Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO CUUSOO Announces 21103 Back to the Future Time Machine

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

LEGO CUUSOO Announces 21103 Back to the Future Time Machine

Postby Staff » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:50 am

I woke up late today. Anyways, LEGO CUUSOO posted their announcement video about an hour ago and the newest CUUSOO product will be 21103 Back to the Future Time Machine. No on-sale date or other item details have been released. I expect that information to come out sometime in January. The builders behind the project have decided to donate the 1% royalty they would have gained to the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research. How awesome is that?

My mind is officially blown. And you thought the Minecraft set was hard to get...
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/12/20/lego-cuusoo-announces-21103-back-to-the-future-time-machine/
Staff

Re: LEGO CUUSOO Announces 21103 Back to the Future Time Mach

Postby hassmyster » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:16 am

OMG!!! I am pumped for this one, this is going to be so awesome. BTTF lego set is going to rock.
hassmyster

Postby JohnGreenArt » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:25 am

This is very cool. Still, sad that the Western Town is a victim of timing. If it wasn't for the Lone Ranger sets coming up, would it have gotten the green light?
JohnGreenArt

Postby Mofo Jones » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:46 am

Yeah, I'll definitely be buying this one - I've been a BTTF fan since 85. :)
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby SapphirePhoenix » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:53 am

EEEEEEEEPIC! :D
SapphirePhoenix

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:58 am

Oh my GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of all of the sets, this was the one I thought for sure wouldn't be made, but it was the one that I wanted to see the most! Amazing! This just made my week!
The_Chosen_1

Postby Abeverage » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:15 am

JohnGreenArt wrote:This is very cool. Still, sad that the Western Town is a victim of timing. If it wasn't for the Lone Ranger sets coming up, would it have gotten the green light?

I have to agree 100% there. Someone did an I JUST LOST MY MIND comment on CUUSOO cursing them for canceling the Modular Western set.

I am betting we might see this worked into the (semi)evergreen western series in the future however.
Abeverage

Postby banthafodder » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:16 am

To be honest I am disappointed with this. While I know many are excited by the results I'm meh on this one. In the bigger picture I don't know if this bodes well for larger projects. All of the Cuusoo sets have been small/ medium sized sets. I really don't think that the Lone Ranger had much to do with the western towns rejection but I think it was based on the size and production constraints to get it out by summer. If it were a liscense issue than we probably wouldn't be getting new castle sets with Hobbit sets out. Also the Eve was rejected which was a larger set. The point that I'm getting at here is that I am really hoping for the UCS sandcrawler but my hopes are fading with these recent results and feel that in the next round it will be the Mars rover which seems to be more in the size and scale they are looking at. That would be a great set but the sandcrawler and jawa could pick it up and sell it for parts. Let's go sandcrawler.
banthafodder

Postby bigospedros » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:18 am

Sounds great, I'll probably get this assuming the final model is decent enough.

I didn't know about the 1% commission thing for Cuusoo ... it's a nice touch that they're donating it. It would've been a nicer touch if Lego themselves had sacrificed a bit of their profit margin to bump that up a bit more though.
Last edited by bigospedros on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:26 am

bigospedros wrote:It would've been a nicer tough if Lego themselves had sacrificed a bit of their profit margin to bump that up a bit more though.

Agreed. It would be a great way to market the product if it was something like 5-10% of the proceeds being donated.
The_Chosen_1

Postby JamesBenjamin » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:46 am

Does anyone have a link to the original model so I can take a look at it?
We are such stuff as manure is made of, so let's drink up and forget it... -Eugiene O'Neill
JamesBenjamin

Postby wegj » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:56 am

This made my day!
WEGJ –keep creating!
http://BRICKSTORMS.com Custom Models and Minifigs
wegj

Postby Firespray » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:21 am

Firespray

Postby mooslug » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:26 am

More info on the approval process and reasons against acceptance of the other 3:
http://legocuusoo.posterous.com/

In summary:

Eve Online ship - Smaller audience than the other candidates
Western Town - license conflict with Lone Ranger
Legend of Zelda - many new molds made it too expensive
mooslug

Postby JohnSB » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:02 am

Is this a competition now? Those in each review having to battle each other for one to be chosen as best? This sucks if so. This means prepare next round for a Mars rover and no sand crawler (too big), no portals (too many new molds?). I don't care much for a delorean. It didn't look all that different from tons of other cars we've gotten so far. All that is different is its a official delorean. woopie. Not that exciting as a builder.
The eve Rifter was nice even having not played the game before. It would of been nice to have gotten a more modestly designed ship that was not star wars. Zelda is not surprising, but would of made for good figures I would have bought.
The western town could of happened. The Saloon could of been to Lone Rangers as the Haunted House was to Monster Fighters. With a limited run on sets and keeping to molds already in use I do not see how this set could not of happened. A little more explanation would be nice.
Not really excited anymore about Cuusoo. I think I'm done putting any effort to get nice looking sets voted up.
JohnSB

Postby bkthomson » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:27 am

ok, so while I'm excited to see this and want it I wonder how does CUUSOO deal with a licensed product as BTTF?
bkthomson

Postby onions » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:56 am

JohnSB wrote:Is this a competition now? Those in each review having to battle each other for one to be chosen as best? This sucks if so. This means prepare next round for a Mars rover and no sand crawler (too big), no portals (too many new molds?). I don't care much for a delorean. It didn't look all that different from tons of other cars we've gotten so far. All that is different is its a official delorean. woopie. Not that exciting as a builder.
The eve Rifter was nice even having not played the game before. It would of been nice to have gotten a more modestly designed ship that was not star wars. Zelda is not surprising, but would of made for good figures I would have bought.
The western town could of happened. The Saloon could of been to Lone Rangers as the Haunted House was to Monster Fighters. With a limited run on sets and keeping to molds already in use I do not see how this set could not of happened. A little more explanation would be nice.
Not really excited anymore about Cuusoo. I think I'm done putting any effort to get nice looking sets voted up.

i don't think the western modular buildings was disapproved solely based on the lone ranger theme. you have to keep in mind that the project wasn't just a building, it was a whole system of buildings which more or less defines a whole new theme, and that isn't what cuusoo is about. it's about one-off products that fans want to see. and then once a project reaches the support it needs to enter review phase, lego still has to consider its economic feasibility. just because a project gets supported doesn't mean lego is under any obligation to produce the set. it has to make sense for everyone.

sure it's disappointing to think that we won't get the sandcrawler, but i'd rather have cuusoo do one or two cool things than not have it around at all.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:03 pm

Well said, Onions. As much as it sucks for collectors, I can perfectly see why LEGO has decided to pass on the Western Modulars with the new 'Lone Ranger' theme in the works.
The_Chosen_1

Postby Brainslugged » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:21 pm

I don't understand how Cuusoo works for sets that were probably already on Lego's radar despite them being submitted by people. For example, while that sandcrawler is absolutely incredible, surely Lego will at some point make a UCS version with or without Cuusoo. If and when they do, would they have to give the creator of the existing one 1% of the proceeds? There's only a finite number of potential Star Wars UCS sets that can be made, and I bet they've all been submitted on Cuusoo. I do hope they bring out a Sandcrawler at some point as it could be an awesome $500 set, and would make a change from the predominantly grey bricks of all the previous UCS models.
Brainslugged

Postby Solo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:25 pm

bkthomson wrote:ok, so while I'm excited to see this and want it I wonder how does CUUSOO deal with a licensed product as BTTF?

They contact the license holder and work it out.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Next

Return to Licensed Themes