Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

New website for buying and trading Lego in the works

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

New website for buying and trading Lego in the works

Postby MCoad » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:41 pm

There's a Kickstarter project for a new website called The Brick Stop. It will be a place for members to buy, sell and trade Lego. They're trying to improve on some of the outdated and clunky sites out there, and to streamline the process for both sellers and buyers. Also, there will be no seller fees.
I found out about it on Brickset and I'm pretty excited about the idea. Read more on the project's Kickstarter page: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1401652493/the-ultimate-website-to-trade-lego-bricks-and-inst
MCoad

Re: New website for buying and trading Lego in the works

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:19 am

Interesting idea....I mean competition is always a good thing. It will incentivize bricklink to keep their fees low. Besides that, doesn't seem like the site will go anywhere. And if it did get big, anyone wanna take a bet that they wouldn't start charging fees? Unless they plan on adding 10 ads per page, 50,000 pounds is not going to pay the salaries of the people the person claims will start working on the site full-time.
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby Tyrant » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:17 pm

I don't consider Bricklink's fees to be outrageous. It's free to list everything, forever, and then a small percentage upon sale. Compared to Ebay it's a steal. I'll watch where this goes, but I don't see much reason to leave Bricklink.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code
Bricklink Store
Tyrant

Postby MCoad » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:02 pm

ThinkingImpaired wrote:And if it did get big, anyone wanna take a bet that they wouldn't start charging fees? Unless they plan on adding 10 ads per page, 50,000 pounds is not going to pay the salaries of the people the person claims will start working on the site full-time.

Good point. I hope this project takes off, but you bring up a good question.

Tyrant wrote:I don't consider Bricklink's fees to be outrageous. It's free to list everything, forever, and then a small percentage upon sale. Compared to Ebay it's a steal. I'll watch where this goes, but I don't see much reason to leave Bricklink.

To me, the attraction isn't primarily the free part, it's the ease of use and graphic design. The fact is, Bricklink's idea is great, but it isn't easy to use and looks like a Windows 98 holdover. It needs to be upgraded, and competition never hurts--it might spur some innovation over on Bricklink.
MCoad

Return to General LEGO Discussions