Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Crisis

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Cris

Postby volumex » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:27 pm

zhouston wrote:
volumex wrote:Come on guys, lets get mech'in... the crisis needs you. ;)

no kidding, it's been a quiet friday...

I don't see a field of 100 for this one... :S
volumex

Postby madLEGOman » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:32 pm

Well made a few minor modifications, partly due to zane's suggestions, and now N.O.R.A.'s even cooler =) yay for puns
madLEGOman

Postby scibb241 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:39 pm

I present my entry for the entirely heroic Black Widow; The Widow Mech.

In her unusually long, and interesting life Natasha Romanoff has undertaken various missions which have brought her into contact with many of the World's best scientists and engineers. When she needs a big, ol' fighting mechanoid built for her, she calls in a number of favours. The machine's designer's took inspiration from her codename and based the robot on the deadly spider.

Widow Mech by scibb241, on Flickr

The Widow is equipped with all manner of useful armaments. Mounted in the spider's head are four cannons. The front two legs have powerful pneumatic claws mounted on them and the next pair of the legs are tipped with heavy, bladed spikes for close combat. One pair of legs are mounted with machine guns and the rearmost legs carry Starktech repulsors and can be employed for both propulsion and as weapons.

Cockpit View by scibb241, on Flickr

Black Widow by scibb241, on Flickr

The Widow is capable of deploying in a number of ways, including rearing up on the hind legs to stand tall against more traditional 2 leg mechs. Please see Flickr stream for more pictures.
scibb241

Postby ImpendingDoom » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:24 pm

Where are all the entries man?
ImpendingDoom

Postby Chief » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:28 pm

^where's yours?
Chief

Postby DarthNick » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:30 pm

ImpendingDoom wrote:Where are all the entries man?

Just finished mine, though no pics till the morning. But don't be expecting anything amazing, I also started earlier tonight. :p
DarthNick

Postby mandalorian_marshall » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:18 am

Hello everyone,
I'm happy to announce my first ever entry into an FBTB contest, as well as the first custom I've built in several years.

I chose Forge, an X-man and a hero from the Marvel universe. I was largely inspired by the sentinels from the classic X-Men TV series in the 90's. Plus, a mech that was designed to deal with the wide variety of mutant powers, should be well-equipped to handle whatever it is that's hurtling towards the earth.

During a sentinel attack on the X-Mansion, Forge gets an opportunity to field-test an EMP weapon that he's been working on. It doesn't function as planned though, and instead of disabling all of the sentinels it just burns out the programming, command, and control circuits in one (so, basically the sentinel's entire nervous system). Forge takes this as an opportunity, and re-wires and programs the sentinel himself. Stripped of it's connection to the Master Mold that created it, Forge re-purposes the sentinel as a manned mech to protect the X-men and all of humanity.

Minifig:
Forge (X-Men) by Darwin42, on Flickr

Proof that he fits inside:
Cockpit view by Darwin42, on Flickr

Main shot:
Forge's Sentinel by Darwin42, on Flickr

Features include:
-2 heavy beam cannons (palm of each hand)
-8 cutting lasers (fingertips)
-unibeam (Stark helped out with that one)
-rocket boots allow flight
-2 high-intensity lasers (eyes)
-heavy armour body shell (it's got to be tough to withstand all of the crazy mutant powers these guys had to absorb)
-powered servo-joints give him vast physical strength, making his fists and feet effective weapons as well
-advanced sensor package for detecting mutants at long range can pick up all sorts of energy readings

This is the also the first time that I've built a large-scale figure, and I have a new found respect for all the mecha builders out there. This thing was a nightmare to get to stay standing, and to give his limbs some mobility while keeping them sturdy enough to stay posed.

Good luck to all and big thanks to the mods for putting this contest on!
mandalorian_marshall

Postby citizen » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:35 am

Last minute entry, nearly!!! :) And here it comes, I proudly present you my Mech for the super villains – Gentleman Ghost Robo!
And here's my MOC Gentleman Ghost:
And this is the proof taht Gentleman Ghost can go inside the cockpit (Sorry for the quality, but the glass pieces make it difficult to see :( )
I know that it is a quite strange choice for the character, so I think I should go over it a little bit first. When I first noticed this awesome contest, I have thought about a few characters: The Riddler, Scarecrow, Clock King and Gentleman Ghost ( That’s of course!!). But due to the lack of minifigures of scarecrow and a piece of clock (Yes, I still haven’t got ONE of that even I have played Lego for such a long time….), I decided to make either the Riddler or Gentleman Ghost. But when I have looked at the other amazing creations by you awesome guys, I think I’d better choose a character that hasn’t been made by Lego before. So that’s why it turns out like this.
Okay, let’s go on with the main focus of my entry – the robot. Very obvious, it is a large-size Gentleman Ghost. You may notice that comparing to the other entries, mine is less armed with weapons. Yes, because if you know who is Gentleman Ghost, you should know that his cane is almost his ONLY weapon (Yes, almoatly onlt, because he still got the pistol.). What’s more, I assume that if you were a ghost, you don’t really need a weapon other from the cane and the pistol, right? So, I just give an enlarged version of his cane so he can fire more powerful strikes!! One feature that I would like to point out, if you are careful enough, you may see there is a button. By taking off the hat and pushing up the button, Gentleman Ghost will be able to rise from the cockpit, just like the boss from the movies!!!! I think it’s a pretty cool feature, and you can find out how it looks in the link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/89566424@N05/
Thankyou very much for spending your valuable time to see my entry. Hope you like it and will support mein the vote!! :D
P.S. Some of you may ask why Gentleman Ghost is in black suit not white, well, this is only because of the different versions. But I think the white one should be the original.
citizen

Postby Ultron32 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:02 am

^Nice minifig! Cool mech too.
^^That sentinel looks great! The minifig is pretty cool looking too.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby Harmonica » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:07 am

My entry, Captain America (need I even mention his allegiance? Hero, just to be sure).

Captain America Mech by WGHMusic, on Flickr

(I wanted to make a 'bust a cap' pun, I'll admit, but it would just be too horrible.)

Cockpit:

Fig:

Set on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wghmusic/s ... 918403106/
Harmonica

Postby Ultron32 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:10 am

^Pretty cool, nice setup with the colors. I would have used the shield from the ultrabuild, though.
Ultron32

Postby Harmonica » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:16 am

Don't have it (nor would I spend any money on those...things).
Harmonica

Postby Ultron32 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:26 am

^I see what you're saying. Iron man works for it, Joker looks sort of cool, but the rest are just weird.
@madlegoman: I think you should and probably will win.

I can't wait to start voting!
Ultron32

Postby Lego junkie » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:47 am

Any ideas how long after the competition the voting threads will be up?
I'm not gonna be able to access the forums for about a week while I'm away.
:/
Lego junkie

Postby scibi » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:12 am

HERO: Havok, with Unleashed.

Unleashed amplifies Havok's mutant ability, and is powered by cosmic energy (which also makes a pretty handy offensive weapon).
Havok Unleashed by scibi2010, on Flickr

Havok
Havok by scibi2010, on Flickr

Cockpit
Untitled by scibi2010, on Flickr
scibi

Postby MotionOTheOcean » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:56 am

Igginz wrote:So... I still don't have power. I'm typing this from the school I'm student teaching at. Hope I get power back in time to photograph my mech, though there does't seem to be much point seeing as everyone else's mechs are so awesome! :P

Does anyone think we should make special consideration for this guy? Looking at his flicker, his mech seems nearly complete, but since no one has heard from him since this post I can only assume he is still without power and internet due to Sandy. Personally I think his mech looks awesome and would hate to see it not get entered due to natural disaster. What do you guys think?
MotionOTheOcean

Postby SDIronClaw » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:03 am

MotionOTheOcean wrote:
Igginz wrote:So... I still don't have power. I'm typing this from the school I'm student teaching at. Hope I get power back in time to photograph my mech, though there does't seem to be much point seeing as everyone else's mechs are so awesome! :P

Does anyone think we should make special consideration for this guy? Looking at his flicker, his mech seems nearly complete, but since no one has heard from him since this post I can only assume he is still without power and internet due to Sandy. Personally I think his mech looks awesome and would hate to see it not get entered due to natural disaster. What do you guys think?

As a neutral party, I feel that would be the honorable thing to do.
"I find your lack of Lego disturbing."
SDIronClaw

Postby DanBinks » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 am

My entry is for the Villain Poison Ivy

PoisonIvyMiniFig by DanBinks, on Flickr

Her Mech is made from living plants grown around a few select pieces of tech. It's weapons include a corrosive venom spewing arm, and a grappling arm, whose vines can grow into the seams and joints of other Mechs. The Flora of the Mech can also regenerate and feed off the radiation of the object.

PoisonIvyMech,v2 by DanBinks, on Flickr

PoisonIvyMechCockpit,v2 by DanBinks, on Flickr
DanBinks

Postby davedude » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:49 am

@DanBinks very nice!!! very original!!
davedude

Postby kaliondi » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:15 pm

The Jokes on You.
With moveable joints and multiple weapons, this mech unit is nothing to mess with

The Jokes on You by kaliondi, on Flickr

DSCN2473 by kaliondi, on Flickr

DSCN2476 by kaliondi, on Flickr
kaliondi

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds