Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

UCS X-wing 10240 Red Five X-wing Starfighter Officially Leaked

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Postby jomandybri » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:13 am

10240_IN_MA.indd

Internet Drama. It's a thing. This is the time line of how the leak broke out as far as I can understand it:

- someone in taiwan.
- then hothbricks posts it
- then someone in eb posts it
- then someone posts it on fbtb
- then lego tells hothbricks to take it down
- but then hothbricks says you can see it here and there and everywhere on the internet at this point

So we waited for the official embargo lift time, which was 1pm PST, only to realize that somewhere along that time line, Jan Beyer of the official LEGO Community Team blog went ahead and posted pics of the model anyway. Pic was presumably taken at the LEGO World event earlier today.

Worst. Product launch. Ever.

ANYWAYS, the set will come out in May, will cost you $199.99 USD, and has 1,558 pieces. Here are the pics, and video, and the press release:

10240_IN_MA.indd 10240_box1_na 10240_Back-Cover-X-wing 10240_Cover-X-Wing 10240_Detail-A 10240_Detail-C 10240_Func-A 10240_Func-B 10240_Prod 10240_Tech-A 10240_Tech-AA 10240_Tech-B 10240_Tech-C 10240_Tech-CC 10240-R2-Call-out 10240_Back-Cover-R2D2

10240 - Red Five X-wing Starfighter™

Ages 16+. 1,558 pieces.

Build the ultimate LEGO® Star Wars™ X-wing Starfighter!

US $199.99 CA $249.99 DE 199.99€ UK 169.99 £ DK 1699.00 DKK
Collect and create the most highly detailed LEGO® Star Wars™ X-wing Starfighter ever produced. This iconic starfighter is featured in many of the most exciting Star Wars battle scenes, including the decisive battle scene above planet Yavin™. Recreate the moment when Luke Skywalker’s X-wing delivered the proton torpedo that led to the destruction of the Imperial Death Star! With 1,558 pieces, this realistically detailed model features opening wings and cockpit, a special display stand, data sheet label and R2-D2.
• Includes R2-D2 atromech droid
• Features highly authentic detailing, and opening wings and cockpit
• Includes 1,558 pieces
• Measures over 10" (26cm) high, 20" (52cm) long and 18" (46cm) wide
• Includes display stand and data sheet label!

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/02/15/ucs-x-wing-10240-red-five-x-wing-starfighter-officially-leaked/
May the mass times acceleration be with you!
jomandybri

Re: 10240 Red Five X-Wing Starfighter

Postby jomandybri » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:18 am

Now strictly speaking it's not called an Ultimate Collector series, but look at that thing... seriously. What else is it?

Details from the press release:
Build the ultimate LEGO ® Star Wars ™ X-wing Starfighter!

Collect and create the MOST highly detailed LEGO ® Star Wars ™ X-wing starfighter ever produced. This is featured in iconic starfighter Many of the MOST exciting Star Wars battle scenes, Including the decisive battle scene above planet Yavin ™. Recreate the moment When Luke Skywalker's X-wing proton torpedo the Delivered That led to the destruction of the Imperial Death Star! With 1.558 pieces, this realistically detailed model features opening cockpit and wings, a special display stand and data sheet label R2-D2.

• Includes R2-D2 droid atromech
• Features highly authentic detailing, and wings and opening cockpit
• Includes parts 1558
• Measures over 10 "(26cm) high, 20" (52cm) long and 18 "(46cm) wide

Edit: D'oh, forgot pricing. US $199.99, CA $249.99, DE 199.99€, UK 169.99£
May the mass times acceleration be with you!
jomandybri

Re: 10240 Red 5 X-Wing Starfighter

Postby rmoore » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:23 am

Yes! I sold my UCS X Wing years ago, and have regretted it since. Right now I'm in the midst of collecting bricks for building another one, but that might get put on hold. I'm really liking the updated detailing on those rear thrusters (without using the scala flower pots)!

I hope the UCS Falcon gets the same treatment one day. These aren't investments, they're toys.
rmoore

Postby enigmapc » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:30 am

Very nice! I looks like the mechanism to open the wings is enclosed behind the cockpit. Finally an x-wing without rubber bands. How did the wings work on the previous UCS x-wing model?
enigmapc

Postby Haderach1976 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:55 am

Thanks for the post! I'm sure everyone is going to fall into various camps with respect to this announcement. As one who only collects UCS, I wasn't back into the hobby (from my childhood) when the original UCS X-Wing came out, so I'm personally thrilled beyond belief that I'm going to be able to pick this up later this year and have it permanently displayed in my home office that I work from every day. It is going to bring a huge smile to my face as my existing UCS models do today. I certainly understand how this is a bit of a stinker for those who already own the original, as there are many more models we'd all love to see in UCS format. Maybe we'll see more than one UCS release this year. Time to get back to work, feeling very giddy right now :)
Haderach1976

Postby Haderach1976 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:51 am

Any thoughts on the droopy / unstable looking upper and lower guns? Looks easy enough to reinforce with extra pieces (might not look to great), but looks a little unstable in these images.

http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 8348_o.jpg

Haderach1976

Postby lowlead » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:25 pm

Neat.

Except...am I the ONLY one who still thinks the engine nacelles look stunted and way out of proportion???

With respect to the engine size, I was looking forward to something more like this....

...and what's up with the big trench down the middle of the nose? Meh, whatever, glad other collectors can get in on it. I'll wait for a sale.
lowlead

Postby Staff » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:44 pm

10240_IN_MA.indd

Internet Drama. It's a thing. This is the time line of how the leak broke out as far as I can understand it:

- someone in taiwan.
- then hothbricks posts it
- then someone in eb posts it
- then someone posts it on fbtb
- then lego tells hothbricks to take it down
- but then hothbricks says you can see it here and there and everywhere on the internet at this point

So we waited for the official embargo lift time, which was 1pm PST, only to realize that somewhere along that time line, Jan Beyer of the official LEGO Community Team blog went ahead and posted pics of the model anyway.

Worst. Product launch. Ever.

ANYWAYS, the set will come out in May, will cost you $199.99 USD, and has 1,558 pieces. Here are the pics, and video, and the press release:

10240_IN_MA.indd 10240_box1_na 10240_Back-Cover-X-wing 10240_Cover-X-Wing 10240_Detail-A 10240_Detail-C 10240_Func-A 10240_Func-B 10240_Prod 10240_Tech-A 10240_Tech-AA 10240_Tech-B 10240_Tech-C 10240_Tech-CC 10240-R2-Call-out 10240_Back-Cover-R2D2

10240 - Red Five X-wing Starfighter™

Ages 16+. 1,558 pieces.

Build the ultimate LEGO® Star Wars™ X-wing Starfighter!

US $199.99 CA $249.99 DE 199.99€ UK 169.99 £ DK 1699.00 DKK
Collect and create the most highly detailed LEGO® Star Wars™ X-wing Starfighter ever produced. This iconic starfighter is featured in many of the most exciting Star Wars battle scenes, including the decisive battle scene above planet Yavin™. Recreate the moment when Luke Skywalker’s X-wing delivered the proton torpedo that led to the destruction of the Imperial Death Star! With 1,558 pieces, this realistically detailed model features opening wings and cockpit, a special display stand, data sheet label and R2-D2.
• Includes R2-D2 atromech droid
• Features highly authentic detailing, and opening wings and cockpit
• Includes 1,558 pieces
• Measures over 10" (26cm) high, 20" (52cm) long and 18" (46cm) wide

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/02/15/ucs-x-wing-10240-red-five-x-wing-starfighter-officially-leaked/
Staff

Re: UCS X-wing 10240 Red Five X-wing Starfighter Officially

Postby JamesBenjamin » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:53 pm

Dammit! Why is the video set to "private" =(
We are such stuff as manure is made of, so let's drink up and forget it... -Eugiene O'Neill
JamesBenjamin

Postby clrobertson » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:23 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the first time they have "remade" an UCS? If so, this gets my hopes needlessly high that an updated Millennium Falcon UCS might come out soon (perhaps to coincide with the return of Han Solo and the Falcon to the big screen?!?).
clrobertson

Postby etcknight » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:27 pm

Not a bad update, but not different enough for me. I think it's great for those who don't have a 7191 UCS X-wing already, but if you do, personally I think the 7191 looks better than this model. The front nose part really bothers me on this model. Also the price point is a lot higher than the original - although that was 13 years ago also. I do like the cockpit details though.
etcknight

Postby Andi » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:44 pm

Awesome! I sold my 7191 long ago and regretted this so much but just couldn't justify the high prices for it nowadays.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Flynn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:52 pm

I like that it's being released again, and certainly like that the old cockpit is back, but on the whole it's disappointing that the improvements from the original model are only minor. After 13 years I would've expected a bit more of an improvement.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Joedward » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:45 pm

I... I just.... OHMERGERD

This makes me so happy. I still have 7191, but it's currently not assembled. I'll buy this on day one. Can't wait.

...... I may buy two.

I'm aware it isn't perfect, but still, I'll take it
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby sterow » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:32 pm

I have the old model and have assumed for a while they'd revisit it. After all, the X-wing is the flagship of their line (there's basically always a system scale version in production) and the original was ages ago and could definitely be improved. The old model is great but has various issues where it's not up to the later UCS models, notably its very random approach to colours.

This looks to improve on the old model with regards to the stability of the engines (very flimsy on the old one; just about the flimsiest construction I've ever encountered on an official set in fact), colours, and much of the general detailing.

The old model I think may have slightly better proportions, but it's hard to tell. The wings on this look stubbier in the photos than the old one, but counting studs they seem the same length. The nose is slightly shorter. The overall engine shape and proportions are not as good this time IMO, though details and construction seem better as I said. It's tough to judge though - the jury will be out until it arrives. Many of these sets look better "in the flesh."

It looks like this new model will still suffer from the old set's drooping guns and, to a lesser extent, wings that sag and rotate forwards slightly from the weight of the guns. Both are very tough issues to resolve.

I think we're a fair way off a revisit of the UCS Falcon (since it's a much more recent model) but I wonder if the other older UCS models such as the Interceptor or Snowspeeder would be looked at. (In some cases I feel the system scale sets have closed the gap with those early UCS sets though - the system Blockade runner from a couple of years ago looks almost as good as the old UCS version, and I'd almost prefer a system revamp of the Interceptor to a redone UCS version).
sterow

Postby DarthBuilder » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:36 pm

Never having the cash flow for 7191 when it was available or even after for that matter. I am psyched for this set. Detail looks great the targeting computer is a nice touch. Just hoping the rear engines and bottom s foils aren't as droopy as the model pics above show.

Solo might agree with me here when I say LEGO blew an opportunity to offer a UCS R2-D2 minifig. Chrome top or maybe even a new dome only like they had for 10215 Obi-Wans Jedi Starfighter. I don't know may just be me. Far too early to complain I guess, can't wait for the build!
DarthBuilder

Postby lowlead » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:15 pm

DarthBuilder wrote:...Far too early to complain I guess, can't wait for the build!

I'm trying hard to be optimistic, as this release is a big deal for some, but when a build involves immediate mods to fix what I believe are glaring oversights, then optimism is tough.

I wasn't immediately wowed by the B-wing, but I gave it a chance, and really liked the set in the end. I'm having a hard time warming up to this one, however. The nose and tiny engines are terrible. Yes, I could fix them, but with the $200 price tag, I would prefer that I didn't feel the need to fix anything. This had such potential, too! Ah well.
lowlead

Postby sterow » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:22 pm

enigmapc wrote:Very nice! I looks like the mechanism to open the wings is enclosed behind the cockpit. Finally an x-wing without rubber bands. How did the wings work on the previous UCS x-wing model?

It had a gear mechanism inside the fuselage that wound the wings open smoothly but slowly as you rotated the dish on the back. This seems much closer to the mechanism on the current system set.
sterow

Postby FallenJedi » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:45 am

Very excited to get this model. Never had a chance to get the original UCS. Still would like to see a UCS Nebulon B. I think the UCS SSD illustrates that Lego can pull off capital ships of that scale. In my opinion, the Nebulon B is the most glaring gap in the Lego SW line-up.
FallenJedi

Postby CaptainFordo » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:49 am

lowlead wrote:Neat.

Except...am I the ONLY one who still thinks the engine nacelles look stunted and way out of proportion???

With respect to the engine size, I was looking forward to something more like this....

...and what's up with the big trench down the middle of the nose? Meh, whatever, glad other collectors can get in on it. I'll wait for a sale.

I thought they looked ok until I saw that side shot... the engine cynlinders should be taller than the main shaft of the X-Wing; the fact they're lower makes it look weird with the s-foils closed.. =S
CaptainFordo

Next

Return to Star Wars