Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Faces New Allegations of Racism

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: LEGO Faces New Allegations of Racism

Postby that guy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:40 pm

Why is it nobody is standing up for the poor Rancor population that is being discriminated against??? I am here to say I will now start a new non-profit (as if this world needs another one) called POOR or People Opposing the Oppression or Rancors. Anyone else in??
that guy
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:04 am

Re: LEGO Faces New Allegations of Racism

Postby Rook » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:50 pm

Lame. Point the finger at Lucas. He's known for borrowing stuff from our Galaxy to insert into his galaxy.

If they want to really look at possible racism in Star Wars, they need not look any further than the "Jamaican" sounding Jedi Master Kit Fisto. Look I have tentacles on my head that look like dreadlocks; I must be from the Islands.

Yawn.

That's it Lucas you're going to have pay Turkey *insert Dr Evil voice* $1,000,000!
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook
 
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:51 am
Location: Ontario

Re: LEGO Faces New Allegations of Racism

Postby lego the hutt » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:33 pm

Rook wrote:Lame. Point the finger at Lucas. He's known for borrowing stuff from our Galaxy to insert into his galaxy.

If they want to really look at possible racism in Star Wars, they need not look any further than the "Jamaican" sounding Jedi Master Kit Fisto. Look I have tentacles on my head that look like dreadlocks; I must be from the Islands.

Yawn.


Interesting that you point that one out, I don't even remember him have lines. The obvious one in my mind is Nute Gunray...
lego the hutt
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:20 pm

Re: LEGO Faces New Allegations of Racism

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:24 pm

lego the hutt wrote:
Rook wrote:Lame. Point the finger at Lucas. He's known for borrowing stuff from our Galaxy to insert into his galaxy.

If they want to really look at possible racism in Star Wars, they need not look any further than the "Jamaican" sounding Jedi Master Kit Fisto. Look I have tentacles on my head that look like dreadlocks; I must be from the Islands.

Yawn.


Interesting that you point that one out, I don't even remember him have lines. The obvious one in my mind is Nute Gunray...


How about Jawas,Sandpeople,JarJar, and Watto :p
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks
 
Posts: 452
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:23 pm

Re: LEGO Faces New Allegations of Racism

Postby Flynn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:24 pm

Actually if you really want to get down into it Star Wars as a whole can be immensely uncomfortable when it comes to issues of race. Jar-Jar is the most obvious example (being drawn almost explicitly from the blackface minstrels of the 30s), but even the original films come under attack when you realize that almost all of the bad guys are foreigners of some kind- even the Imperial Officers are overwhelmingly British.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,


Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn
 
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:38 am

Re: LEGO Faces New Allegations of Racism

Postby SDIronClaw » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:57 pm

Flynn wrote:even the Imperial Officers are overwhelmingly British.


Really, I find that the officers talk and dress with German mannerisms. The Empire as a whole mimics the Nazi party. Black, Vader, White, Stormtroopers, and Red, Imperial Guards. The political similarity of wanting to establish world/universe dominance and etc.
"I find your lack of Lego disturbing."
SDIronClaw
 
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:46 pm
Location: Judland Waste

Re: LEGO Faces New Allegations of Racism

Postby Flynn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:48 pm

That was probably the intention, but it comes off as rather anti-European in general, rather than specifically Nazi (I mean, they don't talk in German accents, after all).

Really, the issue is that the films Star Wars pays homage too are rife in that sort of racism, and the films aren't aware enough to address or remove those issues. When the films are at their best, you get mildly uncomfortable stuff like the Empire troops or the first major black character being untrustworthy, and at worst you get minstrel characters and evil Japanese businessmen clogging up your film (or the revelation that all the Separatist leaders are aliens obviously inspired by various nationalities, which was a casual bit in Attack of the Clones that I found much more disturbing than anything Phantom Menace had to offer).
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,


Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn
 
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:38 am

Re: LEGO Faces New Allegations of Racism

Postby Rook » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:41 am

I just love that even in the Star Wars Universe the guy at the top, is an evil old white guy. Somethings are the same in every universe. XD Wait was that stereotyping too!? :P
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook
 
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:51 am
Location: Ontario

Re: LEGO Faces New Allegations of Racism

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:22 am

Flynn wrote:That was probably the intention, but it comes off as rather anti-European in general, rather than specifically Nazi (I mean, they don't talk in German accents, after all).


Doesn't Leia start off with some sort of an attempt at an accent? Doesn't Mon Mothma have one? I just figured the accents were more the mark of "civilized" society, and the lack thereof was what you got on the wild fringes.
Mister Ed
 
Posts: 1155
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:18 pm

Re: LEGO Faces New Allegations of Racism

Postby Flynn » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:17 pm

Yeah, hence why it's a mild issue- it's deflated by the fact that there *are* non-Americans on the good side. Certainly the first two films are more complex on the whole race issue then any of the later ones- Star Wars even has the decency of following its evil Arab stereotypes with a somewhat clever bit on Droid prejudice.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,


Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn
 
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:38 am

Previous

Return to Star Wars

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 8 guests