Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Contest ideas

We are always interested in improving our community. Got an idea? Let us hear it!

Contest ideas

Postby captain sambuca » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:38 pm

i love your contests FBTB; even when I can't enter they get me thinking! anyway. Here's some contest ideas for the rest of you to think about...

What about bringing it back to star wars by creating a speeder bike for a particular character?

Or what about a parts-limited contest: creating some advent calendar style models?

Or what about some miniland scale figures?

Or how about recreating a famous vehicle from tv/movieland into a star wars vehicle- you know, like the general lee as a land speeder, or the a team's van as an AT AT.

What about mashing up iconic lego town sets with a star wars theme... a star wars fire station, or a star wars post van or whatever.

How about creating some fantasy deleted scenes diaromas?

What about "the secrets of the cantina"

What about a disney/star wars miniland mash up: pinnochio be wan kenobi, dumbo ba fett, that sort of thing?

What about "the rooms we never see in the death star"?

What about dioramas about star wars characters visiting planet earth?

There we go: ten ideas. Anyone got anything better?
captain sambuca

Contest idea...

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:04 pm

I know a lot of folks are wanting to get back to Star Wars themed contests, and I understand that, but I thought I'd throw an idea out there that occurred to me while doing Christmas shopping.

I realized that the sets I end up giving as gifts most often are Creator sets, where you get instructions for multiple models. And I thought it might be an interesting building challenge to try to make a "Creator"-type set. Set a limit on the total number of pieces, and you have to make three builds from the same pieces.

Of course, on further thought, it occurs to me that such a contest would be very, very hard to "police" if people were inclined to fudge the rules, so maybe that wouldn't work.
Mister Ed

Re: Contest idea...

Postby Solo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:57 pm

Doesn't really fit the type of contests we do, everything we run is related to a licensed theme. And you can't just take that and go "well then it'll be a Star Wars Creator set!" because I said it first.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby onions » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:03 pm

our next contest will have us returning to our roots
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Chief » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:52 pm

Gardening!
Chief

Postby captain sambuca » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:39 am

Well Mr Ed, I applaud you: the mention of one idea, and after three days it's already a thread!

I'm still gutted that despite 106 views or whatever, my ten ridiculous/genius/wacky/half baked (delete where applicable) star wars based contest ideas in the "suggestions" section has failed to generate a single reply. I guess i must be doing something wrong. I keep checking every now and again: but no one seems to have been interested! ah well. We're all busy.

Glad to hear the next contest is back to what we're all here for. As the mighty Groove Armada once noted, "You can cut your split ends, but you can't cut your roots." Quality.

Merry Christmas builders, Merry Christmas.
captain sambuca

Postby naugem » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:44 am

Hadn't even noticed there was a Suggestions section :p

And I'm glad we're getting back to SW contests.
naugem

Re: Contest ideas

Postby Solo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:17 pm

Totally missed your post sambuca so I merged Ed's with it. Let me just be clear to everyone, it's unlikely that we'll openly say if we've decided to use any ideas you give us until we launch a contest based on one (we don't want to give anyone an unfair advantage by revealing the challenge ahead of time), but we are open to suggestions. We're pretty well stocked up with our own plans though so don't be offended if you don't get any replies. Also I'm not surprised the shotgun approach didn't get any discussion. I only replied to Ed's because he put some thought into it and I felt like crushing his dream. ;)
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby captain sambuca » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:18 pm

Good work Solo. Nice merging.

don't be mistaken though: just because there were ten ideas rather than one, it doesn't mean any one of those ten were the product of less than "some thought"!

Also: silence can crush a dream just as soon as the unfaltering voice of reality!

Here's to the thinker uppers and the christmas shoppers and the contest setters. and bah humbug to any would be cheaters wanting to get ahead. Mind you: if anyone does build anything, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who would love to see it....
captain sambuca

Postby naugem » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:22 pm

A few ideas that come to mind:

- A land vehicle (Tank or Walker)

- A gunship that can carry up to X soldiers

- A battlepack (with 4 figures and a limited number of pieces)
naugem

Postby WillyWampa » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:54 am

I got to thinking about this idea a while back when I was wondering if the Star Wars sets would have been as popular if they had been released back when the original movies were in the theaters. Mainly due to the lack of the many specialized pieces that are a main component of most current sets.

So the idea for the contest would be to build any StarWars vehicle or scene using only the LEGO elements that existed the year the movie premiered. It could be modified to accept modern minifigs, but with classically built vehicles.

Cheers,
WillyWampa

Postby captain sambuca » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:39 pm

WillyWampa wrote:
So the idea for the contest would be to build any StarWars vehicle or scene using only the LEGO elements that existed the year the movie premiered. It could be modified to accept modern minifigs, but with classically built vehicles.

Cheers,

Great shout willywampa! wish i'd thought of that one! a tough one to marshall, but a great challenge for any builder.

Great shout
captain sambuca

Postby naugem » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:45 pm

Didn't want to start a new thread just to ask this, so I'll just ask here: any contest coming soon?
naugem

Postby crazybirdman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:20 pm

how about a bathroom for one of the licensed themes? It could be it's own set, or attach to an existing set? Everything from the Hobbit's outhouse to Wayne Mansions bidet might make an appearance.
crazybirdman

Return to Suggestions