Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Announcing Palpatine's Shrink-O-Matic Ray Contest

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: Announcing Palpatine's Shrink-O-Matic Ray Contest

Postby Jake's Oy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:52 am

Solo wrote:Rules:
- Build a star wars vehicle, starfighter, or capital ship in microfig scale.
- If the normal vehicle has an enclosed cockpit, your micro vehicle must have an enclosed cockpit. If the normal vehicle does not have an enclosed cockpit, your microfig vehicle should not have an enclosed cockpit.

Question on scale. Lego mini figs usually aren't to scale to there ships and it gets worse the bigger the ship. For example the midi scale falcon I believe would be to small for it to be scaled to micro fig size. It would almost need to be twice as big.

If some one builds a Corellian Corvette, lego's 10198 Tantive IV comes close to microscale.

http://deckplans.00sf.com/Marincic/Marincic.html

Is that the size you have in mind for these figs? Because if you build a star destroyer or frigate it gets worse. This thing is huge http://mocpages.com/moc.php/175408 and I don't think it meets the rule requirements. Basically for cap ships are you looking for a bridge to be able to handle 16-20 officers? Or is it ok to just build a small cap ship and have a micro fig fit into it some where?
Jake's Oy

Postby onions » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:29 am

build small; you can exaggerate the cockpit. it doesn't have to be perfectly in scale to a microfig. nothing in the star wars theme is perfectly in scale to a minifig anyway besides the UCS Falcon, and even that will generate scale debates. the idea is we're going for small ship, enclosed cockpits, microfig pilots.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby sparkart » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:58 am

Yeah, I think small and somewhat chibi is a good idea. I'm making an AT-ST, that'll fit two microfigs, e.g. two Imperial pilots or Chewbacca and a couple of three plate high "Ewoks". It's a bit cartoonish with it's giant kangaroo feet, but I was adamant about coming up with a way for it to stand without a cheat or helper support, so the feet and ankles came out big.
sparkart

Postby captain sambuca » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:39 pm

Good work contest setters, good work.

It's got me thinking of possibilities already, but I fear that life may well get in the way of this one. So it goes.

I'm looking forward to seeing all that FBTB creativity and resourcefulness and hopefully just a little bit of geinus.

Actually, i'd also rather like to see everyone's take on Palpatine's Shrinkomatic Weapon itself. Now there's a contest!

Good work everyone. It's nice to read what always seems to happen: you guys set a seemingly watertight set of rules up and then there's about a million questions and quibbles and propositions and meanderings! I love it!

Looking forward to following this one closely. Play well builders, play well
captain sambuca

Postby Mister Ed » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:42 pm

I should definitely try to enter this one. I like the more modest scope, and the fact that I already have most everything in the prize packages means that I can lessen the pressure of the dreams of how awesome it would be to win. ;)
Mister Ed

Postby Ultron32 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:16 pm

itchybreath wrote:deathstar for the win!

But you'd need to make one the size of the set! :P
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby daevster » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:18 pm

DanBinks wrote:I got inspired and made a (chibi) Starspeeder 3000 from Star Tours, but since it does not appear in an actual Star Wars movie, do I need to consider making something else?

Regardless if it's eligible or not, I'd love to see your Starspeeder design!
http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/83288
http://www.youtube.com/user/daevster

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome..." -Walter Elias Disney
daevster

Postby 44448a » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:56 pm

Im in! Already halfway through making my one!
44448a

Postby Solo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:01 pm

DanBinks wrote:I got inspired and made a (chibi) Starspeeder 3000 from Star Tours, but since it does not appear in an actual Star Wars movie, do I need to consider making something else?

Almost missed that. Yes, pick something else.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby crazybirdman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:37 pm

So no vehicles that are droids? Man droids get no respect! XD
crazybirdman

Postby sparkart » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:22 am

Droids, huh? I'm reminded that Mace Windu hijacked a Vulture Droid during the Battle of Coruscant, and flew it around pretty effectively in battle.
sparkart

Postby Solo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:13 am

No pilot = no good. Droids do not count as vehicles even if they are large enough to be ridden. Think of them as mechanical creatures.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby kjklock » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:53 pm

I just completed my entry: Luke's Landspeeder. Below are my 2 official photos, but I have more available for viewing on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/91975687@N ... 474558686/

LEGO Landspeeder by KJKlock, on Flickr

LEGO Landspeeder by KJKlock, on Flickr
Last edited by kjklock on Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kjklock

Postby bartosza6m » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:16 am

My Naboo Starfighter is almost ready :cool:
bartosza6m

Postby Blackninjatom » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:06 am

So I'm assuming no modified parts applies to flex tube also?
Blackninjatom

Postby Solo » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:23 am

Of course.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby captain sambuca » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:45 pm

Well, here's what I've come up with.

Microfig Speeder Bike by captain sambuca, on Flickr

Yes, that's right: a speeder bike. I believe the official name is a 74Z speeder bike, but I'm sure someone will put me right if otherwise.
As usual with these these things, my photography skills aren't quite up to the job here, and this time aren't able to get across to you fellas just how amazingly swooshable this thing is. Boy, can this speeder Move!

In fact, I implore each and every one of you to build one for yourselves to see. Better still, I'll take one for the team: An imaginary pint to the man who replaces those spades with old-school fire-axes. That'd be Genius. Good luck to that man in this contest! But hey ho. I can't find any myself, so those spades are good enough. We make do. So it goes.

Anyway, at thirteen pieces, you'd be crackers not to have a go.

13 pieces by captain sambuca, on Flickr

Thanks FBTB for once again coming up with a fresh and shiny contest that got stuck straight away right into my brain.

Play well!
captain sambuca

Postby Trooper10 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:31 pm

My entry is a Tie Fighter at roughly microfig scale. More pictures including comparison to official TLG minifig scale Tie on my flickr (http://flic.kr/s/aHsjDyrP8u). I was going for a look in line with the official model (most recent version) but at this new scale.

Microfig scale Tie Fighter by Trooper10.0, on Flickr

Microfig scale Tie Fighter by Trooper10.0, on Flickr

Thanks for another fun competition guys! :)
Trooper10

Postby sparkart » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:48 pm

While the Empire doesn't consider a small one-man fighter to be any threat, this tiny TIE looks like it could easily fly through a small thermal exhaust port, right below the main port. Nice job! It looks like a perfectly shrunken version of 9492.
sparkart

Postby Jake's Oy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:57 pm

Very cool trooper10 :)
Jake's Oy

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds