Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

75014 Battle of Hoth Revealed

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

75014 Battle of Hoth Revealed

Postby Staff » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:01 pm

75014 Battle of Hoth - 1
image courtesy of Hoth Bricks

French blog Hoth Bricks unveiled a new, previously unannounced LEGO Star Wars set for 2013, 75014 Battle of Hoth. The set features a newly designed snowspeeder (that's number four, kids), speederbike, tauntaun, gun turret, seven minifigs, and a brick-built probe droid. No word on pricing yet or availability yet but it smells like a TRU exclusive. As soon as we get more info, we'll share it.

75014 Battle of Hoth
image courtesy of Hoth Bricks

Thanks to Kez and Ultron32 for writing it in.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/11/27/75014-battle-of-hoth-revealed/
Staff

Re: 75014 Battle of Hoth Revealed

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:11 pm

I shudder to think what that will cost. There is so little there, yet with all those figs, and as a likely exclusive? I'll be surprised if it's under $55.
Mister Ed

Postby Zrath » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:18 pm

It's actually 6 minifigures. Luke Skywalker is shown twice in the bottom image, apparently to showcase both faces printed on his head. His gunner Dak is not included in the set, and if he was, he wouldn't be wielding a lightsaber. :D
Zrath

Postby SDIronClaw » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:13 pm

What the heck is that? Looks like a glorified BP. I'll buy it, but not impressed at. Very poor ingenuity IMO.
"I find your lack of Lego disturbing."
SDIronClaw

Postby Brainslugged » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:21 pm

My first instinct was "wow", but then I realized that there's a lot of crap there that isn't the snowspeeder or minifigs. The turret looks cool, but I feel like I'd already had way too many little pieces of snowy walls and white speederbikes. In my book, speederbikes are brown and are flown around forests. Maybe some of the interior of the snowspeeder's landing area would have been better.

And isn't this the 5th snowspeeder? I seem to think I've had four different ones and I missed out on the one that came with the white protocol droid. Gonna have to look it up now. I guess FBTB is probably more likely to be right.
Brainslugged

Postby DarthBuilder » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:28 pm

Mister Ed wrote:I shudder to think what that will cost. There is so little there, yet with all those figs, and as a likely exclusive? I'll be surprised if it's under $55.

Agree, nothing really new here, feel as though I have this set already. I will guess that if this is a TRU exclusive we're looking at $59.99.
DarthBuilder

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:35 pm

Brainslugged wrote:And isn't this the 5th snowspeeder? I seem to think I've had four different ones and I missed out on the one that came with the white protocol droid. Gonna have to look it up now. I guess FBTB is probably more likely to be right.

Are they saying it's the fourth snowspeeder, or the fourth design for the snowspeeder? I have the feeling that at least one of the snowspeeder releases we got was the same design, just packaged with different other stuff.
Mister Ed

Postby Brainslugged » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:38 pm

As I thought - 5th snowspeeder:

7130 - Snowspeeder (1999)
4500 - Rebel Snowspeeder (2004)
7666 - Hoth Rebel Base (2007)
8089 - Wampa Cave (2010)

I too feel like I already own this. It's tough though cos part of me wants new figures, but then part of me doesn't want Lego just changing figures cos then you end up with loads of mismatched troops. Just a shame there isn't anything in this set that seems new - other than that dude with the grey hair. I've always disliked the way the snowtroopers' helmets are attached to their packs. Plus their helmets come off really easily.

It'd be great if they brought out an AT-AT that was as good as the 2003 version. They knocked it out the park on their first attempt with that one.
Brainslugged

Postby lowlead » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:39 pm

:facepalm:

Heh, 75014 Battle Against the Re-Sellers would be a more appropriate set name...but who am I kidding? I'll still probably grab a couple - I'm a sucker for Hoth stuff.
lowlead

Postby zwolya » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:49 pm

Knew the Taun Taun wouldn't be a once-off mould. That being said, I still got plenty of them whenever Echo Base was on clearance, and feel I can skip this.
zwolya

Postby Mofo Jones » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:31 pm

zwolya, this will be the third set with the TaunTaun. It was included with that $90ish Hoth Base set that's out right now.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby Bellicose » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:41 pm

Funny how they've never tried to make the ion cannon part of Hoth base. The current planets would make an excellent cannon globe - just make it grey like the Death Star one - and stick a gun out the end of it like the gun from the Genosian set. The only trick would be the base mount for the cannon, it has to attach to or be inserted into something...

Anyway I'd hoped that was what we'd get with this set when I saw it being discussed a couple weeks back, but alas no, another snowspeeder and yet another Atgar cannon tower and more speeder bikes...
Bellicose

Postby lego the hutt » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:01 pm

This set was announced on the 20th on Hoth Bricks, though the pics are new. Nice to see those but I agree, it does look kind of like bits and pieces of other sets. The probe droid is nice though.

This is one of those that if I find at a deep sale price...35%+ I will probably pick it up, but if not I can live without, I'd rather have the forest moon of endor sets than hoth sets, and it seems like those are much more uncommon.
lego the hutt

Postby Athos » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:15 pm

I was hopeful that this might have been a cool set. I really like playlets, like Jabba's Palace and Cloud City, so this had potential in my mind. But all I have to say is: yawn...

Steve
Athos

Postby Flynn » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:43 pm

This may be a contender for most needless set ever.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Tricky Brick » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:59 pm

All I can do is echo the previous posts - the 2013 sets so far have been really disappointing with not a lot to look forward to until I saw the name of this set the other day. Then, seeing the photo my first thought was 'wow' but on closer inspection I realise this is pretty much what I've got on my Hoth shelf already - still that Snowspeeder looks the best yet and I'm such a sucker for Hoth that I'll buy it!
Tricky Brick

Postby bacon1986 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:19 am

Oh but guys, this is the first time they have made an ATGAR cannon with a flickfire missle!! That alone makes it soooo worth it.
Want to know how much your LEGO investment is worth?
Visit BrickPicker.com: LEGO Price and Investing Guide
bacon1986

Postby Blue Squadron » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:43 am

Needless...? Possibly but then there will always be a new generation who haven't got the previous versions of any given vehicle. I would argue that this set actually makes a good partner to the current Hoth base set.

The thing that surprises me the most is that no-one has yet commented on the fact that "the dude with the grey hair" is almost certainly General Rieekan -- and *that* would be something new and unique to this set!

I'm not suggesting that this alone justifies the set (he would have been more appropriately included in the Hoth base but there you go). I'm also fed up with Lego consistently using white speeder bikes as small "filler" vehicles to bulk out sets relating to Hoth; they were never in the original scenes and only later (and VERY briefly!) retconned into the updated versions!

I've seen worse sets but this one isn't the most inspiring. If that minifig IS General Rieekan (and I'm gurssing it must be) then look for him to pop up on eBay and BrickLink at crazy prices...!
Blue Squadron

Postby JohnGreenArt » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:56 am

They keep "redesigning" the snowspeeder and yet they've still never gotten the cockpit right. That is not what the windshield looks like on the ship. All the other details are such minor changes.

Nice to see a new probe droid. Doesn't look perfect, could be better depending on the angle, but it's definitely more accurate than the first probe droid they did.

Disappointed this comes with yet another snow speederbike (which aren't even in the movies--the Endor sets at least have an excuse), and also disappointed this didn't include either the ion cannon or shield generator.

I doesn't seem to introduce anything all that new. But that said, seems a decent Hoth set if you've missed out on all of the previous iterations.
JohnGreenArt

Postby bigospedros » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:15 am

Missed opportunity again ... why can't they deliver the Hoth Elements that we actually want ? I've already pretty much got every element offered here through other sets ...
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Next

Return to Star Wars