Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

UCS X-wing 10240 Red Five X-wing Starfighter Officially Leaked

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: UCS X-wing 10240 Red Five X-wing Starfighter Officially

Postby DarthBuilder » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:51 am

Hadn't thought of it before but since this will be available in May, maybe we will see a nice May the 4th promotion to go along with it?

Specific to the purchase of it anyhow. Probably another shot at getting TC-14s :lol:
DarthBuilder

Postby remi » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:19 am

etcknight wrote:Also the price point is a lot higher than the original

Totally false.

The original 7191 was $150 for 1,300 parts... in 2000. $150 13 years ago is just about $200 today. This new x- wing is $200 for 1,558 parts, which is a lower price point than the original.

Inflation is a bith.

Counterintuitively, LEGO is also getting cheaper over time in general. If you've been in the hobby any length of time, that sounds absurd, but here's proof.
remi

Postby sparkart » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:58 am

I think it looks nice enough, for a LEGO model. I'm in for one (in May, thanks DarthBuilder). I, too, was in my Dark Ages when 7191 was offered for retail sale, and when I got back into LEGO, I wasn't impressed enough with 7191 to buy or re-create it.

I wouldn't mind getting another TC-14 E-3PO. "E chu ta!"
sparkart

Postby Chief » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:20 am

I am also super excited about this set, as yet another person who missed out on the first one.
Chief

Postby winbrant » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:44 pm

It's ironic in that the designer said he modeled after the Episode IV Death Star run yet the box picture depicts the incomplete Death Star from Episode VI...in which Luke's X-wing was not at...unless he lent it out :roll:
...but R2 was on Endor... :lol:
winbrant

Postby mr_joshua » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:36 pm

Holy bantha poodoo...So I am assuming that the UCS sets will completely go away now? Because this kinda negates the 'UC' in UCS. Just like anything marked 'collectable' these days...it's not really. I, for one, have already begun buying less and less LEGO sets over the years. Why?...because they keep re-making the same set over and over. Why buy extras of the last X-Wing (or A-wing, or Y-Wing, or Snowspeeder...) when they will just go ahead and make a copy again in 2-4 years. Yes, to target a new up and coming group of LEGO SW fans. Completely understand that, my kids both fall into that category. However I used to buy at least one extra of just about every set released because I knew that one day I wouldn't be able to find one that my then very young children may want. One set for me now, and save another for them later. With all these re-hashes and re-releases I have saved personally about $1,000 a year on NOT buying extras anymore.

Is this a good move for LEGO? I am sure I am not the only one who has cut my 'extras' out...or am I?

On a positive note, I can now finally get a replacement canopy for the original I have...I still have no idea how that cracked. Did they change/improve anything really? It looks like they changed the nose a bit...reminds me of Peter Griffin's chin.

Sorry to be a debbie downer....I still love LEGO and SW and LEGO SW....
mr_joshua

Postby FallenJedi » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:56 am

The C in UCS does not stand for collectables, it stands for collectors. I always took it to mean that Ultimate Collectors Series were for those individuals who considered themselves the ultimate collectors of Star Wars Lego. The price point, normally based on the number of pieces and detail, was aimed at those individual who truly love Star Wars and Lego and would appreciate models with that increased level of detail and "realism". In my opinion, people only chose to buy multiple sets once they had seen that the values for these limited production runs increased once they were no longer available. If the value had not increased significantly, people would not have chosen to buy multiples (except for pieces or to build their own fleets). However, whether their value increases or not, that does not change the true idea behind the UCS line. I seriously doubt Lego set out to create a secondary market, although they do benefit from in from a certain perspective. Belief that a certain model will increase in value likely drives the model to sell out faster, hence Lego and the retailers make their money sooner. But that is really the only benefit to Lego. For me, the UCS is for the Ultimate Collector and my UCS models are all displayed on my shelves, except for the Jedi fighter which really was a turd. but on sale for $50 made a pretty good set for parts. Good on those who make a few extra bucks on the secondary market, but that is not the driving force behind UCS existence (at least in my opinion). I think this one is going to go fast, there seems to be a lot of early interest.
FallenJedi

Postby DarthBuilder » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:37 am

Ultimate Collectors Series at first, then after being discontinued they become Ultimate Cash Suckers.
DarthBuilder

Postby FallenJedi » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:07 am

DarthBuilder wrote:Ultimate Collectors Series at first, then after being discontinued they become Ultimate Cash Suckers.

So true.
FallenJedi

Postby lowlead » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:58 am

FallenJedi wrote:...and my UCS models are all displayed on my shelves, except for the Jedi fighter which really was a turd.

:lol:

I think I'm the only one who actually likes that set.

I have a new resolve with respect to this X-wing - it's now a good little challenge to mod it to my liking. Something to look forward to and, aside from the TERRIBLE tiny engines and nose, it's a good looking model. I did the same with the IS...the aft thruster section was a lame design on an otherwise brilliant model.

I'm already drafting a fix for the nose, but this may be one instance where I wish LEGO would make a new, non-trans canopy piece...YES, I want the easy way out! :D
lowlead

Postby FallenJedi » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:33 am

lowlead wrote: :lol:

I think I'm the only one who actually likes that set.

Perhaps I am a little hard on it. I just think it could have been so much better. It seems so much less than the other UCS sets.
FallenJedi

Postby onions » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:20 am

yeah, i'm in the same camp as lowlead. after the initial ooh and aah, it just looks wrong in so many places....
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby lowlead » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:54 am

^^Yes!

I'll shut up about it shortly, but it boggles my mind that the same shortcoming (tiny engines) of 7191 actually got carried over to a brand new model!! Again, I'm a broken record on this issue, sorry, but I really wanted this set to shine after the 'trial run' 13 years ago. I'm just disappointed that they wasted an opportunity to hit it out of the park. So, we modify it instead. I'll go into the LEGO store, pick up my copy, and get to work :)

[/rant off]
lowlead

Postby chabala » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:17 am

What's the scale like on this model? Obviously minifig R2 still works well, since he's included. Will system scale minifigs look too small? Would TECHNIC figs fit, or would they be too big?
chabala

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:42 am

These were taken long ago with the old 7191, but the overall scale of the sets appears to be the same.

7191 UCS X-wing Fighter vs. Minifig by Bard with a Beard, on Flickr

So it's a slightly tight fit for the Technic figure and the system minifig is definitely too small to sit down in the cockpit (he is standing in that pic).
Gingerbeard Man

Postby Flynn » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:34 am

lowlead wrote:I'll shut up about it shortly, but it boggles my mind that the same shortcoming (tiny engines) of 7191 actually got carried over to a brand new model!!

Yeah, those bother me the more I look at them. They really should've used these and then scaled the rest of the engines up to match.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby onions » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:56 pm

based on those two pics from gingerbeard man, is it safe to assume that a ucs x-wing properly scaled to a minifig would be smaller than 7191 and 10240? how much bigger than the standard system scale one would it be?

and i guess while i'm thinking out loud, how accurate is the ucs falcon in terms of being minifig scale? something i've always wondered but never bothered to do the math on it.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Inzane » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:57 am

There is a disturbance in the force...

:S
Inzane

Postby TK Doom » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:22 pm

interesting, should i sell my extra 7191 that is mint in box now, because it will go down in value...

Its really too bad they are doing this.
TK Doom

Postby Solo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:35 am

TK Doom wrote:Its really too bad they are doing this.
...why?
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars