Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO: The Simpsons in 2014?

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

LEGO: The Simpsons in 2014?

Postby DarthBuilder » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:39 am

According to several websites this morning this could happen. There had been a project for it on CUUSOO but has since been deleted. I can't imagine how this would be popular but it would offer a video game opportunity I guess.

Sources:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... e+simpsons

http://www.hothbricks.com/2013/03/the-s ... que-signe/

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/12329 DELETED
Last edited by DarthBuilder on Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarthBuilder

Re: LEGO: The Simpsons in 2014?

Postby hatcher » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:47 am

Wow, that would be, great? (Insert confused voice).

Do kids even watch the Simpsons anymore? I only tune into the halloween specials anymore, and even those have lost a lot of the cool factor.

IF this happens, I really don't see it doing well. What kind of sets would you get with the Simpsons? The Simpsons car? The house? The nuclear plant?

Not seeing the appeal. But that might just be me.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can understand binary, and those that can't.
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you, you are locked up in here with me!" - Rorshach, Watchmen.
hatcher

Lego Simpsons, anyone?

Postby MicroJow » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:21 pm

From BrickSet:

LEGO to license The Simpsons?

Posted by Huw, 07 Mar 2013 13:36. Filed under Miscellaneous.

I've been in denial of this story all day, and didn't want to believe it, hence not posting it until now. Everywhere else has reported it, and I guess it's likely to be of interest to many of you, so, here goes...

"Lego will produce Homer and Marge" claims the Danish newspaper website DR.dk. I guess, thinking about it, it would seem a natural fit given their skin colour, and it's a wonder they've waited this long to acquire a license for the hit TV cartoon.

It's rather surprising that news that negotiations are taking place has become public: normally such things are veiled in secrecy until the contract is signed. But, "Lego's marketing director, Mads Nipper, confirms that the company is negotiating with the people behind the Simpsons, but can not say anything about when an agreement is expected to be in place."

I can honestly say I've never watched an episode of it and it doesn't appeal to me whatsoever, but I suspect I'm in the minority.

Does this fill you with dread or excitement?

http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=5946
MicroJow

Re: Lego Simpsons, anyone?

Postby CaptainFordo » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:33 pm

It doesn't really fill me with anything.

I don't think the Simpsons is what it used to be, but I still turn it on if I have a spare moment at 6.00. However, I don't know how popular it will be as Lego. For one thing they'd be tough to render in minifig form unless they got for solid heads like Toy Story. Then there's also the fact that much of what makes the SImpsons great is humour, so I'm not sure how they could really work that into it, but hey, they have Spongbob, stranger things have happened.
CaptainFordo

Postby Solo » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:04 pm

The source article:
http://ekstrabladet.dk/flash/filmogtv/f ... 932689.ece

Some background:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ekstra_Bladet

So yeah. Don't get too excited folks.

Actually it came from a Danish version of Reuters apparently (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ritzau) which is why the same article pops up verbatim on multiple sites. Still. I'm calling bantha poodoo until further notice.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby DarthBuilder » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:44 pm

After thinking about it, I don't get it. In what world outside of 1991 could this license be successful? I haven't enjoyed The Simpsons since I was 11 and that was mostly to irritate my parents because they didn't get it.

Just can't see this as working outside of being a new video game and even then I think it's a stretch.
DarthBuilder

Postby buriedbybricks » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:31 pm

Sounds to me like LEGO is in negotiations with Fox and everyone is running with the Simpsons angle. I'll bet, if anything, LEGO is interested in another Fox property. One of their more kid friendly offerings like the upcoming Epic (though that one is probably too close), Walking with Dinosaurs, The Flintstones or Cops.
buriedbybricks

Postby onions » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:33 pm

fox also owns the movie rights to xmen. so movie based sets off the next film isn't too far fetched.

still, since the big l is in cahoots with disney, they could always produce stand-alone x-men sets without needing to depend on a movie.

simpsons? i call shenanigans.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby sparkart » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:19 am

With literally decades worth of Simpsons episodes, there's plenty of material from which to base sets. I can just imagine a set with the couch and TV that just comes with Homer, so you have to buy all the other sets to get the whole family on the couch. But just the couch and TV set, there's all kinds of display possibilities with just the Homer figure:

1) Homer veging in front of TV
2) Homer napping on his back
2) Homer napping on his tummy
4) Homer nappying on his side
5) Homer nursing a beer in front of the TV
6) Homer looking for loose change in the couch
7) etc.
sparkart

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:06 am

If LEGO ever gets to the point where they get a license JUST to make some minifigures, and forget the actual sets, I could see it starting with something like this. These are well recognized characters, and so I expect some people would be interested in minifigs of them, but I can't imagine too many people willing to shell out the bucks necessary to get a full-on Simpsons LEGO line just to get the figs.
Mister Ed

Postby banthafodder » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:41 am

When I was a kid I used to stay up late for the Tracy Ullman show just so I could see the Simpson's shorts. While I don't watch them anymore I do have fond memories of the show. Bart's treehouse would be tops on the list for sets for me. I wouldn't mind seeing this as a one year release.
banthafodder

Postby GIR3691 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:19 pm

I can't imagine this as a real thing. If they did though, I fear they'd do creepy molded heads for the minifigures.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby WillyWampa » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:00 am

Mister Ed wrote:If LEGO ever gets to the point where they get a license JUST to make some minifigures, and forget the actual sets, I could see it starting with something like this. These are well recognized characters, and so I expect some people would be interested in minifigs of them, but I can't imagine too many people willing to shell out the bucks necessary to get a full-on Simpsons LEGO line just to get the figs.

I was thinking along a similar line. I doubt that Simpsons sets would be very popular, but if they produced LEGO minifigures of the Simpsons characters and packaged them with the DVD sets, they'd have a bunch of great sellers.
WillyWampa

Postby Gooker1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:14 am

As a Simpsons collecting twilek - it can't be worse than these can it??

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=si ... o&_sacat=0
Gooker1

Postby buriedbybricks » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:43 pm

I'd seen elsewhere folks speculating this to correspond with an upcoming sequel to the film, looks like that idea is out:

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2 ... um=twitter

The last bit quoted from the original Hollywood Reporter article is eerily unsettling though.
buriedbybricks

The Simpsons

Postby freight69 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:09 pm

LEGO to release Simpsons-themed set(s) in 2014

Some people aren't enthused about it.

I am no great Simpsons fan, but I am sure these will sell as well as 21103 The DeLorean Time Machine--maybe better. Back to the Future doesn't come out with weekly new episodes 24 years running. There are a looooot of Simpsons devotees.
freight69

Re: The Simpsons

Postby Solo » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:00 pm

The news about the Simpsons sets isn't really news, that's been floating around since I don't know when. But that adamant opposition... that's new to me at least.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby wyldjedi » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:48 pm

I feel the same about the Simpsons as I do the TMNT line... I would have loved it 10+ years ago when they were more in their prime and me being younger and more of a fan. I like Family Guy much better but I don't think I would buy Lego stuff for them either. The sets and figures would have to be pretty spectacular for me to be interested in them. ... Now Futurama, that is a whole different story. I want a Lego Bender and Zoidberg. That is one line where I would buy everything for just the minifigures. Futurama has much much more potential.
wyldjedi

Postby wegj » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:46 pm

I wonder if they'll have duff cans....

doh!
WEGJ –keep creating!
http://BRICKSTORMS.com Custom Models and Minifigs
wegj

Postby gomek » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:26 am

wegj wrote:I wonder if they'll have duff cans....

It's funny, I was about to write that I was a little indifferent to this but the thought of a Lego Duff can would be pretty cool.

I'm also torn about how the best way to do the figures would be. Will it be sort of like Toy Story, and Sponge Bob with regular mini figure bodies, or more like Friends figures, where the designers will have a little more room to work with the body shapes.

The only thing I don't like right now is one of those like above has people arguing that Lego should not do this because it's too adult themed. I have to say that whole argument is pretty silly and bothers me a little.

I've also been told Lego has now wiped away any/all Cussoo Simpsons projects. I'm sure that's for the best. I hope the owners of those projects greet the news with excitement.
gomek

Next

Return to Licensed Themes