Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Star Trek Director To Take On Star Wars

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Star Trek Director To Take On Star Wars

Postby Staff » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:09 pm

JJ Abrams To Direct Star Wars VII

After JJ Abrams seemingly denied a desire to direct the next Star Wars installment back in November:

“Star Wars is one of my favourite movies of all time. I frankly feel that - I almost feel that, in a weird way, the opportunity for whomever it is to direct that movie, it comes with the burden of being that kind of iconic movie and series.”

He added, “I was never a big Star Trek fan growing up, so for me, working on Star Trek didn't have any of that, you know, almost fatal sacrilege, and so, I am looking forward more than anyone to the next iterations of Star Wars, but I believe I will be going as a paying moviegoer!”

It seems the man behind the popular (depending on who you ask) Star Trek reboot (that also depends on who you ask) will take on the daunting task of attempting to please the other side of the obsessive sci-fi fandom "VS" coin. Good Luck JJ!

J.J. Abrams will direct the next "Star Wars" film for Disney, taking stewardship of one of Hollywood's most iconic and lucrative film franchises, an individual with knowledge of the production told TheWrap.

Ever since Disney bought Lucasfilm last year and announced it would make new "Star Wars" films, fans, members of the media and industry executives have speculated about which director would take the job. Abrams' name always came up, but he told Entertainment Weekly in November that he wasn't going to take the job.

He did say "Star Wars" was the first movie that "blew my mind" in terms of special effects.

Lucasfilm Chief Kathleen Kennedy has been courting Abrams, one of the most successful directors and producers in Hollywood -- and a man beloved by fanboys. He runs one of the industry's top production companies, Bad Robot, and created or co-created television franchises like "Lost," "Fringe" and "Alias." He has also directed film spectacles "Mission: Impossible III," "Star Trek" and "Super 8."

The lure of the Jedi was too strong, and it will no doubt complicate his relationship with Paramount, where Bad Robot is a top supplier. Abrams has been feverishly working on "Star Trek Into Darkness," his second Star Trek film since he rebooted the franchise in 2009. "Into Darkness," still in post-production, opens May 18.

Though he has several producing jobs in front of him, Abrams had been uncommitted as a director. He will have to jump right into "Star Wars," which Disney has slated for a 2015 release. "Little Miss Sunshine" screenwriter Michael Arndt is penning the script.

Reached by TheWrap, Lynne Hale, spokeswoman for Lucasfilm, declined to comment immediately. Neither CAA, which represents Abrams, nor Bad Robot immediately responded to requests for comment.

To quote the man in charge, "I'm not sure how I feel about this". I think it needs time to sink in...
I'll say this, it gives me a perverse joy to post a Star Trek related picture here.
I have stenz to thank for that. Trek Wars!

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/01/24/star-trek-director-to-take-on-star-wars/
Staff

Re: Star Trek Director To Take On Star Wars

Postby sparkart » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:05 pm

Ha-ha! World's collide, Jerry!

I'm off to make one or both with these with LEGO:

I think the Force will be with Mr. Abrams.
sparkart

Postby GrayMattR » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:19 pm

Somewhere, Sheldon Cooper's head just exploded.
GrayMattR

Postby Firespray » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:34 pm

I approve.
Firespray

Postby UOldPirate » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:58 pm

Cue the Ep III Vader voice: Nooooooooooooooo..... lens flare! :)
UOldPirate

Postby scotth510 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:49 pm

Ha Ha, love the Vader. I hope he does it justice.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotth510/
http://www.youtube.com/user/scotth510
scotth510

Postby Draykov » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:22 am

For those not thrilled by the news, this may offer some solace...it didn't really for me, but I'm torn between "fool me once..." and "it...coULD...WORK!"

Why JJ Abrams Is A Good Choice For STAR WARS EPISODE VII
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Flynn » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:34 pm

[Empire Strikes Back] is incident after incident, strung together in a really satisfying way, but without much of a throughline.

That's...not really true at all.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby The Phantom Menace » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:50 pm

Seems like Disney are going for the popularist approach, by getting a team together that "geeks" would approve of. Trying not to develop any resentment before production.

I think someone best summed it up when they said what the film needs is someone like Irvin Kershner, predominantly an arthouse director, someone who would be interested in making a decent film, not someone interested in putting all of their "geekboy" fantasies on screen.

But who am I to say, Episode 7 was and is an appalling idea.
The Phantom Menace

Postby Mars Needs LEGO » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:07 pm

I have less of a problem with the idea of Episode VII: The Lens Flares Strike Back than with his attempt at making a Star Trek film. I still intend to see Lens Flare Into Darkness, but my expectations are appropriately low.

If Abrams can control his tendency to flare every light source in sight and his apparent need to integrate a large red sphere into the narrative, then he might have a good SW movie in him.
Mars Needs LEGO

Re: PICS 75018 Jek-14 Stealth Starfighter and 75019 AT-TE

Postby thepatient » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:15 pm

Sounds cool to me. I really enjoyed the JJA version of Star Trek, and i'm looking forward to the next one. If he can do the same for Star Wars, I'm all for it.

If he thought Trekkies were a tough challenge, he's really in for the Mega Challenge with Star Wars fans. I wish him the best of luck. I don't want to judge at this stage of the game.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Return to Star Wars