Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Target Discounts 9492 TIE Fighter

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

Target Discounts 9492 TIE Fighter

Postby Staff » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:40 am

Target.com has discounted the Empire's staple swarm fighter 9492 TIE Fighter down to a whopping low $34.99, down from MSRP of $54.99. That's a discount of over 35%, matching the best price we've seen on this set to date. Deal is good online only according to their website but you may be able to get lucky in-store as well. Use your Red Card for an additional 5% off and free shipping. Given enough time, Amazon may match the price so keep an eye out.

Target has also discounted their exclusive 9494 Anakin's Jedi Interceptor by 25%, down to an even $30. Deal is good both online and in-store. There's also a price mistake in their weekly flyer showing 7962 Anakin's & Sebulba's Podracers at the same price, $30, but ymmv on that one. Other sets on sale for $30 include Monster Fighters 9465 The Zombies and the discontinued Ninjago 9444 Cole’s Tread Assault.

Update: Amazon has now matched the price on the 9492 TIE Fighter.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/11/18/target-discounts-9492-tie-fighter/
Staff

Re: Target Discounts 9492 TIE Fighter

Postby Brainslugged » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:24 pm

gorram. I was at two different Targets this morning picking up Wii Us and hadn't seen the deal on the Lego sets at that point. Probably just as well - especially as I built the podracers yesterday after getting them on Amazon's lightning deal this week.
Brainslugged

Postby ufjason » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:59 pm

I was able to match the flyer at Walmart and TRU for the pod racer set. Walmart can afford it and TRU, simply put, pissed me off with two sets of rewards on a single sheet with different expiration dates. I was able to pick multiple price matched sets up at a single store as well so don't shy away from getting more than one.
eBay store, contact me if you'd like to perform trades from my inventory. I'm looking for original genosian fighers, second version a-wing fighters and tie bombers. I may be interested in other sets so let me know what you have.
ufjason

Postby lowlead » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:55 pm

Act fast at Walmart, as they are quickly disappearing at the fantastic $34.97 price. Checked 4 WMs today, only one had the TIE Fighter. Some stores didn't even have a shelf tag for it.
lowlead

Postby kibosh » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:31 pm

Even at $35, I can't get excited over this set. This is closer to what the MSRP SHOULD have been to begin with.
Check out my daily Lego picture at alegoaday.com.
kibosh

Postby Yodalicious » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:33 pm

Was able to get the price match at Walmart too on the Podracers. Great deal.
Yodalicious

Postby DarthBuilder » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:20 pm

As expected Amazon has this price matched.
DarthBuilder

Postby zhouston » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:50 pm

I lose sleep at night knowing I paid $55 at the lego store :(

but yes as other people have said they are at walmart for 35 as well, go get 'em!
zhouston
David

Postby DarthBuilder » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:15 pm

Looks like Amazon is out of stock, Target still has them as in stock.
DarthBuilder

Postby deco_droid » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:35 am

Wow, looks like Target is learning some "rip off the customer tricks" from the always EEEE-vil ToysRUs. Example -- Maul's Infiltrator is on sale for $46.55, which is down from the regular price of ---- oh, what's this, $48.99??? Gee, that's odd... I seem to recall a retail price of $69.99. So, hmmm, when I use my Target Redcard to get the extra 5% off, I'm only getting 5% off of $48.99 instead of 5% off $69.99. Small potatoes? Maybe, maybe not, depends on how big your order is -- for them though, they save a ton using this sort of sneaky tactic, changing the regular price during a sale. I thought only TRU did stuff like that...

There's several others -- the T-6 shuttle shows $39.89 from $41.99, instead of $59.99. the Podracer set sale is $66.50 from $69.99, instead of 89.99. Etc, etc... The thing is, yah, they can price how they like, but the venom spewed at TRU is a little misplaced when Target is doing their own price manipulations. I'm not saying the Target sale isn't good, but it's just not as good as it would have been if they hadn't played with the pricing.

Oh, one more thing, Target has the 10212 Imperial Shuttle on sale for $220, which is marked down from its actual true retail price of $259.99, so your redcard gets you an extra $13 off and free shipping, so $207 plus tax. Not a bad price to pick up an extra shuttle. You're welcome.
deco_droid

Postby kibosh » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:13 am

Why would they give you 5% off the MSRP on an item that is on sale. You should only get 5% off what you are actually paying. Am I missing something?
kibosh

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:19 am

kibosh wrote:Why would they give you 5% off the MSRP on an item that is on sale. You should only get 5% off what you are actually paying. Am I missing something?

That's what I would have assumed. I've never encountered ANYBODY that would figure the additional discount off the original price. An additional 5% (or 10%, or whatever) off is pretty much always off today's price.
Mister Ed

Postby ufjason » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:41 am

deco_droid wrote:Wow, looks like Target is learning some "rip off the customer tricks" from the always EEEE-vil ToysRUs. Example -- Maul's Infiltrator is on sale for $46.55, which is down from the regular price of ---- oh, what's this, $48.99??? Gee, that's odd... I seem to recall a retail price of $69.99. So, hmmm, when I use my Target Redcard to get the extra 5% off, I'm only getting 5% off of $48.99 instead of 5% off $69.99.

There's several others -- the T-6 shuttle shows $39.89 from $41.99, instead of $59.99. the Podracer set sale is $66.50 from $69.99, instead of 89.99. Etc, etc...

How are they playing with pricing? They have a "regular" price that is typically lower than msrp, in some cases $20 dollars lower! It's simply been marked down permanently and mind you that's pretty much on Target online only. Remember they paid a price for these that was based off msrp. Go to a Lego Store and tell me how much the T-6 Shuttle and the Infiltrator are? So Target runs a sale, you can't be angry when they are lowering their already low price even lower!

BTW, when you use your redcard, you still save an extra 5%. It's off the 46.55 sale price instead of the 48.99 Target "regular" price which is already bumped down from 69.99 msrp.

I don't mind if TRU, whom I continue to defend as the only free standing toy store in the US, marks up a set. 2-3 dollars from msrp, even 10 on the large ones isn't the worst thing in the world. What they've been doing during the holidays and sales weeks, however, is unacceptable.

My other gripes about TRU:
The inconsistency of what's excluded and how their site doesn't include items clearly not excluded.
The lack of stock on items during sales.
The lack of promotional items during sales.

I couldn't even get the $25 off $100 to work in store yesterday. The employees are so inept. Get this, the in store shelf hangers clearly stated that technic and regular priced sets were excluded! Basically meaning you could only take the $25 off $100 of sale priced sets!

Marking up items and running a sale to bring them back down to msrp may border on illegality. I recall this tactic from kbtoys when they used to print price stickers with an original price and then a red slash marked through and new price in red. I also recall a lawsuit against them which they lost.
Last edited by ufjason on Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eBay store, contact me if you'd like to perform trades from my inventory. I'm looking for original genosian fighers, second version a-wing fighters and tie bombers. I may be interested in other sets so let me know what you have.
ufjason

Postby deco_droid » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:03 pm

Mister Ed wrote:
kibosh wrote:Why would they give you 5% off the MSRP on an item that is on sale. You should only get 5% off what you are actually paying. Am I missing something?

That's what I would have assumed. I've never encountered ANYBODY that would figure the additional discount off the original price. An additional 5% (or 10%, or whatever) off is pretty much always off today's price.

Well, I don't know what to tell ya, but I HAVE bought things on sale plus additional % off discounts and it WAS off the original price. Maybe Target doesn't do it that way, and that's fine -- I don't shop there all that often. I do find it odd though that they would change their "regular price" to a lower than retail price -- because it makes no sense. It actually makes the product LESS enticing. Who are the marketing geniuses at Target that think that's a great idea? You advertise a sale of $3 off instead of $23 off? Helloooooooo? Whatever.
deco_droid

Postby onions » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:11 pm

just ignore deco. he's the same guy that claims to get hundreds of dollars of free lego from toys r us with their awful rewards program.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby bacon1986 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:28 pm

Tried to get the price check on the podracers at Toys R Us, but even the night manager knew that the ad was a misprint. Darn it.
Want to know how much your LEGO investment is worth?
Visit BrickPicker.com: LEGO Price and Investing Guide
bacon1986

Postby SDIronClaw » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:31 pm

bacon1986 wrote:Tried to get the price check on the podracers at Toys R Us, but even the night manager knew that the ad was a misprint. Darn it.

Darn it man. My wife was able to get one....manager gave her a hard time, but she stood firm. She is a keeper lol.
"I find your lack of Lego disturbing."
SDIronClaw

Postby kibosh » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:56 am

Funny. I was able to get several Pod Racer price matches at Walmart. Each time, the cashier gave me a hard time, and truly did not want to match. Each time, the manager came over, looked at the ad, and said, "No problem". In the long run, they probably earned more of my business in the future because of this.
kibosh

Postby deco_droid » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:54 am

onions wrote:just ignore deco. he's the same guy that claims to get hundreds of dollars of free lego from toys r us with their awful rewards program.

Hey, I didn't say it was easy, but yah, I do save hundreds of dollars at TRU. It's not my problem you can't figure out how to take advantage of it, onions.

Back to the Target topic though, if they would take a cue from Amazon and mark any discounts as a % off the original retail price, they may do a bit better at generating sales. Seriously, someone needs to get fired over that $3 off an $80 set idea.
deco_droid

Return to Finds/Deals