Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

2 Problems with old sets

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

2 Problems with old sets

Postby klausunion » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:27 am

Hi all,

I was dusting off my old sets today and noticed a couple problems. I was wondering if anyone knows how to avoid them:

1. Stickers: I found that some of the stickers had started to come off. When I tried to push the corners back on, the stickers crumbled. The only way I can think to avoid this is to just not put the stickers on. Any other ideas?

2. Rubber Bands: Every single black rubber band has pretty much crumbled. I figure next time i get a set with rubber bands, i'll just use regular rubber bands instead of the black ones, but has anyone had this problem?
klausunion

Re: 2 Problems with old sets

Postby Artizan » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:38 am

1.that's why people hate stickers.
2.that's why people hate rubber bands :p though, only the black rubber bands seem to dissolve, i suggest you use white or red ones(they're very durable).
Artizan

Postby BigBenKenobi » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:37 am

For the stickers problem, there's not much you can do besides not put them on when you build your set. However, I have found that my sets with stickers have held up better very well over the years. But then again, I do protect my sets really well in furniture in my room with closing doors. Therefore, there is no sunlight, a controled climate, and little dust. Also, one of the worst things you can do is try to put the stickers back...I'd think at least.

With your question concerning the rubber bands, my X-wings, B-wing, and ARC-170 sets have held up well with the rubber bands...they all have white rubber bands, and they work just as if they were new. If you have some problems, I'd suggest getting some white ones, or not puting the rubber bands on unless you need them.
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
BigBenKenobi

Postby dWhisper » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:45 am

I haven't seen that problem with old stickers, unless they were applied to a surface that was dusty and dirty in the first place. I just broke down a couple of sets (AT-TE and an A-Wing) and the stickers were fine. That being said, I suppose if they did more than sit on display, they'd be worse for wear, but I do have a few older sets where the printed bricks show wear and fading from use like that as well.

Rubber bands I've seen this with, and have just bought a bunch of extras on BL. The newer "glossy" bands don't seem to have this problem, just the old black ones.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby The Brain » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:58 pm

I've noticed both of these problems as well. There's not really anything you can do about the rubber bands, because the black ones are crap. If you want to replace them, use some spare white/red ones as BigBen suggested.

And the stickers on my original AT-TE are crumbling and to the point where they'll be gone soon too. I don't think playing with the set affects it too much (as I did when I was young), just so long as your carefully not to abrade the stickers. If you didn't apply them really well on a clean, smooth surface, that could definitely contribute to their falling off. You also have to be careful that the stickers were applied evenly and with no creasing, or they will fall off very quickly. It's all about how careful you were with application--I have some sets displayed in the sun, on an open shelf (stupid, I know, but the only place I have left to store anything...), and the stickers on that are fine, just as good as the day they were applied several years ago.
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby Turkguy19 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:45 pm

Never had any stickers come off of my old MOCs, so it probably all depends on the environment you keep them in, the dryer the environment, probably the more likely they are to peal off. Rubber bands however, I have had crumble, but, that is typical of rubber in general. Without moisture, the rubber bands dry out, and crumble. What you can do is take them off, soak them in a bit of oil (cooking oil, or what have you), put a bit of moisture back into them, and reassemble. The rubber bands should last a bit longer. But, typically with me, instead of replacing the crumbled rubber bands I just use a bit of string or thread to tie the parts together.
Turkguy19

Postby Blondie-Wan » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:58 pm

Unlike apparently everyone else in the thread, I've had problems with rubber bands - official, LEGO-supplied elastic elements in sets - losing their elasticity and eventually deteriorating with darn near every color. The only way I've found to counteract it is to remove the bands so that they're not stretched out, it seems - if a band is left stretched out as part of a set's construction for any length of time, it seems to rot away.
:(
Blondie-Wan

Return to General LEGO Discussions