Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Clone Wars ending?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Clone Wars ending?

Postby JamesBenjamin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:56 am

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Th ... 150638.asp

I have not watched the clone wars show, and at this point was going to wait till they finished up with season 6 and then just get all of the DVDs and watch it in a marathon. This article seems to say that the show is over NOW, with no season 6, but they're saying things already in pre-production will come out, just not on cartoon network? Or not at all? I can't seem to figure out what the hell they're trying to say, actually.

So the larger question is, does season 5 end in a big cliff hanger or will it work as a series finale?
We are such stuff as manure is made of, so let's drink up and forget it... -Eugiene O'Neill
JamesBenjamin

Re: Clone Wars ending?

Postby JamesBenjamin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:57 am

Ok, on re-reading, they do say "stay tuned where you can see this bonus content"... so are we to assume perhaps a 2 hour "movie" to tie everything up then? Speculate away, I suppose...
We are such stuff as manure is made of, so let's drink up and forget it... -Eugiene O'Neill
JamesBenjamin

Postby sparkart » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:49 pm

Am I just a whiny Star Wars fanboy, or was this particular Clone Wars series wildly uneven? I'm definitely NOT in for a whole series disc set, because too much of the show was just wacky to me. The low-point what got me to stop watching altogether for a while was the Mortis story-arc. It just took off in an odd direction and look that was more Final Fantasy, than Star Wars.
sparkart

Postby cas » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:08 pm

I stopped watching around the Mortis episodes as well. Most TV shows have their good episodes and their bad episodes, but you can usually go several weeks until you hit a rough patch (commonly attributed to budget constraints or poor attempts to drag out a story). But this show was hard to predict in terms of quality. "Wildly uneven" is a great way of putting it. I couldn't take it and didn't want to waste my time with that level of uncertainty from one week to the next. This show should have been more planned out and it should have focused more on story arcs over the course of its run.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby emmtwosix » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:19 pm

There were some really good arcs after the Mortis episodes, including the Citadel and Umbaran arcs, but I agree - wildly uneven. The first couple seasons were great, then you starting getting arcs about nothing but droids that would have found a better audience in something like "Detours."

They had some great character development over the whole series, but many were left so unexplored and didn't receive the treatment they deserved. I'm glad
Spoiler: show
Ahsoka left on her own accord, and I hope we see her again.
Also, it would be nice if Rex learned lessons from the episode "The Deserter," and doesn't get caught up in all this Order 66 business, unfortunately, I feel like this is a long shot.

These are the two characters I've come to care about most in this series, and if they give them decent endings, I'll be at least somewhat content with the way things ended.
emmtwosix

Postby Bertramtalespinner » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:33 pm

Hmmm... That 313 had sounded interesting. But if they are making new films, they'll drop everything else to blitz stuff tied to it. Standard Disney operating procedure. Expect Star Wars to be integrated into things like the new Infinity Skylanders knock off.
Bertramtalespinner

Postby buriedbybricks » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:38 pm

With the cancellation of the re-re-(re?)release of the films in 3D and now this, I'm guessing they want to cleanse our paletes for the upcoming sequel. The only real downside I see is the drought this will most likely cause until Ep VII gets here.

I doubt they'll have any other animated offerings ready to go much before the film hits and that's assuming they even want a tie in...

I know nothing about any video game issues except that this will probably put the kibosh on any further Clone Wars LEGO games, which were (mooooostly) the best part of the show for me.

Still, onward and upward!
buriedbybricks

Postby LikeABossk » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:39 pm

Seriously? I was actually starting to enjoy that show.
LikeABossk

Postby naugem » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:39 pm

I agree that 'wildly uneven' is a good description. Hopefully it will wrap-up in a satisfactory way.
Do you think Lego will keep producing CW sets?
naugem

Postby DarthBuilder » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:43 pm

Glad I found and bought seasons 1-4 on sale? Thought it was a good time to get into TCW, figures its ending now.
DarthBuilder

Postby CaptainFordo » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:59 pm

I fifth "wildly uneven". Much prefer the Tartakovsky series (as some of you with slightly more in-depth SWCW knowledge might have twigged by my username :P). Season 3 of TCW was probably my favourite, but I think it was the most uneven :P It happened to have the most good episodes IMO, but it also had some real dull ones. I started renting season 4 and the first disc is a pretty big snooze fest imo. However, the stories are so wide and varied in character and content I think 100 people could watch the show and few would have the same favourite and least favourite eps, so I admire it in that aspect. I also acknowledge it's not really aimed at me.

I'm glad it's ending though, I think 100+ episodes is respectable for any series, especially one that only has a 3 year span of time to take place in... they needed an end game to wrap up things with Ahsoka etc and it seems like they've done that at least.
CaptainFordo

Postby batsamd » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:37 pm

DarthBuilder wrote:Glad I found and bought seasons 1-4 on sale? Thought it was a good time to get into TCW, figures its ending now.

I was tempted to buy the sets when Amazon had them on sale, but decided against it because I knew Season 6 as been in production for a while, I remember Jason and Jimmy mentioning that on the ForceCast before they left that.

For a millisecond I thought that I screwed up not getting them on sale, but remembered that the arcs in production now will be "bonus content" according to the press release.

What better "bonus content" than to have another disc for the never aired season 6 stuff than in a series box set containing all 5 aired seasons?

IMHO, that would definitely get CW fans to fork over money for the box set even if they've bought the seasons individually. Plus, that's following in the Lucas MO of having fans pay for the same material over and over again just because he added a few tweaks here and some deleted scenes there.
batsamd

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:46 pm

I don't think this means that it is ending, just that it wont be on Cartoon Network anymore. There are still several episodes to come, so I think there will still be a season 6, we just don't know where it will be shown.
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby mrfootball » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:07 am

If you read into what they said, the said the Clone Wars productions for Cartoon Network are ending...but they will continue to roll out new episodes and story arcs....

On the Disney Channel (or some other Disney-owned network).

It's just business and one would think Disney would want all of those syndicated shows (and whatever new shows come out) on their own networks.
mrfootball

Postby Haderach1976 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:40 am

My take, as with others, is that this is mostly a business decision to move it off of Cartoon Network. I hope we see a few more releases in some format, either a Season 6 on a Disney related channel or few installments (mini series or 1 hour episodes). It has been amazing to watch the show grow and develop from year to year. Every season the animation got better and better and I've truly enjoyed the show. I agree that season to season there have been a few ups and downs, but overall it's been a truly fantastic experience. This years Mandalore story arc with Deathwatch / Darth Maul / Savage was amazing. The Pre Vizsla / Darth Maul duel was FANTASTIC and serves as a prime example of how far the show has come. I encourage those that got turned off during previous seasons to pick up where you left off. You'll certainly encounter some "filler" episodes, but I think you'll be very glad you kept going, Season 4 and 5 were truly great. Most importantly, I hope Disney / Lucasfilms keeps the group of folks who create SWTCW together, they are a fantastic team and I would love to see anything else they create in the SW Universe.

A bit about me, I'm a 37 year old child of the OT. I enjoyed the PT for the most part, but they surely let me down, I had hoped for so very much more. I've always enjoyed anime / animation and plugged into the Clone Wars during Season 3 (watched Season 1 and 2 and then got current on Season 3 and never stopped). I have a 2 year old son and I can't wait to re-watch SWTCW with him once he's old enough! My $0.02, take care all :)
Haderach1976

Postby Feralcom » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:08 pm

I am a 39 year-old man and grew up on Star Wars. Luckily, I have a young nephew (now 10) I get to spend a lot of time with and relive my youth and the excitement of the Star Wars universe.

SWTCW is, without a doubt, my favorite TV show...ever. Granted, I watch very little TV, but it is the only one that I watched every premiere. Here are my random thoughts...

The show was designed to end (with at least 100 episodes). As long as the stories are tied up, then I am fine with that. Id rather it go out strong than die out slowly in mediocrity.

Just abut every episode was better than movie Episodes 1 and 2 and many were even better than 3.

I dont care what people think of Osaka, I love her and I couldn't be happier with the treatment of the character.

Even Jar-Jar was tolerable in SWTCW.

I think it was well balanced. Sure, I like some stories better than others, but there was always something there for every type of fan. Lots and lots of "easter eggs" for us old folks to catch.

The show could get cutesy and then go very dark. I feel as if that roller coaster was very important. We sit and watch a story arch about a group of unknown Younglings faced with and overcoming their first challenges. Later we see them training as Anakin is in pursuit of a murder suspect. You see these children standing next to Anakin and you realize....just what is probably going to happen to them the next time they set eyes on him.

I could go on forever. I thank the SWTCW Makers and salute them on a job well done.
Feralcom

Postby Prongstar » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:08 pm

This show is great, despite the movie leading into it being a bit goofy, early episodes parroting too many lines from the movies, and wacky filler episodes. Also not a fan of how they changed Mandalorians from the existing EU stuff. Still excellent overall.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them do another CG series set in the new movies time, but yeah, they said that The Clone Wars was over, but they have a bit more that we haven't seen yet.

I love this show and I'm disappointed in all the people I've told about it that never got around to it.
Prongstar

Postby Inzane » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:57 am

When will they be killing off whatshername?
Inzane

Postby Mister Ed » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:57 am

Feralcom wrote:I dont care what people think of Osaka, I love her...

Not enough to get her name right, though. ;)

I kid, I kid! :D
Mister Ed

Postby DarthBuilder » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:01 pm

So I'm trying to get caught up as (mentioned above) I have never seen SWTCW. This news news doesn't make me feel one way or another but to others maybe? "Lucasfilm is canceling Clone Wars without revealing Ahsoka's fate" or Asajj Ventress for that matter. I guess once I get caught up I guess I'll have an opinion.

http://io9.com/noooooooo-lucasfilm-is-c ... -458554352
DarthBuilder

Next

Return to Star Wars