.Considering I could have bought 2 V-wings at the time(yes they still had them at my lego store at the time) free and clear to put into storage. No matter how cool Commander Fox looks and he looks great, its just not enough I just wish they could have made the actual model better at least stable because it flops all over the place.
darth jason

Postby Inzane » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:58 am

Not so much set specific, but to do with themes.

I kinda regret buying into the following DEAD-end themes:

Exo-Force
Mars Mission
Aqua-Raiders
Batman

They each weren't dead when I started collecting them.
Inzane

Postby commander_joe » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:06 pm

Yeah, Harry Potter as well. Fun, but now collecting dust.
commander_joe

Postby liquidcross » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:43 pm

I don't regret buying any specific sets, but sometimes I regret buying a bunch of kits, then having nowhere to display them. That really lets the air out of things. :(
(and don't forget Text and Violence)
liquidcross

Postby BigBenKenobi » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:49 pm

Out of the sets I've collected, I don't really have any regrets about any of them...I love them all :D . Pretty much because I always get the sets that interest me, and don't bother with the ones I would rather not spend the money on. For example the Twilight I had no interest in what-so-ever.
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
BigBenKenobi

Postby Draykov » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:07 pm

I don't really have buyer's remorse too often than I can think of (other than just generally saying to myself on occasion "did I really just drop $300 on LEGO?").

While some sets do diappoint after some long-term exposure, parts is parts, and parts can be absorbed into other, cooler projects.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Raequan » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:26 pm

Grevious. He may look cool, but the build is boring and he's definately not worth it. I should've got the AT-TE :(
Raequan

Postby infallible » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:07 pm

I have a few.

I wish I hadn't purchased Ultimate Lightsaber Duel. I generally enjoy the playsets, but this one was a failure on almost every level.

While I do like the nice Luminara that came with it (even if she's LULS), I could do without the Wookiee Catamaran. Set ended up looking stupid, and was barely in the movie.

Looking back, I'd have purchased less Spider-Man sets. I enjoyed a good number of them, but there are some I can do without (like the one with the dock).

I got the big helicopter from the old Dino Hunters line. It's really cool, but I don't have much use for it, so I can do without it. It's so out of scale with everything else I have, but I should reiterate that it's very cool.

I don't know if I can call it regret, since the only way I could have avoided it was by being precognitive, but I do have a bunch of SW ships that later got remade better (A-Wing, B-Wing, X-Wing, Slave I, Republic Gunship, etc).

However, I look at it as it being better to regret buying something than regret not getting it. I love Cloud City, the Turbo Tank, all the Agents sets, most all the Alpha Team sets, most all the Harry Potter sets, all the Studios monster sets, and a bunch of other things that I'm happy I've purchased. I recall initially passing on the first Millennium Falcon, only to regret it later when I had to pay way more than retail to get it on eBay. And, hey, even if you don't like a set, you can still use the parts in it for other stuff.
infallible

Postby DestructiveDelirium » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:14 pm

I rather regret buying the original Hailfrie droid, (the technique one)
I don't know what I would have preffered to us the money on, but I just wasn't a huge fan of that set once I got it. I think I mostly got it because it was 50% off.
DestructiveDelirium

Postby bigkid24 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:38 pm

I don't usually have buyer's remorse with LEGO because I'm usually pretty picky with what I buy especially when it's Star Wars related. If I had to choose something though it would probably be the Batboat.
bigkid24

Next

Return to Star Wars