Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Recreating expensive UCSset by purchasing individual pieces?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Recreating expensive UCSset by purchasing individual pie

Postby jmfbtb » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:42 pm

Boomers,

LDD can generate a parts list, but LDD Manager 3rd party software http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41993 will create a HTML version that can be uploaded directly to Brick Link. Very cool!

I plan to publish the LDD file and BrickLink parts list once I am finished with the build to Rebrickable. I do not want to upload just yet since I have had to make several changes due to parts availability. I want to make sure that everything works. The generated directions are in HTML format.

I did run into one problem. The inverted arch 1x5x4 does not exist in white even though it is a valid LDD part! Fortunately the upper arch does exist in white. I really like the look of the smooth curved radius, so I plan to paint a black arch white to match the existing bricks as close as possible. If it doesn't work out, I will go with the 45 degree slopes that David used. I had initially used the slopes, so I will most likely upload both LDD versions for anyone who does not want to mess with painting.

I am working right now on a wood board foundation. Once construction gets underway in earnest, I will start a new thread. So if you can wait a month or so, I should have what you need online to build from or modify.

Jeff
jmfbtb

Postby Ibiscribe » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:25 pm

Yes, LDD does give you instructions. Step-by-step video instructions, no less. It's pretty useful. It's true that LDD does list some part/color combinations that don't actually exist, as well as excluding some combinations that do exist*. It is a very useful tool... it just has a few quirks to be aware of.

*From what I've observed it seems like a lot of the parts it leaves out are things that aren't too common... for instance, it has the tall pointed roofs that come with the Hogwarts and Vampyre Castles in sand green and purple, but it doesn't have that same part in black. I really don't know that there's any way to justify it adding what are apparently nonexistent colors, though.
Ibiscribe

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:23 pm

Guys, if you want piece inventories, go here: http://www.bricklink.com//wantedSet.asp
If you want instructions, you can get a lot from lego.com, or here: http://www.brickfactory.info/

I forgot to mention that I also did the 6211 Star Destroyer. It's still hard to get the minifigs, though, especially if they're exclusive.
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby boomers » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:27 pm

@Jeff,
Do you know the size of the docking station (or how many studs x studs)? Just trying to plan ahead. :D

Thanks
Marc
boomers

Postby jmfbtb » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:48 pm

Boomers,

The back wall is 124 studs and the side is 112 studs. I ended up getting (6) 48x48 base plates and (4) 16x32 plates. I plan to cut off the excess once I finish the support table that will hold the lego and plexiglass. I can get you the exact dimensions of the table once it is done and verified good. I didn't go any larger then David's to keep the cost down on the plexiglass.

Jeff
jmfbtb

Postby jmfbtb » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:06 pm

I finished the table supporting the Docking Bay last night. I will be posting all future updates in the MOC forum:

http://www.fbtb.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8925

Jeff
jmfbtb

Postby rmoore » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:44 pm

Hi all, first post.

I, too, have begun collecting parts for building a UCS Millennium Falcon. What have I gotten myself into? :shock: I've wanted it since it came out but could never justify the $500, but looking back, I'd gladly pay that.

So I went to Bricklink and parted out the set. I had my wife paste that huge list into an excel sheet (I have no idea how to use excel... I'm an artist, haha). She modified it so I could keep track of how many of each part I have left to buy. Next, I went through all of my (and my son's) bins of Lego. I'm sure I cannibalized some of my old sets, but none of his. I came up with about 800 of the necessary parts this way.

Then, I hit up a local used toy store that lets you fill up a gallon-sized Ziploc bag from their dozens of Lego bins for $25. Got another 500 pieces out of that (and a fair number of the rare ones), and I will be going back.

All in all, my spreadsheet tells me I currently have 1339 pieces. The amount of sorting and indexing and then deleting items I have from Bricklink is ridiculous. The actual build of the ship is going to be child's play once I've finished collecting and sorting everything! But a quarter of the way there on $25 isn't too shabby, either. And I'm not going 100% on the exact colors; there's a good bit of expensive pieces in rare colors that I don't have to have. I'm not planning on reselling it anyway.

Finally, here's how I'm going about indexing everything. Don't know if it's the best way, but it was the best I could come up with:

rmoore

Postby murphquake » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:10 am

Welcome to FBTB rmoore! 25% done for $25 is awesome, good luck coming even close to that for the rest of it =-) Brickset's new functionality for parts lookup is a great tool and in a short time it's changed how a lot of us research parts, but it isn't as complete as Bricklink, and the part numbers and names AND colors are different and confusing, but the ones on Brickset are direct from LEGO, which is sweet! One thing you may consider doing to get you started is look up in the instructions the first sections of the build and focus on getting those parts up front. Not being able to go past step 32 of 544 because it's the last single part you can't find or are waiting for from Latvia would suck royally. Keep us all posted!
-bill
murphquake

Postby Prongstar » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:18 pm

I keep telling myself I'm not going to start collecting pieces for a UCS Falcon.

Swooshing my midi-scale Falcon helps dull the need... for now.

If I ever see awesome interior mods of the UCS though.. I'd rather not envision the damage to my bank account.
Prongstar

Postby rmoore » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:29 pm

Prongstar wrote:
If I ever see awesome interior mods of the UCS though.. I'd rather not envision the damage to my bank account.

Like these? :cool:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=339645
http://www.flickr.com/photos/marshal-ba ... 309088161/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fbtbnet/4878776806/
rmoore

Postby Andi » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:28 am

Awesome how you are able to recreate the UCS Falcon.
I'm tempted to do it as well.
One question: somewhere in this thread (I think) I read that from viewing the INV on Bricklink to getting the parts on the Wanted List would be one click. Can you tell me, how that works? I had a look but can't find a way.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby rmoore » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:19 am

Andi wrote:Awesome how you are able to recreate the UCS Falcon.
I'm tempted to do it as well.
One question: somewhere in this thread (I think) I read that from viewing the INV on Bricklink to getting the parts on the Wanted List would be one click. Can you tell me, how that works? I had a look but can't find a way.

Is this what you mean?

rmoore

Postby Draykov » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:25 am

"Part out", as indicated above, would do it. That will give you the option to part the set out into an existing wanted list or it will allow you to create a new one.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Andi » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:20 am

ahh, thank you!
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby rmoore » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:00 pm

For anyone who doesn't want to spend $180 or so on the display sticker, I rebuilt it from scratch in Photoshop. Print it out on a nice photo paper, and it should look pretty good.

http://i.imgur.com/zDZreXD.jpg
rmoore

Postby Shaggy21uk » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:18 am

Hi

I'm new here, and after reading this thread, I decided I wanted to try my hand at this. As cool as the Falcon is, I've always wanted the Darth Maul bust (set 10018)

So that's what I set out to do.

I managed to get all the bricks over a few weeks, from bricklink/ebay and I only had to sub 4pcs. They were the black cylinders which form a stand on the base. If I wanted them in black they were about £19 each but I subbed them red and got them for about £0.56 each instead, which I was over the moon with.

Overall I got it for about £130-140 so I'm not sure how good I did, but I do think I could get this cost down if I were to do it again, especially now I've learned a few things about buying on bricklink.

If anyone is interested in pics after I've finished, I'd be more than happy to post.

Now for the long wait for all the pieces to turn up!!!
Shaggy21uk

Postby legoicecreamclone » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:07 pm

I have heard about bricklinking a 10179 before...
Must be a trend
and an expensive one at that :shock:
legoicecreamclone

Postby rmoore » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:41 pm

legoicecreamclone wrote:I have heard about bricklinking a 10179 before...
Must be a trend
and an expensive one at that :shock:

Not too bad so far; I'm at 2800 pieces now and I've only spent about $150.
rmoore

Postby neim343 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:05 pm

A little bump, but I recently finished bricklinkng the UCS Falcon also. I managed to pull a lot of parts from
my own inventory and substituted on interior color pieces. All said I was able to do it for under $400, so it can be done
on a smaller budget...

neim343

Postby Andi » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:55 am

How did you connect the Falcon to the wall? That looks cool.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars