Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Nickelodeon's TMNT Cartoon

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Nickelodeon's TMNT Cartoon

Postby onions » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:06 am

So I can't be the only on enjoying this show. Anyone else out there? I'll admit I never watched the original cartoon; I was too put off by the 'Cowabunga' attitude that was nothing like the original comics. I never watched the series on fox either. So I was a little hesitant going into this series, not sure what to expect, but I'm actually liking it more and more. The story mechanic (of how the slime mutates everything it comes into contact with) works pretty well to introduce new characters and move the story along.

buriedbybricks told me that the Shellraiser finally made it's cartoon debut. I thought I was only behind by an episode or two, but I am currently 4 episodes back. Time to play catch up so I can finally write an informed review.

So, anyone else liking it?
onions
Founder
Founder

Re: Nickelodeon's TMNT Cartoon

Postby CloneDoc » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:27 am

I have been a TMNT fan since the inception of the comics, even going so far as to witness all 3 turtle movies. I enjoyed the old cartoons and I was not sure how they were going to make this series new and exciting. But I accidentally watched an episode onr morning and i have to admit the storyline is pretty good. And the graphics are enjoyable as well. I am glad it has a chance to stick around a while at least. Especially since the LEGO sets look so good.
CloneDoc

Postby onions » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:31 am

i just hope they decide to make more sets. I'm not sure how they could do that though. Maybe make some of the repeated locations, like shredder's penthouse suite, the noodle house maybe? i dunno, but not having a second wave to look forward to this year means we'll have to wait that much longer for another wave IF another wave is even in the works. The show's been renewed for a second season so who knows...
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Gooker1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:19 pm

It's a great show and i really enjoy the humor in the show. I loved the animated series as a kid and saw all the movies too, even the animated movie from a few years ago. :)

I haven't followed this show religiously, but from the 5 or so eps I've watched, it's great. Just finishing up the origin story on youtube now.
Gooker1

Postby onions » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:33 pm

wait there was an animated movie?

/* goes to wikipedia */

looking over the filmography there, it's making me want to watch the previous cartoon. the animated movie sounds interesting; and with patrick stewart in it, how bad can it be?
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby buriedbybricks » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:35 pm

onions wrote:the animated movie sounds interesting; and with patrick stewart in it, how bad can it be?

Dude. Seriously?
buriedbybricks

Postby Gooker1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:19 pm

The new show is loads better than the movie. It's worth a watch if you're bored, but the show is a lot better IMO.
Gooker1

Postby onions » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:07 am

finally caught up to The Pulverizer episode.

Spoiler: show
i'm bummed that the kraang got their power supply back cause having the shellraiser show up for just one episode seems like such a waste.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Ultron32 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:10 pm

Boomakacha! I think i missed a bunch of episodes, but i like the show.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby onions » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:02 am

so i guess this episode (tcri) is what the kraang lab escape set was based on. while not too accurate its a pretty good representation of the escape scene.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:31 pm

It's kinda funny how there is a highlight of the latest TMNT episode, but no mention of the Star Wars The Clone Wars season finale, especially since this was originally a Lego Star Wars centric site...

Anyway, yes, I like the current cartoon too. It does a nice job of mixing all the good aspects from previous incarnations of the turtles and appealing to a wide audience. I was never a fan of the campiness of the first cartoon either and usually prefer the more dark and serious turtles as in the original comics. While this new cartoon is definitely lighthearted too, it's not too goofy and can get relatively serious at times. I especially like how they go from the normal pupiled eyes to the badass white eyes during fight scenes. The mix of regular CG animation with stylized anime is overall well done. In some ways I still prefer the previous cartoon, the 2003 series. For example, I don't really like how they treat Mikey and Donnie as less skilled fighters as Leo and Raph. In the previous series, Mikey was funny and Donnie really smart too, but they were at the same level as their two brothers as far as fighting skills go. Plus I prefer the stylized comic book look over the kid-friendly cartoon look. But the new show is still very entertaining to watch. Plus the new theme song is totally kickass.

Ace, if you like the more serious turtles, I can recommend the 2003 series and the CG animated movie. A lot of people didn't like the movie, and I can understand why. It feels like a sequel to a movie that never existed, and so nobody is sure what continuity it is set in. But the animation, voice-over work, and story are so great that it deserves to be checked out by any fan of the turtles in my opinion.
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby buriedbybricks » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:21 pm

Evolve or Die.

I don't know where our two Clone Wars reporters went, but if people clamour for it I can make the effort to do reminder posts next season. To be honest, this season has been meh at best for me and I've totally lost interest in some episodes and wandered off in the middle. I'm hoping Disney is working on a new toon and they'll scrap this one sooner than later.

Turtles has me hooked and I'm happy to see Ace and others are too.
buriedbybricks

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:43 pm

I understand. It was just an observation, that's all. :) It's a shame, though, that you stopped watching halfway through because the second half of the season was WAY better than the first half.

Back on topic, I caught up with the latest episode of TMNT, and yes, it does seem like the Kraang Lab Escape was based on this episode. Too bad it didn't include Leatherhead instead of the random foot ninja, seeing as he was in the episode. Oh well.
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby buriedbybricks » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:32 pm

I didn't stop halfway through the season, I gave up halfway through indivual episodes because they were so bad.

Only have to watch the last arc, if I can make it through.
buriedbybricks

Postby onions » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:10 am

Oky Wan Kenobi wrote:Plus the new theme song is totally kickass.

Glad i'm not the only one to think that. i was almost afraid to admit it at the risk of losing 'cool' points...

ah let's face it, i never had very much to begin with. :lol:
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby buriedbybricks » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:09 am

First time we watched it with my wife, she got very grumpy and said she hated the new theme.

Since then she's changed her tune and we've caught her singing it on her own. Infectious!
buriedbybricks

Postby onions » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:40 pm

gorram, no new episode this week. maybe canucks can finally catch up. next new episode is for the 15th.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:55 pm

Image NOOOOOOOOOOO!
No TMNT, no Clone Wars, not even a new Ultimate Spider-Man. :'( Oh well, at least there's still DC Nation. That is, if CN doesn't randomly decide to put it on hiatus again.
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby buriedbybricks » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:07 am

All caught up. Good ep and I like how they keep the mystery building. It's fun when the episodes ends and your 5 year old says "Bum, bum, buuummmmmm!".
buriedbybricks

Postby Gooker1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:03 am

I'm caught up on most of the episodes, but apparently the ones I haven't seen are some of the best ones, ie, the Gauntlet.

After seeing the Shellraiser episode, I'm completely content w/ the way Lego made it. :)
Gooker1

Next

Return to Licensed Themes