Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Galaxy Squad - First Look

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Re: Galaxy Squad - First Look

Postby ufjason » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:09 am

Multicolor space suits! Too bad they're spring pastel colors :(.
eBay store, contact me if you'd like to perform trades from my inventory. I'm looking for original genosian fighers, second version a-wing fighters and tie bombers. I may be interested in other sets so let me know what you have.
ufjason

Postby Draykov » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:08 am

Yeah...not sure what's going on with the green, but the blue seems to be more azure.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Daz Hoo » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:15 am

Draykov wrote:Yeah...not sure what's going on with the green, but the blue seems to be more azure.

I think the quality of the latest picture isn't all that good.

If you look at the picture of the box of the 70700 Space Swarmer, the robot's head and legs look like they are straight out blue. Given that it's the same robot represented in that last picture, I think it's safe to say that the colors in there are way to pale.
Daz Hoo

Postby Solo » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:45 am

I'll give you the blue, which looks like a continuation of the ADU figures, but red orange and green seem too primary to dismiss as pastels.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Flynn » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:47 pm

Anyone else think those robots look like really bad Mega Bloks Power Rangers or something?
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Draykov » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:00 pm

Daz Hoo wrote:If you look at the picture of the box of the 70700 Space Swarmer, the robot's head and legs look like they are straight out blue.

Could be, and I'd be pleased if you were right. But looking at images like this one or this one, when you compare the figure to the blue Technic pin, I'm not convinced just yet.

Flynn wrote:Anyone else think those robots look like really bad Mega Bloks Power Rangers or something?

I wouldn't go that far, but they're a little extreme for LEGO. I would sooner compare them to the Bionicle minifigs that showed up toward the end of that theme's run. The red and green robots in particular look pretty cool to me though.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby ufjason » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:33 pm

The robot head molds are better than the printed head pieces of old. Pretty surprised they have 3 different robot head molds as well. I'm kinda digging the armor with the snap on wings. All in all I'm pleasantly surprised. Decent concept, bug aliens vs allied space forces. They've got the cocoon gimmick which works really well, if you look closely they're both bottom pieces that snap together instead of a top and bottom. I like the green 4 wheeler and mech, blue fighter and red figure sets the most. The orange set is a pass for me, just something about the design and the jury is out on the blue 4 wheeler since the mantis thing looks pretty cool. I like that the red set has a good guy alien in it, a first for Lego.
eBay store, contact me if you'd like to perform trades from my inventory. I'm looking for original genosian fighers, second version a-wing fighters and tie bombers. I may be interested in other sets so let me know what you have.
ufjason

Postby Daz Hoo » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:07 am

Someone finally bought some of the Galaxy Squad sets and did a video review of them:

Bug Obliterator 70705: http://youtu.be/EMqJzVYJL4k

Space Swarmer 70700: http://youtu.be/q_Apjkb4QwA

Vermin Vaporizer 70704: http://youtu.be/_9OHVDByk6w

And you guys were right, it is the same pale blue as in the Alien Conquest sets. But, the other colors of spacesuits seem to be regular Green and Orange.
Daz Hoo

Postby ufjason » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:13 am

After watching the review I'm definitely passing on the Orange set, the gimmick does not impress me and I don't like the cockpits. The green as predicted is all kinds of awesome. The tiny one I'm neutral on but it looks like a neat little build. That kid needs to get an HD camcorder with image stabilization and/or a tripod! The little handheld ones are dirt cheap now.
ufjason

Postby Daz Hoo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:59 am

The 70704 (the green one) is a must have IMHO. It looks like an amazing set, even though I think a few modifications might be in order.

As for the 70705 (the orange one), I find it a bit pricey for the pieces count and number of minifigs, but I will certainly pick on up if I find it on sale. It looks like a nice play set, much like the Alien Conquest Earth Defence HQ.

As for the smaller kit, I guess it will also depend on the price tag. It's a nice set and the alien craft is quite nicely done, but if it is out of price, like the 70705, I will wait for it to go on sale.
Last edited by Daz Hoo on Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Daz Hoo

Postby Draykov » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:14 am

Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Jinx32 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:28 pm

They are now up for purchase on the Lego USA website. The vermin vaporizer photos weren't up yet, but you can add them all to your cart and buy them now.

J
Jinx32

Postby Draykov » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:57 am

Polybag shots revealed over at Brickset.

30230 Mini Mech

30231 Space Insectoid
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Bellicose » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:46 pm

These sets are cool, but they're a bit of a sticker nightmare. The stickers are the subpar clear kind too - so peeling them off the sheet pulls fingerprints from any touching of the sticky surface, and once on the piece you're placing them on there's no sliding the sticker around to get perfect alignment - it sticks to what it touches. If you peel back the sticker to line it up better it fogs over on the inside, and leaves a ton of residue on the brick...
Bellicose

Postby ufjason » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:10 pm

The $25 off $100 works with these sets at TRU as well as the hobbit sets. Not such a great deal with the TRU markup but it is a discount.
ufjason

Postby Draykov » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:46 am

Just in case anyone missed it, there were are preliminary shots on Flickr of the next wave of GS sets...presumably from a dealer catalog:

70706 Crater Creeper
70707 CLS-89 Eradicator Mech
70708 Hive Crawler
70709 Galactic Titan
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby ufjason » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:32 am

Saw those a while back, the pics were too small to make out but I'm glad this line is getting a second wave of sets. I picked up the interceptor and it was a satisfying build and a good value if you can get it on sale. Maybe I'll do a review tonight.
ufjason

Postby emmtwosix » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:11 pm

Bellicose wrote:These sets are cool, but they're a bit of a sticker nightmare. The stickers are the subpar clear kind too - so peeling them off the sheet pulls fingerprints from any touching of the sticky surface, and once on the piece you're placing them on there's no sliding the sticker around to get perfect alignment - it sticks to what it touches. If you peel back the sticker to line it up better it fogs over on the inside, and leaves a ton of residue on the brick...

I would almost bet the clear stickers last longer than the others, but you're right, they are a PAIN to get placed just how you want them (since you only get one shot to do it right.) Those and any sticker on a canopy. I just put an A-wing together and I didn't have the black stripes exactly centered, so when I went to pull it off, about half-way through the removal the glue started transferring to the canopy. >:(

More on topic, I wonder if they'll incorporate any of the galaxy patrol minifigs into galaxy squad?
emmtwosix

Postby ufjason » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:23 pm

What is Galaxy Patrol?
ufjason

Postby Draykov » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:59 pm

Hail Space!
Draykov

PreviousNext

Return to Original Themes