Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Review: 6866 Wolverine's Chopper Showdown

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

Review: 6866 Wolverine's Chopper Showdown

Postby Staff » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:34 pm


3 - 6866 Set Overview


I think I'm safe in saying that behind Spider-man the X-men have been Marvel's most popular (and profitable) property over time, so it was no surprise that the only other non-Avengers set was X-centric. With a multitude of X-titles to choose from and nearly a hundred different characters who've been part of the core X-team alone at one time or another, it must have been really difficult to choose who would headline this set...


1 - 6866 Box Front2 - 6866 Box Back


Just kidding. I'd have been shocked if the first X-set didn't at least include Logan if not revolve around him and Magneto is the highest profile X-villain, so that's a no brainer too. The only real wild card in this set was Deadpool. He's a fanboy favourite to be sure, but he is an odd choice for this set. He's a fun guy and things are usually more interesting when he's in the mix, but it's a bit akin to including the Punisher in the only Spider-man set available. While the merc with a mouth isn't a "kid friendly" character, that's not a bad thing for the older crowd and I think it actually opens the door for future edgy characters like Punisher and perhaps even Carnage. No, nevermind. That last one's probably not happening.


4 - 6866 Figs Equipped6 - 6866 Figs Back
5 - 6866 Figs Front7 - 6866 Alt Faces


At first look these are primo figs with some nifty unique faces and nice torso prints that are well worth the price of the set in my opinion, but they do have a couple of minor issues. I'm more than willing to overlook them, but they are worth mentioning in any case. Firstly, Magneto's helmet is fantastic, but it makes his standard face print look like a worried old man instead of a confident revolutionary. The biggest problem is the fact the Wolverine's hairpiece doesn't come down far enough to cover the printing of his alternate face. Honestly, I don't think I even really care, but it could possibly be an issue in the positioning and photography of an MOC and I figure it will probably really bug some folks. Deadpool is just plain awesome. He told me so. Wait... your Deadpool fig talks to you too, right? Forget I said anything.


8 - Logan's Chopper


The secondary build in this set is the smaller of the two "choppers", Wolvie's vintage motorcycle. Ok, so calling it a build is a bit of a stretch. Pop the top and bottom together, snap on the wheels, slap on a 1x1 trans-clear round stud for a headlight and Voila! Again, don't get me wrong, this is a rare bike to begin with and this is the only set where it comes in light bley. I will say I question it being listed as light bluish grey. It seems to fit somewhere in between that and pearl light grey to me, but again I don't really care because it's a nice bike and a welcome addition to my collection. I mentioned how this style of bike would have been more appropriate for the Captain America's Avenging Cycle set when I did that review, but it works equally well for Wolverine here too.


9 - Deadpool's Chopper Front10 - 6866 Deadpool's Chopper Back


The meat and potatoes of the set is the other chopper. The one piloted by Deadpool on the cover engaging Wolverine in some sort of mexican standoff with Magneto, or I guess those two are working together... for some reason. Either way, I think this set was influenced by the ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE X-men Origins: Wolverine movie and the helicopter scene that made it into all the trailers for that eyesore. I really liked the look of this chopper when the set first appeared, which was nice because at the time the only set in the Marvel line that didn't do it for me was the Loki's Big Blue Truck Escape set (I still got it strictly for parts and to satiate my inner completist).


11 - Side. Top Down12 - Side. Top Up
13 - Missile Launcher Straight14 -  Missile Launcher Fully Pivoted


It's very well built and I like the design, but it just feels like something is lacking everytime I play with it. One thing that really bothers me about the design, is the big open storage area behind the cockpit. They made no handle for a minifig to grasp as he hangs half out of the compartment and that's not good because there's no way for a minifigure to stand up in the space. You can have them leaning out as though they were peeking up front or you can sit them down in there, but standing is pretty much out of the question. Also, getting the fig in there is kind of a pain. It could just be that my fingers are too big and my son's hand-eye co-ordination isn't fine-tuned enough, but it was kind of a PITA. I ended up taking the roof off to put figs in there, but I don't think that's the intention of the design based on the way the cabins and cockpits are usually accessed and the fact the you're removing the entire rotor assembly in doing so.


15 - Sword Storage16 - Watch Your Head


I'm not a fan of the designer's solution for the storage of Deadpool's swords while he pilots the chopper, but it could be worse. Also, the inclusion of dual tail rotors threw me off, but it was a hit with my son and I have a thing for part symmetry. Two _____ are better than one, right? On the plus side, the colour scheme is great and it's quite a nice assortment of parts that would make for a pretty good draft, assuming you could ever find enough of this set on the cheap. Good luck with that. The only real play feature, other than the general play that comes with any LEGO helicopter, is the pivoting flick-fire missile launchers on either side. It has a very limited pivot range which is not a big deal, but it tends to shift the dark red cheese slope that limits its turning radius as you can see in the above picture . Overall, it's a solid build in construction and design if a wee bit dull. It can be difficult packing play features into these smaller $20-ish sets, but I think the Shelob Attacks and the new Spider Cycle Chase (which I will review next) sets did a better job with this balance.


Showdown!


What I Liked:

  • Nice assortment of exclusive figures that pretty much nail each character.

  • Love the bike and hope we get it in a couple more colours.

  • Helicopter is a nice little build and a good parts pack.

  • Deadpool was a pleasant surprise from the moment it was announced he would appear.


What I didn't Like:

  • The chopper has some design flaws that could have kicked it up a notch if they'd been fixed.

  • Wolverine's hairpiece doesn't cover his alternate face.

  • The solution they used for storing Deadpool's swords is just silly.

  • It just makes me want more X-men.



Vedict: I bought two. Three if you count the one I put away for my son. I got a BOGO deal and looking at the selection of sets in this price range at the time it was an easy descision to stock up. I wanted to get an extra of each of these figures just in case they don't show up in any sets again. Luckily, the set itself is strong enough for me to warrant buying a second one without it just being about the figures. In the end though, I think the figures in this set are actually overshadowing the build and in that case I can only think of two good reasons you wouldn't want this set; you don't like the X-men, or you've already got twenty different LEGO helicopters. If you're Ok with owning another (pretty nice) chopper and you're an X-fan then you really should pick this set up, Bub.



Buy 6866 Wolverine's Chopper Showdown from LEGO Shop@Home:





---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/01/19/review-6866-wolverines-chopper-showdown/
Staff
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Review: 6866 Wolverine's Chopper Showdown

Postby Ultron32 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:09 am

I actually think they would be more likely to make Carnage then Punisher. Especially now that they did Venom.


Anyway, I heard that MARVEL was just (and has been) really trying to push deadpool as a character. I think partly because of his upcoming movie (even though that makes no sense, what kid is gonna go see deadpool?). So maye that was made for the adults.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:47 am

Re: Review: 6866 Wolverine's Chopper Showdown

Postby buriedbybricks » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:40 am

I think if Marvel/Disney was going to include a sociopathic serial killer in one of the LEGO sets, they'd chose the one who DOESN'T slaughter innocents just for kicks. That being said, if they continue down the story arc with Venom they could include Carnage in some watered down version akin to the symbiote soldiers Osborne wants to create. If they can't find a way to include him in the show, I doubt it will ever happen.

As for pushing Deadpool, I've seen or heard nothing to back that up. If they wanted to push him, they'd merchandise and he'd have his own animated movie by now instead of the smallest Weapon X cameo in Hulk Vs. Marvel will be doing much less to promote movies not made in house as they made it clear that thier long term goal is to bring all characters back under thier umbrella. Marvel was not pleased with Deadpool's portrayal on-screen, so I doubt they'll support this next outing with much more than a miniseries. If it even happens...
buriedbybricks
 
Posts: 766
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:41 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: Review: 6866 Wolverine's Chopper Showdown

Postby MrCRskater » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:20 am

Nice review. The helicopter is really a great little model and, as you pointed out, a great parts pack. And the figs are AWESOME! I was so stoked to get Wolvie, and Magneto is also excellent. The Deadpool character doesn't mean much to me, but the minifig is a fantastic figure. It's impossible to tell which of the three is my favorite.

Y'know, these $20 heroes sets have been really stellar. The Lex Luthor set was highly praised, this set is great, the new Spidey Motorcycle Chase and Batman on Ice sets are both awesome (LOVE the flick-fires on the bat boat!). Here's hoping the trend continues.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 677
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:44 am

Re: Review: 6866 Wolverine's Chopper Showdown

Postby gomek » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:13 pm

If all the sets were like this one.. 3 nice non-repeat figures and a nice set, I would be very broke and Lego would have a lot more of my money. I own three of these sets.

A set with Daredevil, Punisher and Ghost Rider for $20 would be fantastic. And all three have been in multiple movies, so seems like a no-brainer.
gomek
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Review: 6866 Wolverine's Chopper Showdown

Postby CaptainFordo » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:53 am

buriedbybricks wrote:I think if Marvel/Disney was going to include a sociopathic serial killer in one of the LEGO sets, they'd chose the one who DOESN'T slaughter innocents just for kicks. That being said, if they continue down the story arc with Venom they could include Carnage in some watered down version akin to the symbiote soldiers Osborne wants to create. If they can't find a way to include him in the show, I doubt it will ever happen.

As for pushing Deadpool, I've seen or heard nothing to back that up. If they wanted to push him, they'd merchandise and he'd have his own animated movie by now instead of the smallest Weapon X cameo in Hulk Vs. Marvel will be doing much less to promote movies not made in house as they made it clear that thier long term goal is to bring all characters back under thier umbrella. Marvel was not pleased with Deadpool's portrayal on-screen, so I doubt they'll support this next outing with much more than a miniseries. If it even happens...


Why are people thinking Carnage will never see a set release? Have you seen half the **** The Joker has done over the years? He's as bad as Carnage, if not worse. If your argument is that there are toned down versions of The Joker seen in some of the animated series, the same is equally true of Carnage. If Carnage doesn't get a release it won't be because of his character content.

Also Marvel is pushing Deadpool like you wouldn't believe, I think you're seriously underestimating just how popular Deadpool has become lately. Any game with multiple characters in: he's there, he's getting his own game this coming year and he's featured in a number of different comics. He's not had his own animated series because it would either not be kid friendly, or it would be toned down to the point that fans of the character wouldn't like it. The fact Deadpool was even IN Hulk vs. is a testament to his popularity, I don't think he was a necessary inclusion and he had much more than a brief cameo in it. I'd say he's probably the most popular Marvel character who's not 'top tier' like the main Avengers, Spider-man or some of the X-men.

No matter the reason, his inclusion in this set is a VERY smart move by Lego, since he's a character I don't think anyone would've expected to see, but one that is highly sought after.

Edit: for the record I'm not some crazed Deadpool fanboy :P he's far from one of my top 10 characters, though he is neat, but I just wanted to make a point that many people in the comic community are almost getting a little sick with how much exposure he's getting at the moment =P so it's fair to say he's basically teetering on the edge between 'popular with the general public' and 'cult favourite'.
CaptainFordo
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:42 am

Re: Review: 6866 Wolverine's Chopper Showdown

Postby buriedbybricks » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:25 pm

CaptainFordo wrote:Why are people thinking Carnage will never see a set release? Have you seen half the **** The Joker has done over the years? He's as bad as Carnage, if not worse. If your argument is that there are toned down versions of The Joker seen in some of the animated series, the same is equally true of Carnage. If Carnage doesn't get a release it won't be because of his character content.

Also Marvel is pushing Deadpool like you wouldn't believe, I think you're seriously underestimating just how popular Deadpool has become lately. Any game with multiple characters in: he's there, he's getting his own game this coming year and he's featured in a number of different comics. He's not had his own animated series because it would either not be kid friendly, or it would be toned down to the point that fans of the character wouldn't like it. The fact Deadpool was even IN Hulk vs. is a testament to his popularity, I don't think he was a necessary inclusion and he had much more than a brief cameo in it. I'd say he's probably the most popular Marvel character who's not 'top tier' like the main Avengers, Spider-man or some of the X-men.

No matter the reason, his inclusion in this set is a VERY smart move by Lego, since he's a character I don't think anyone would've expected to see, but one that is highly sought after.

Edit: for the record I'm not some crazed Deadpool fanboy :P he's far from one of my top 10 characters, though he is neat, but I just wanted to make a point that many people in the comic community are almost getting a little sick with how much exposure he's getting at the moment =P so it's fair to say he's basically teetering on the edge between 'popular with the general public' and 'cult favourite'.


The Spider-man sets are based on the Ultimate Spider-man cartoon, so if Carnage doesn't show up there he won't show up until they base sets on some other Spidey property period. If he does show up in the cartoon, it'll be watered down. Period.

As for Deadpool, I'm well aware of how popular Deadpool is and where he's showing up. I'm getting one of the two titles he's in and am well aware of the upcoming game. I also said animated movie, not series and would consider the 5 minutes of an 80 minute feature he's on screen (and it was a necessary inclusion since he was one of only two villains ACTUALLY IN the Weapon X program, but unwarranted in the fact that he's utterly useless in the role) a guest appearence at best.

Two titles, a game and a movie that can't get off the ground do not amount to the company "pushing" Deadpool. If anything, I'd say they aren't even filling the basic demand and I've heard more than once in recent years that "half the time, we don't know what to do with the guy".

If the movie gets made or the game is insanely popular, he MIGHT break out to mainstream, otherwise he's a cult favourite. No teetering to it.
buriedbybricks
 
Posts: 766
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:41 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: Review: 6866 Wolverine's Chopper Showdown

Postby CaptainFordo » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:34 pm

buriedbybricks wrote:
CaptainFordo wrote:Why are people thinking Carnage will never see a set release? Have you seen half the **** The Joker has done over the years? He's as bad as Carnage, if not worse. If your argument is that there are toned down versions of The Joker seen in some of the animated series, the same is equally true of Carnage. If Carnage doesn't get a release it won't be because of his character content.

Also Marvel is pushing Deadpool like you wouldn't believe, I think you're seriously underestimating just how popular Deadpool has become lately. Any game with multiple characters in: he's there, he's getting his own game this coming year and he's featured in a number of different comics. He's not had his own animated series because it would either not be kid friendly, or it would be toned down to the point that fans of the character wouldn't like it. The fact Deadpool was even IN Hulk vs. is a testament to his popularity, I don't think he was a necessary inclusion and he had much more than a brief cameo in it. I'd say he's probably the most popular Marvel character who's not 'top tier' like the main Avengers, Spider-man or some of the X-men.

No matter the reason, his inclusion in this set is a VERY smart move by Lego, since he's a character I don't think anyone would've expected to see, but one that is highly sought after.

Edit: for the record I'm not some crazed Deadpool fanboy :P he's far from one of my top 10 characters, though he is neat, but I just wanted to make a point that many people in the comic community are almost getting a little sick with how much exposure he's getting at the moment =P so it's fair to say he's basically teetering on the edge between 'popular with the general public' and 'cult favourite'.


The Spider-man sets are based on the Ultimate Spider-man cartoon, so if Carnage doesn't show up there he won't show up until they base sets on some other Spidey property period. If he does show up in the cartoon, it'll be watered down. Period.

As for Deadpool, I'm well aware of how popular Deadpool is and where he's showing up. I'm getting one of the two titles he's in and am well aware of the upcoming game. I also said animated movie, not series and would consider the 5 minutes of an 80 minute feature he's on screen (and it was a necessary inclusion since he was one of only two villains ACTUALLY IN the Weapon X program, but unwarranted in the fact that he's utterly useless in the role) a guest appearence at best.

Two titles, a game and a movie that can't get off the ground do not amount to the company "pushing" Deadpool. If anything, I'd say they aren't even filling the basic demand and I've heard more than once in recent years that "half the time, we don't know what to do with the guy".

If the movie gets made or the game is insanely popular, he MIGHT break out to mainstream, otherwise he's a cult favourite. No teetering to it.


I never said Carnage wouldn't be watered down, but some posters here seem to be acting like there's zero chance he'll appear at all =S

R.e. an animated movie, Marvel's hardly pushing anything in animated movies, they're nowhere near as prolific with such features as DC are and none of their films have been especially mature, so my point still stands that a Deadpool animated feature would be watered down too.

He might not be being pushed in the way Avengers are but the fact he's even getting a solo game despite no movie proves that Marvel wants him to get a bit more publicity. How many Marvel characters have comic book-based (i.e. not movie tie-ins) games that aren't Spider-man, X-men or Hulk?
CaptainFordo
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:42 am

Re: Review: 6866 Wolverine's Chopper Showdown

Postby buriedbybricks » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:53 pm

CaptainFordo wrote:I never said Carnage wouldn't be watered down, but some posters here seem to be acting like there's zero chance he'll appear at all =S

He might not be being pushed in the way Avengers are but the fact he's even getting a solo game despite no movie proves that Marvel wants him to get a bit more publicity.


If he's not in the cartoon the sets are based on, there's zero chance.

If a game company approaches a publisher about making a game based on their character, the first question is usually "Where's our cheque?" That's not Marvel pushing a character, it's Activision vying for a piece of the beat em up/shoot em up gaming pie, without having to create anything original. With a trail of craptastic games that have had no impact on comic sales, Marvel has nothing to lose in this equation.

Making a game based on a more obscure character is nothing new and certainly doesn't mean there's some big plan to push it to the forefront. It just means the companies are aware enough to see they cater to the same type of fan and figure there's a buck to be made putting peanut butter in their chocolate.

I'm sure fans of the Darkness thought those games were gonna make the character way more popular and everyone I talked to who liked the games and hadn't read the books had little interest in doing so. If you don't read comics, but love violent games... Marvel wins. If you don't play the games, but read the book... they already had you. If you love both, boom. Also, if the game blows, it won't impact comic sales and they already got paid. If the game is huge and it sends a few players to the comic racks, boom. There is no way for Marvel to not win. It's just a payday, how much depends on the fans and most likely will have little impact on Deadpool's profile.

If I start seeing Deadpool merch flooding the market, it'll make me think something's up and good for him.
buriedbybricks
 
Posts: 766
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:41 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: Review: 6866 Wolverine's Chopper Showdown

Postby CaptainFordo » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:36 am

buriedbybricks wrote:
CaptainFordo wrote:I never said Carnage wouldn't be watered down, but some posters here seem to be acting like there's zero chance he'll appear at all =S

He might not be being pushed in the way Avengers are but the fact he's even getting a solo game despite no movie proves that Marvel wants him to get a bit more publicity.


If he's not in the cartoon the sets are based on, there's zero chance.

If a game company approaches a publisher about making a game based on their character, the first question is usually "Where's our cheque?" That's not Marvel pushing a character, it's Activision vying for a piece of the beat em up/shoot em up gaming pie, without having to create anything original. With a trail of craptastic games that have had no impact on comic sales, Marvel has nothing to lose in this equation.

Making a game based on a more obscure character is nothing new and certainly doesn't mean there's some big plan to push it to the forefront. It just means the companies are aware enough to see they cater to the same type of fan and figure there's a buck to be made putting peanut butter in their chocolate.

I'm sure fans of the Darkness thought those games were gonna make the character way more popular and everyone I talked to who liked the games and hadn't read the books had little interest in doing so. If you don't read comics, but love violent games... Marvel wins. If you don't play the games, but read the book... they already had you. If you love both, boom. Also, if the game blows, it won't impact comic sales and they already got paid. If the game is huge and it sends a few players to the comic racks, boom. There is no way for Marvel to not win. It's just a payday, how much depends on the fans and most likely will have little impact on Deadpool's profile.

If I start seeing Deadpool merch flooding the market, it'll make me think something's up and good for him.


R.E. Carnage. Well that's not what people were saying. I agree that's probably the case, but they were saying he will be excluded because of his character, not because he's not in the show. If they had used that reasoning I would've agreed.
CaptainFordo
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:42 am

Re: Review: 6866 Wolverine's Chopper Showdown

Postby buriedbybricks » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:07 am

Really? Because I SPECIFICALLY alluded to that in this very paragraph you first quoted. So I'm not sure what other people you're talking about.

buriedbybricks wrote:I think if Marvel/Disney was going to include a sociopathic serial killer in one of the LEGO sets, they'd chose the one who DOESN'T slaughter innocents just for kicks. That being said, if they continue down the story arc with Venom they could include Carnage in some watered down version akin to the symbiote soldiers Osborne wants to create. If they can't find a way to include him in the show, I doubt it will ever happen.



And I still believe his character WILL play a part in any descision.
buriedbybricks
 
Posts: 766
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:41 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: Review: 6866 Wolverine's Chopper Showdown

Postby CaptainFordo » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:21 am

buriedbybricks wrote:Really? Because I SPECIFICALLY alluded to that in this very paragraph you first quoted. So I'm not sure what other people you're talking about.

buriedbybricks wrote:I think if Marvel/Disney was going to include a sociopathic serial killer in one of the LEGO sets, they'd chose the one who DOESN'T slaughter innocents just for kicks. That being said, if they continue down the story arc with Venom they could include Carnage in some watered down version akin to the symbiote soldiers Osborne wants to create. If they can't find a way to include him in the show, I doubt it will ever happen.



And I still believe his character WILL play a part in any descision.


My mistake, I must've missed that.
CaptainFordo
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:42 am


Return to Reviews

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests