Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

NY Toy Fair 2013: Hasbro's Construction Sets

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

NY Toy Fair 2013: Hasbro's Construction Sets

Postby Staff » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:52 pm

KRE-O Kreons

Hasbro expands their KRE-O brand this year with the much talked about Star Trek license and finally releases sets based on thier GI Joe property, but that's not all they're up to. Check out the full report after the jump if you're interested in what LEGO's latest "serious" competition is doing in 2013.

Honestly, I don't pay much attention to LEGO's competition. Occasionally I lament a license I'd like to see them have going to a competitor, or I'll notice a part I wish LEGO made as I pass by another brand. Star Trek is one of those licenses that will get my attention and then leave me crying myself to sleep at night, because it's not LEGO.

Star Trek KRE-O
Star Trek KRE-OStar Trek KRE-O

As much as I'd love for LEGO to get all the licenses, it's not going to happen. Hasbro seems to be following the LEGO Star Wars model on this one and it's at least interesting if totally disheartening. First off, Star Trek encorporates the brand new Light Tech feature and they're planning on shoving it down your throat because LIGHT TECH!

Star Trek KRE-O

Light Tech will be in the vehicles as seen above and in the individual sets as well. One tiny set has it in Kirk's Space Diving helmet and at least it seems as though the batteries will be replaceable, even in the Kreons. Light Tech is so important in this launch that it has even been added to the bases of the new miniship sub theme. I have to admit, I wish I disliked these more.

aIMG_0052
aIMG_0067aIMG_0067

With vehicles, play-sets, miniships and Kreon packs, they're covering a lot of ground on this one and it's all enhanced by the revolutionary... LIGHT TECH! Why didn't somebady think of this before?

GI Joe KRE-O
GI Joe KRE-OGI Joe KRE-O

The second new launch is the long awaited (as long as KRE-O has been around anyway) GI Joe. They had very little on hand, with the majority of the Kreons only on the wall display. The sets they did have were incomplete and that was a disappointment because the stand-out model I saw in the presentation was the HISS Tank, which was MIA on display. Sorry, Nick.

GI Joe KRE-O

I was a huge GI Joe fan as a kid. The majority of my toys were Joe's, but these don't appeal to me at all. One thing that really bugs me about the brand is the Kreons and their big, blocky shoulders. It makes sense with the Tranformers. They're robots with big, blocky shoulders. Spock is not and neither is Snake Eyes.

Transformers KRE-O

Transformers KRE-O will continue to roll out and will offer some new products along with the standard sets and individually packed Kreons. There will be new customizable Kreons with fancy chrome and transparent parts and weapons that can be set up as a mini armoury and switched around to create your own combinations. Also, there will be Transformers tubs (there could have been already for all I know), which seems like a great idea to me. Please, no links to the Dark Side Bucket on CUUSOO, that's not exactly what I had in mind.

Transformers KRE-OTransformers KRE-O
Transformers KRE-O

There are more Transformers pics in the Hasbro set for your viewing..... uhhh... let's say pleasure.

Hasbro Construct-Bots

Last up was a bit of a curve ball for me. I'd heard of the new Construct-Bots line, but figured it would be the Hero Factory equivalent of KRE-O. Not quite though.

Hasbro Construct-Bots
Hasbro Construct-BotsHasbro Construct-Bots

Hero Factory-ish yes, but Construct-Bots is it's own seperate identity and does not appear to be compatible with KRE-O. It's almost like they answered the complaints that Transformers KRE-O doesn't actually transform by not fixing the issue and just moving on to the next line, while keeping KRE-O exactly the way it is. Problem solved!

Hasbro Construct-Bots

The sets are self conatined, come in three sizes (S-M-L basiclly) and even have individual storage containers included. The models transform and many come with extra parts, so you can create multiple forms for specific characters. Also, all the parts are interchangable with the other sets, so you can create your own custom model and then try to figure out how to transform it. One plus for the older generation is that they've based the heads on the original G1 looks. They aren't perfect copies, but you'll get the idea.

So that's what Hasbro is bringing to the table. While I'm not a fan of the "knock-off" brands I enjoyed the Hasbro event anyway for the other Transformer, GI Joe, Star Wars and Marvel toys and viewed the whole event as an eye opening experience.
Thoughts? Comments? Have at it.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/02/20/ny-toy-fair-2013-hasbros-construction-sets/
Staff

Re: NY Toy Fair 2013: Hasbro's Construction Sets

Postby Mr. Mandalorian » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:03 pm

They've ripped off cheese bricks? Curse you, Hasbro!

I know it's been said since the Transformers sets last year, but this is just ridiculous that they can take Lego's every brick design and clone it. Even the name Kre-o sounds like a bad rip-off of Lego.

That said, some of those minikits seem pretty nice.

I'm going to go and feel self-righteous and angry in a corner, now.
True happiness: looking inside the box to see a perfectly flat instruction manual.

My flickr
Mr. Mandalorian

Postby Solo » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:22 pm

Honestly I wish Lego would take a page from their book and steal improve some of the parts they come up with.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby buriedbybricks » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:29 pm

Agreed. I saw a 2x2 round tile in a MB set that was actually a grill piece.

I want it so bad.
buriedbybricks

Postby Sharpie Clone » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:36 pm

As someone who grew up playing with GI Joe and had built a few LEGO versions of the vehicles and figures, it's cool to see them in actual brick form. However, looking through the photos, my excitement was mixed with quite a bit of disappointment. While some of the figures look pretty spot on, the overall collection is underwhelming and feels very "kiddie". The Water-moccasin attack boat is horribly scaled and undersized.

It's really sad to see Hasbro/Cre-O put out such weak products with very marketable franchises, especially after LEGO has done all the "heavy lifting". I guess "cheap knockoff" was the plan instead of splitting the market.
Sharpie Clone

Postby lego the hutt » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:57 pm

I have to say those lights are so much better than a Lego light brick. I noticed that from early Toy Fair pics right away. The lights were about all that interested me but I could see Star Trek or Joe fans liking these for the theme.
lego the hutt

Postby lego the hutt » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:06 am

Mr. Mandalorian wrote:They've ripped off cheese bricks? Curse you, Hasbro!

I know it's been said since the Transformers sets last year, but this is just ridiculous that they can take Lego's every brick design and clone it. Even the name Kre-o sounds like a bad rip-off of Lego.

That said, some of those minikits seem pretty nice.

I'm going to go and feel self-righteous and angry in a corner, now.

This is a little silly. I think most people realize Lego's patent expired in the 80's. There are more than half a dozen companies who make Lego brick clones.
lego the hutt

Postby onions » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:15 am

onions
Founder
Founder

Postby wegj » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:22 am

I must admit, that Enterprise is really tempting, especially with the lights.
WEGJ –keep creating!
http://BRICKSTORMS.com Custom Models and Minifigs
wegj

Postby Harmonica » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:24 am

As a major Star Trek fan, that ...thing is not tempting in the least. Or their whole Star Trek line, for that matter.

It's like they said to each other "Right, how can we make this stuff as ugly as possible?"
Harmonica

Postby hatcher » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:13 am

Interesting side note. Zellers (in Canada) is going out of business. The last remaining stores are liquidating all their stock as we speak. I was in my local store yesterday, all toys are 50% off. They have long sold all their lego (except a few Hero Factory sets), but they have shelf after shelf of Megablocks and Kre-o collecting dust. And at other places I go I see the same thing, Toys R Us, Walmart, Chapters, doesn't matter what the deal is, the clone brands just don't move.

As to the pictured sets here, no interest, even if they were LEGO. The Star Trek sets are based on the movies, which I didn't hate, but they aren't my Star Trek. The light up bricks are cool, but not cool enough to make me divert money from my LEGO budget for.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can understand binary, and those that can't.
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you, you are locked up in here with me!" - Rorshach, Watchmen.
hatcher

Postby gomek » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:29 am

I think this sort of thing might be good, as it will push Lego to think about their own product in different ways. If these Star Trek sets came out 20 years ago, or they had beat Lego to the Star Wars license, I could see this making an major impact, but as it stands they are still a step behind and a dollar short.

The only thing that still annoys me is that Kubricks figured out how to release licensed Minifigures in affordable stand alone packages and Lego still hasn't figured out how to do that. For some reason my friend was about to purchase a set of Marvel Alpha Flight Kubricks figures, but I still can't get a Lego Daredevil, Flash, or Fantastic Four; or a Green Lantern under $130 dollars.
gomek

Postby mooslug » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:42 am

What an original marketing campaign they've come up with...

mooslug

Postby DagsBricks » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:29 am

And with that Bucket you can STILL only build one model at a time. :D

Brian
DagsBricks

Postby Mr. Mandalorian » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:29 am

I think most people realize Lego's patent expired in the 80's. There are more than half a dozen companies who make Lego brick clones.

Well, of course, but Hasbro is an interesting case because they've gone after Lego before about Lego's battle packs.

Kre-o has been around for a year, but I had no idea they were copying such recent pieces.
True happiness: looking inside the box to see a perfectly flat instruction manual.

My flickr
Mr. Mandalorian

Postby JustPlainJim » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:51 am

Ya know, it's tough being a (mostly) purist Lego fan and a Transformers fan. I see these and my knee-jerk reaction is to both love them and hate them at the same time.
I bought one of the early Kre-O sets and they're not bad. Not great. But they don't feel like they're going to spontaneously break apart like the Mega Blok Halo kits I've bought in the past. My only beef is that you don't 'transform' them so much as take them apart and put them back together in vehicle form.
That said, I'll probably get a couple of the Construct Bots. Bonus if they're conveniently compatible with the Hero Factory parts.

As for Star Trek, the big set looks rather 'chibi', but the smaller ship sets look like they have a lot of potential Especially if I can get lots of Star Trek-y bits and make some of the other ships from eras past.
JustPlainJim

Postby Polynices » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:01 pm

It's depressing how terrible those sets look. The minifigures are especially horrific looking. Were they trying to make them look as cheap and icky as possible? I really don't want to be a LEGO snob but the knock-offs are just so bad. I get that they're going for a cheaper price point but you'd think they could at least afford better design work.

I guess there's still some faint hope of LEGO doing Star Trek someday -- Iron Man and Spider Man had previously been done by non-LEGO and yet now we have awesome LEGO sets of those properties.
Polynices

Postby davedude » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:20 pm

i want LEGO Joe!!!!
davedude

Postby mrfootball » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:31 pm

Love Lego so I'm excited to see new competition that will push them and motivate them to continually improve. Competition is good. These new Kreo Star Trek items aren't any worse than Legos initial Star Wars offerings, I expect they'll improve. Lego will Need to continue to make big strides with the Star Wars line if they wish to hold onto it in the future. There has been talk of Disney wanting to buy Hasbro and I'm sure Lego is keenly aware of what that could mean to their marquis license.
mrfootball

Postby GrayMattR » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:23 am

Mr. Mandalorian wrote:Even the name Kre-o sounds like a bad rip-off of Lego.

The Latin word creo means "to create" so they've added a hipster K and hyphen to make it cool. :facepalm: I don't begrudge Hasbro getting into the construction toy market because I hope it makes Lego better.

I was as much into GI Joe as I was into Star Wars as a kid of the 80's so these are interesting to me but I'll never buy one on the basis that they don't look good. The models look disproportionate and the minifigures are pretty ugly. If they wanted to make the minifigures less "blocky" like Lego figs, they could have at least had some curve to them instead of just blocks and tubes. Although I haven't handled any actual Kre-o sets, the plastic looks cheap like Megablocks.
GrayMattR

Next

Return to General LEGO Discussions