Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Okay's Turtles

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

Okay's Turtles

Postby Staff » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:17 pm

Lean Green Ninja Team

I simultaneously applaud and curse Okay Yaramanoglu (Oky - Space Ranger) for the above MOC. Anyone watching the cartoon will instantly recognize the above recreation of one of the opening shots from the cartoon's intro, and for that I applaud him. But I also curse him for reminding that we'll never get official versions of the turtles like this. This is how the turtles should have been made. Or at least have a set or two with their eyes like this. An exclusive maybe? Is that asking for too much? This is also one step closer to how I prefer my turtles. Sigh.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/03/18/okays-turtles/
Staff

Re: Okay's Turtles

Postby emmtwosix » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:55 am

Oh noes! My Lego TMNT's have pupils! :shock:

#firstworldproblems

XD
emmtwosix

Postby onions » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:17 am

okay...
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby CloneDoc » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:44 am

Haha, I would like to vote this thread as the funniest exchange ever! :lol:
CloneDoc

Postby emmtwosix » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:37 am

Sorry, couldn't resist! :) FWP's aside, I must admit they do look pretty cool...
emmtwosix

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:07 pm

Why thank you (and apologies a the same time, I suppose). It would indeed be nice to get the turtles like this. And who knows, maybe we'll get more sets next year and maybe TLG will be kind enough to give us the turtles in this style. The show is still going strong and has been confirmed for a third season, so there is still hope! ;) I'm also hoping for Casey Jones, Metal Head, Karai, Leatherhead, and a mutated Stockman.
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby Trooper10 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:18 pm

I haven't seen the 'new' show, only the originals from way back when....so the white eyes look odd to me...somehow I feel if TLG had produced the turtles with white eyes there would have been a bunch of complaints about zombie turtles, perhaps? We are a tricky little community to try to keep happy are we not? (the vig is pretty cool tho...as is pretty much everything Oky does imo)
Trooper10

Postby Ultron32 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:01 am

The shadow turtle had this. Does anybody know the story behind the shadow turtle(s)?
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:37 pm

Ultron32 wrote:The shadow turtle had this. Does anybody know the story behind the shadow turtle(s)?

I think it's supposed to represent how the turtles looked in the comics (which is fitting seeing as it is a comic con exclusive). Sometimes they were merely silhouettes with the eyes glowing, like on the cover of the first comic. The new cartoon references this as well, right before the reveal of the title in the intro.
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby sparkart » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:44 am

It's standard comic-book superhero convention to portray many masked characters with pupil-less eyes behind the mask. It looks more sinister and conveys more mystery. With a little googling, you can trace this practice back to Batman creators Bill Finger and Bob Kane.

The early TMNT comics were black and white, so slinking in the shadows, as ninjas do, the turtles were just drawn as mostly black silhouettes, with creepy white slits for eyes, like Batman.
sparkart

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase