Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

The Empire Strikes Out On DVD

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Postby DarthBuilder » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:22 am

Info for LEGO Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Out's DVD release has arrived and as expected it will include an exclusive figure from the cartoon, a new Darth Vader with his Award. I won't go into what the medal is for because I'm guessing there are still some who haven't seen it yet. Walmart already has it up for preorder at a whopping eight bucks, shipping on the 26th of March in the US. DarthBuilder has noted in the forum release dates of March 28th for the UK and April 3rd for France. Padawan Menace came out as a Blu Ray/DVD combo pack, but this seems to strictly be a DVD. I hate it when the packaging is inconsistent.

LEGO® STAR WARS®: The Empire Strikes Out™ Animated Special Arrives on DVD

Packed with Humor, Action and Fun – and an Exclusive Darth Vader LEGO Minifigure!

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (January 22, 2013) – After a record breaking debut on Cartoon Network, The LEGO Group and Lucasfilm announced today that LEGO® Star Wars™: The Empire Strikes Out will release on DVD this coming March 26, 2013. The 22-minute original standalone special will bring the same tongue-and-cheek humor fans know and love in a brand new epic adventure featuring everyone’s favorite LEGO Star Wars characters. Distributed by Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, the DVD will include an exclusive collectible Darth Vader LEGO minifigure and is available now for preorder at www.foxconnect.com/awesome.

Filled with charm, action and irreverent humor this original story features characters, locations and vehicles across the entire LEGO Star Wars universe including Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, C-3P0, R2-D2, Darth Maul, and more. When the premiere of LEGO Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Out aired on Cartoon Network, it became the number-one telecast of the day with kids ages 6-11 and boys ages 2-17. Written by Emmy Award winner Michael Price (The Simpsons), the show features many of the beloved Star Wars voice-actors fans know and love including Anthony Daniels, Sam Witwer, Ahmed Best and more.

SYNOPSIS:

HOLD ON TO YOUR BRICKS….FOR AN ALL-NEW ANIMATED ADVENTURE!

Your favorite characters are back to save the galaxy in LEGO® Star Wars®: The Empire Strikes Out™. The heroes of the Rebel Alliance including heroic Luke Skywalker, swaggering Han Solo and steadfast Princess Leia have no time to celebrate their victory over the Empire as a new Imperial threat arises. But as Jedi-in training Luke embarks on this next mission, he discovers that his celebrity status as a “Death-Star-Blower-Upper” can be a double-edged lightsaber when he’s constantly mobbed by crazed fans. So much for secret missions! Meanwhile, Darth Vader and Darth Maul are locked in a hilarious “Sith-ling” rivalry as they compete for the Emperor’s approval. It’s an action-packed comic adventure that’s out of this world!

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/01/22/the-empire-strikes-out-on-dvd/
DarthBuilder

Re: Empire Strikes Out on DVD, dates?

Postby UOldPirate » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:48 am

Nice find! I didn't see the cartoon, but is there are reason why they would do a Darth Vader with Medal fig with this release? Does Vader win some award in the cartoon? If they are doing this to stay in line with the Ceremonial Luke & Han figs, I would think a Ceremonial Chewbacca would make more sense. He definitely deserves it.
UOldPirate

Postby lego the hutt » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:25 am

UOldPirate wrote:Does Vader win some award in the cartoon?

Yes, Darth with medal is in the cartoon.
lego the hutt

Postby Staff » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:47 pm

Info for LEGO Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Out's DVD release has arrived and as expected it will include an exclusive figure from the cartoon, a new Darth Vader with his Award. I won't go into what the medal is for because I'm guessing there are still some who haven't seen it yet. Walmart already has it up for preorder at a whopping eight bucks, shipping on the 26th of March in the US. DarthBuilder has noted in the forum release dates of March 28th for the UK and April 3rd for France. Padawan Menace came out as a Blu Ray/DVD combo pack, but this seems to strictly be a DVD. I hate it when the packaging is inconsistent.

LEGO® STAR WARS®: The Empire Strikes Out™ Animated Special Arrives on DVD

Packed with Humor, Action and Fun – and an Exclusive Darth Vader LEGO Minifigure!

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (January 22, 2013) – After a record breaking debut on Cartoon Network, The LEGO Group and Lucasfilm announced today that LEGO® Star Wars™: The Empire Strikes Out will release on DVD this coming March 26, 2013. The 22-minute original standalone special will bring the same tongue-and-cheek humor fans know and love in a brand new epic adventure featuring everyone’s favorite LEGO Star Wars characters. Distributed by Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, the DVD will include an exclusive collectible Darth Vader LEGO minifigure and is available now for preorder at www.foxconnect.com/awesome.

Filled with charm, action and irreverent humor this original story features characters, locations and vehicles across the entire LEGO Star Wars universe including Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, C-3P0, R2-D2, Darth Maul, and more. When the premiere of LEGO Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Out aired on Cartoon Network, it became the number-one telecast of the day with kids ages 6-11 and boys ages 2-17. Written by Emmy Award winner Michael Price (The Simpsons), the show features many of the beloved Star Wars voice-actors fans know and love including Anthony Daniels, Sam Witwer, Ahmed Best and more.

SYNOPSIS:

HOLD ON TO YOUR BRICKS….FOR AN ALL-NEW ANIMATED ADVENTURE!

Your favorite characters are back to save the galaxy in LEGO® Star Wars®: The Empire Strikes Out™. The heroes of the Rebel Alliance including heroic Luke Skywalker, swaggering Han Solo and steadfast Princess Leia have no time to celebrate their victory over the Empire as a new Imperial threat arises. But as Jedi-in training Luke embarks on this next mission, he discovers that his celebrity status as a “Death-Star-Blower-Upper” can be a double-edged lightsaber when he’s constantly mobbed by crazed fans. So much for secret missions! Meanwhile, Darth Vader and Darth Maul are locked in a hilarious “Sith-ling” rivalry as they compete for the Emperor’s approval. It’s an action-packed comic adventure that’s out of this world!

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/01/22/the-empire-strikes-out-on-dvd/
Staff

Postby UOldPirate » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:34 pm

lego the hutt wrote:
UOldPirate wrote:Does Vader win some award in the cartoon?

Yes, Darth with medal is in the cartoon.

Thanks. I might actually watch this one just to find out the medal is all about.
UOldPirate

Re: The Empire Strikes Out On DVD

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:53 pm

No Blu-ray this time?!?! Major fail right there...
The_Chosen_1

Postby Zrath » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:03 pm

The_Chosen_1 wrote:No Blu-ray this time?!?! Major fail right there...

I agree! These CGI cartoons look really stunning in Blu-ray!
I'm hoping a Blu-ray/DVD combo-pack will be announced later.
Zrath

Postby gomek » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:51 pm

This would have been a no for me at $16 but at $8 it will be hard to pass up.

I don't own Padawan Menace (as I have a distaste for new SW) so the different packaging doesn't mean much to me, but I can see that would be extremely annoying for those who do, and those who have Bluray. Personally, I think it's just so Lego can sell it again in a couple years on Bluray.
gomek

Postby buriedbybricks » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:26 pm

I wonder if it's because the Bru Ray did poorly so they figure DVD is good enough. Most strictly kid focused media comes out on DVD only. Padawan Menace seemed to sit around for quite some time and most copies ended up being sent back at my stores. It will probably end up being the only Blu Ray I have for some time longer.

I still have no interest in making the switch.
buriedbybricks

Postby Ultron32 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:47 pm

How did I know this would be the fig? I I guessed it when I saw the cartoon. I just didn't expect a printed medal...
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby murphquake » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:53 pm

It was actually a fun little episode... might be on SW or Cartoon websites, if not there's torrents of it out there... that's how i watched it. I think people are on the wrong track with the Ceremonial Han/Luke connection... those came with books... the last DVD came with IAN! errrrr... Young Han Solo... who was the main character of the episode... this one comes with Pleather Pants. I'm excited... Gotta Have It! I'm Tweakin! I'm Tweakin! I'm Tweakin!
murphquake

Postby sparkart » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:30 pm

Huh, never was really interested in the LEGO minifig media or games, but I just watched it. Much better than I thought it would be, with some genuinely funny pop-culture references that only the older generation would get.

Lots of reasons to go with DVD-only, e.g. there aren't a lot of Blu-ray players in cars, but there are plenty of portable DVD players and laptops that can play DVDs. Kids aren't generally that picky about the quality of video either.

Why're we expecting a printed medal? Didn't the recent Olympic figures introduce the perfect medal element? With that medal element, you can give almost anyone in the Star Wars galaxy a medal, except for Chewie. Some things never change!
sparkart

Postby Gooker1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:25 am

Ugh...agreeing w/ those who are miffed this isn't on BR. :( I'll still buy it though. rofl.
Gooker1

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:36 am

Gooker1 wrote:Ugh...agreeing w/ those who are miffed this isn't on BR. :( I'll still buy it though. rofl.

On the flipside, I was miffed that I couldn't get the last one on plain DVD. I've no interest in Blu-Ray (and the majority of households join me in not having one) so I can never figure out why it gets pushed so heavily.

If it was available in a DVD only version, I never saw it.
Mister Ed

Postby buriedbybricks » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:30 pm

Mister Ed wrote:I was miffed that I couldn't get the last one on plain DVD.

If it was available in a DVD only version, I never saw it.

Ditto, but on the upside I was able to loan the BR to a friend for his kids over an extended period and not worry about my boy wanting to watch it.

It was combo only.
buriedbybricks

Postby sparkart » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:55 am

Man, have you priced Vader minifigs on Bricklink lately? There's several flavors of Vader, but they're typically around eight dollares americano, as of today. Might as well order this, get the movie AND the figure for eight bones.
sparkart

Postby DarthBuilder » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:29 pm

Get with the program Amazon, $13.48?

Still would prefer this to be available on Blu-Ray but Vader is Vader, and $8 is easier to swallow.
DarthBuilder

Postby batsamd » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:34 pm

Yeah, I just preordered a copy for myself today.

I would've preferred a blu-ray/DVD combo set like Padawan Menace and the LEGO Batman Movie, especially since Padawan Menace was $9-$10 for the combo and this is only $1 cheaper for DVD only, but DVD quality is good enough for me.

Wonder what extra features it will have?
batsamd

Postby DarthBuilder » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:50 pm

Amazon has now matched Walmart. Now $7.96........and ordered.
DarthBuilder

Postby nyjpapi » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:26 am

Looks like DVD it is. I received this email from LEGO regarding the release of the movie:

Thanks for getting in touch with us regarding the release of the LEGO® Star Wars™: Empire Strikes Back movie.

It is great to hear you are excited about this new movie that will be releasing soon! As of right now, the movie is only being released in DVD format and can be preordered from various stores. We apologize for any disappointment that may cause.

However, you never know what could happen in the future! It is certainly possible for the movie to be released in Blu-Ray or in a combo pack later in the year! Keep your eyes peeled, just in case!

We hope you enjoy this fantastic new LEGO movie!

Thanks again for getting in touch. We're always pleased to receive feedback from LEGO fans! If you could take a moment to complete a four question survey by going to the link below, it will help us make sure we are providing the best customer service to you.

http://www.econsumeraffairs.com/lsi/ens ... 032764403A

Please let us know if you need anything else.

Happy building!

Megan
LEGO Consumer Services
nyjpapi

Return to Star Wars