Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Creator Toy Fair Report

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

LEGO Creator Toy Fair Report

Postby Staff » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:39 pm

31012 Family House 1

There aren't that many Creator sets to show for the fall, only three to be exact. And much like the more recent sets, the house sets include at least one minifig. The great thing about these Creator sets that are based on houses, is that it provides a great suburban-type of playset/environment compared to the more urban buildings in the modular series, or the dollhouse-type fire and police stations. You can actually make a neighborhood. If only LEGO City would catch on and make things like gas stations, or post offices, or cafes, or any other hundreds of types of buildings you'd find in a, you know.... CITY.

Click through each box image to go their set.

31010 Treehouse 1
31011 Aviation Adventures 6

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/02/12/lego-creator-toy-fair-report/
Staff

Re: LEGO Creator Toy Fair Report

Postby kibosh » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:31 am

Looking at sets strictly from the standpoint of, "What can I build with those part?", the creator sets more and more are becoming my sets of choice. Even if the models themselves aren't that great, the parts selections are fantastic.
Check out my daily Lego picture at alegoaday.com.
kibosh

Postby jonutah » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:31 am

I really think the Creator line is the hidden gem of all of Lego's products because of the reuse factor. More and more the minifigures steel the show in the model-based sets (LOTR, Hobbit, Star Wars, and so on) with the models being pretty boring, in my humble opinion. I do wish, at a minimum, Lego still suggested other things you can build with the set which at least suggested "using your imagination" to its target audience.

Now, I think it would be cool if you had creator-type sets for licensed-based themes. Like a set that had pieces to build at least three different models like a hobbit house, a Rivendell scene, and maybe a tower for Lord of the Rings, with a few figures. Make it 150.00 or something. That, to me, would be the ultimate combination of imagination and theme-based model building.

- Jon
jonutah

Postby sparkart » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:38 am

These new creator sets look pretty nifty! The treehouse really captures my imagination. I can imagine kids (and the young at heart) using the LEGO treehouse set for a super-secret base of operations for their play avatar minifigs. The Aviation Adventures set looks terrific - very nice model.

Is there really any such thing as a B-model for the licensed sets? Didn't one of the Star Destroyer models have an Outrider and Sky Hopper alternate instructions? I can't recall any other official LEGO B-model suggestions for a licensed set, but I'm no expert.

I remember when I was kid, I would OCD the primary model always, and then do the B-models, if they were cool. I like how these creator sets provide superior play value with their awesome B-model configurations.

I guess they're always Rebrickable.com for B-model ideas.
sparkart

Postby NickBrick » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:08 pm

Really looking forward to these. The first Creator house is what got me back in to Lego and I have picked up every house set since. Were prices announced? I am guess the family house will be $60 - $70 and the tree house to be $25 - $30
NickBrick

Postby mcs4616 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:43 pm

^ The Treehouse is $29.99 and The Family House is $69.99. They listed the prices in the Flickr albums.
mcs4616

Return to Original Themes