Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Galaxy Squad - First Look

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Galaxy Squad - First Look

Postby Draykov » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:41 am

For those who've been living under a rock, there's a new space theme coming in 2013 known as Galaxy Squad.

Theme Set List:

70700 Space Swarmer
70701 Swarm Interceptor
70702 Warp Stinger
70703 Space Mantis
70704 Vermin Vaporizer
70705 Bug Obliterator

Now, based on the set names, you can probably guess that there's a certain level of homage being paid to the Insectoids theme of the late 90s. Thanks to member Murphquake's Flickr post of a teaser image in the latest LEGO Club Magazine, we can get a first look at (presumably) one of the new sets from the line and the "bad guy" minifigs.

(click to embiggen)
Hail Space!
Draykov

Re: Galaxy Squad - First Look

Postby ufjason » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:52 pm

Pull out your magnifying glass!

eBay store, contact me if you'd like to perform trades from my inventory. I'm looking for original genosian fighers, second version a-wing fighters and tie bombers. I may be interested in other sets so let me know what you have.
ufjason

Postby Daz Hoo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:05 pm

Wow... that's... really really small!

But from what I can make of it, it looks like what was described of that theme on Eurobricks.

I can't wait to have a more clearer (and bigger) look at these new sets!
Daz Hoo

Postby Solo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:10 pm

Humans in white and orange themed ships and vehicles subjugating green aliens... didn't we play this game before?
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Daz Hoo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:18 pm

Well, it's not like LEGO hasn't recycle a theme before...

Alpha Team -> Agents
Pirates I -> Pirates II -> PotC
Aquanauts -> Aquaraiders -> Alpha Team Deep Sea Mission -> Atlantis
Life on Mars -> Mars Mission -> Galaxy Squad

But hey, it's a Space theme besides SW. I'm not going to complain.
Daz Hoo

Postby Solo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:50 pm

Well sure, but they're generally not so lazy as to not change up the color scheme a bit. I'm looking forward to it too.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Draykov » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:58 pm

Too soon to tell if you ask me, but over at Eurobricks there is some speculation that the human faction will have some color variation.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby ufjason » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:09 am

I kind of agree with the sentiments against the recycling of themes and colors. Space Police 3 was a pretty decent success from years ago and ran for two years. Insectoids was not a success as I recall. Why not return simply to Space like Castle did. Bring the multi color space suits back and return to exploration and randomness rather than constant alien conflict. We just had alien conquest after all.
eBay store, contact me if you'd like to perform trades from my inventory. I'm looking for original genosian fighers, second version a-wing fighters and tie bombers. I may be interested in other sets so let me know what you have.
ufjason

Postby Draykov » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:26 pm

Well, I think we live in a time of conflict. As far as LEGO is concerned, conflict sells, so there's not getting around that until the trend dies off in playtests. That said, I'd welcome a space theme that makes liberal use of the CS logo (or even some derivative thereof) printed on bricks, slopes and minifig toros of various colors.

Update:

Thanks to Vynsane over on Toys-n-Bricks. Looks like they're taking an almost Ninjago-like approach to this with specifically named leaders (who, if their monikers are anything to go by, must moonlight as glam-rockers) of various colored teams and their appropriate colored robotic cohorts. Forgive the Googley translations from ze German:

70700 Space Swarmer (translation from German: Space Beetles)
The evil alien beetle-like insect buzzing in his space-beetle in the Galaxy! Do not let that captures the robot the Galaxy squad with the mouth parts of the beetle! Help him to escape with his jetpack out of the reach of the sound cannon of the insect! Get yourself to safety, take the space bug to target and turn it off with your blaster! Includes 2 minifigures with weapons: beetle insect-like alien and robot Ages 7 and up.

70701 Swarm Interceptor (translation form German: defensive jet)
A dangerous alien races mosquito zoom on its space plane! Holding that creepy critter on together with the leader of the blue team, Solomon Blaze, and the divisible defense-Jet! If the fight goes out of control, the Abwehrjet the Galaxy squad are divided into 2 machines: an agile flier with removable missiles and a powerful gun turret with camouflaged missiles! Against the divisible Abwehrjet with Solomon Blaze in the cockpit, the alien insects have no chance! Includes 2 minifigures and appropriate weapon: Solomon Blaze and alien mosquito. Ages 7 and up.

70702 Warp Stinger (translation from German: mosquito)
Holding the insect alien on board the Space furchterrregenden mosquitoes! He used the surplus function of the space mosquitoes to attack the heroes of the Galaxy squad. Make the Alien with the leader of the red team, Billy and his Speeder Starbeam harmless! Beware of sticky cocoon-case of space Mosquitoes beware! Exhort from the detachable blaster and try using the robot to free the galaxy from these oversized pests! The space, with its cocoon mosquito trap, the moving wings, the removable bullets and the shooter feature a very dangerous opponent. Includes 3 minifigures and appropriate weapon: Billy Starbeam, robot henchman with Jetpack and alien mosquito with wings. Ages 8 and up.

70703 Space Mantis
The Space Mantis has taken with her nimble grasshopper legs tracking the Galaxy squad teams. Holding onto the space of the Mantis aliens before Solomon Blaze and his blue robots get into his mouth sting! Parts of the vehicle Galaxy squad in an armored car and an agile flier on! Beware of the launcher and the sticky cocoon of space Mantis care! Includes 3 minifigures: Solomon Blaze, blue robot henchman and exclusive red insect Alien From 7 years.

70704 Vermin Vaporizer (translation from German: robot special buggy)
Space Scorpion hastetmit its cocoon behind the green hero of Galaxy Squad! Set to Help the leader of the Green Team, Chuck Stone Breaker and his green robot here, the critter with the ScRobo special laboratory incapacitated! Bring the alien invader in trouble by you split the robot specialized laboratory in a powerful robot and an armored lab! Translate Chuck Stonebreaker in the cockpit of the robot and fire powerful missiles and rockets into the double-Alien! In a special laboratory, you can then examine the alien insect. Includes 3 minifigures: Chuck Stone Breaker, Green Robot and alien insect Í all with matching weapons. Ages 8 and up.

70705 Bug Obliterator (translation from German: Command Shuttle)
Dangerous space dragonfly tries to capture the heroes of the Orange Galaxy squad in a cocoon prison. Fly with the command shuttle and the heroes of the Orange team, Jack and Ashlee StarStrider Fireblade! The vehicle can be a button in a rugged utility vehicle and split a manoeuvrable space ship that brings the insects from the top in distress! Exhort from the camouflaged missiles and laser cannons to repel these alien creatures! Includes 3 minifigures: Jack Fireblade, Ashlee StarStrider and alien insect with wings, weapons and cocoon. Ages 8 and up.

Update to the update:

No idea if there is any legitimacy to this, but a site in the Netherlands has a few additional set numbers listed for this theme (at the very least, I think we can say the set names are not final). Thanks to CM4S over at Eurobricks for the tip-off. Most are slated for August 2013 while the "walker" is slated for April along with the rest of the first wave.

70706 Galaxy Squad
70707 "
70708 "
70709 "
30230 Galaxy Walker
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Flynn » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:52 pm

Draykov wrote:(who, if their monikers are anything to go by, must moonlight as glam-rockers)

Note to self: make sure to have some David Bowie on when building the sets.

Billy played guitar, jamming good with Jack and Ashlee
And the Galaxy Squad..
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Draykov » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:10 am

Minifig images have surfaced. I stumbled across them at lego.wikia.com, but apparently, they came from eBay listings.

Alien Mosquito
Red Insect Alien

ImageImage

ImageImage
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Flynn » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:44 am

Is it crazy to say I prefer the Insectoids figs?

(Granted, aesthetically these bear closer relation to the Atlantis figs than Insectoids)
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Daz Hoo » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:43 am

Flynn wrote:Is it crazy to say I prefer the Insectoids figs?

Yes, totally crazy... :lol:

Seriously, I gotta say that I don't particularly care for the Mosquito (although he is well done), but that Red Insect Alien gives me all kind of ideas for an alien race of giant ants... Ohhh!!! the possibilities...
Daz Hoo

Postby Flynn » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:03 pm

Daz Hoo wrote:Yes, totally crazy... :lol:

Well, really, it's not fair to compare them since they're aiming at two separate things (as I mentioned in the edit in my post). I guess I just prefer the concept behind the Insectoids design a bit more- they had almost a biomechanical insect/robot/man kind of feel to them, which I prefer to straight up insect-creatures.

But that's just personal preference. Anxious to see how the sets look.

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby ufjason » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:46 am

This guy has more than just galaxy squad figs. He's got that four armed Jedi that went bad from clone wars and others.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/lego*dudes/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686
ufjason

Postby Solo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:41 pm

Spotted on the shelf at a Canadian TRU by this guy:
care of http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion ... ada#latest
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Flynn » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Hagrid's Hut is still being sold in stores?

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Draykov » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:01 am

Loving the fact that we'll be getting this helmet in a rainbow of fruit flavors. Those robots look pretty hardcore. Not sure what to think of the squad member's torso prints...hard to see, but doesn't look like anything too special. While I'm disappointed at the lack of CS logos (which is not all that surprising) this looks like the spaciest space theme we've seen from LEGO in a while. I"m excited to see the rest of the line.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby ufjason » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:15 am

I don't mind if we get space lines that run a year and rotate out while changing the space suit colors. I wish it didn't have to be a constant battle between good and evil. I guess city is all fires, police and criminals now so it's everywhere. We are a violent species if our bricks reflect it ;).

I just have a fondness for classic space and futuron. Wish we could get some cool sets that aren't about battle. Remember the moonbase project? I think it would be great to have modules that could connect together. Lego could sell a battle pack like hall way connector and connect different modules. You could have your battle modules and also include other types of modules to satisfy other interests like space exploration. Attach a TV show using the animation from Ninjago and instant hit!
ufjason

Postby Draykov » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:40 am

Flickr user Cupishalfempty has posted some additional pics of the stuff he ran across at a Canadian TRU.

Hail Space!
Draykov

Next

Return to Original Themes