Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4B, Episode 7 in 2015

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4B, Episode 7 in 2015

Postby Walter Boy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:19 am

Mister Ed wrote:
Walter Boy wrote:Just to clarify, they haven't made a "cheapquel" to any of their animated films since 2008

Isn't there a direct-to-DVD spin-off from Cars coming, called Planes? Made without Pixar's involvement, to boot?

Yeah, but I think it is more in line with the Tinker Bell films. I don't think there will be any existing Cars characters in it and it is more of a spin-off then a "sequel" so I don't consider it to be the same as something like Cinderella II. But yeah it looks like it could be pretty bad.
Walter Boy

Postby Daz Hoo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:17 am

Lucas was milking us by « tweeking » and « re-tweeking » his movies. Disney will probably milk us with some mediocre spin-offs starring Star Wars characters.

I honestly don't know which is the lesser evil, but at least, with Lucas, we knew what that evil was capable of.

With Disney, it's a brand new ball game...
Daz Hoo

Postby dWhisper » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:37 am

Flynn wrote:A reboot is almost totally out of the question. Disney may be a money-grubbing business, but they're a very smart one, and would realize a full-fledged reboot would piss off too many people to be successful. Were they to even go that route, though, they'd take care with it- no Efron or 'the Rock' or any of that.

Really, I don't think there'll be any changes whatsoever in the films and how they're handled apart from the upcoming sequel trilogy. Lucasfilm wasn't even a particularly prolific company anyways, so this'll probably just go the way of Marvel and not make that much of a difference.

I don't know... while Disney knows more about doing anything for a buck than Lucas did (and that's saying something), they are in the money-grubbing business. And yes, a full-fledged reboot might piss off a lot of people, it also represents a huge opportunity. It's not just rebooting the movies... it's the books, comics, action figures, toys, video games, bedsheets, Taco Bell cups...

It's a cost/benefit game for them. A reboot, in and off itself is not a bad thing. Look at what rebooting Batman has done, or Star Trek, etc. Yes, you can go insane (see Sony, Spider Man) with them, but make the right choices and it's good.

More than that, we shouldn't look at this like Disney as in Disney Channel Disney, sticking Zack Efron and Miley Cirus in everything. They haven't done it with Marvel, with Pixar, or The Muppets. They've given those properties a lot of latitude that's outside the classic view of the company.

If you make the right choices, a reboot could work. Sure, it'll piss off purists and old school fans, but let's be honest... would a reboot piss us off any more than the constant changes of each new edition, the PT, Jar Jar Binks, or this?

We need to remember that with Star Wars, while it's been viewed by billions of people and is a loved series, the hardcore fans, like us, are a huge minority. There are people who have never seen the movies still, or just want some new stuff. As soon as the money from them offsets people who claim they'll never spend another cent (and then spend thousands in shame), Disney would do it.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Solo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:17 am

I'm willing to wager a UCS Han Solo in Carbonite that they won't try to reboot Star Wars for at least ten years. (I figure ten years is a reasonable amount of time to give Lego to come up with a UCS Han Solo in Carbonite set so this bet is sort of a toofer). Any takers?
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Daz Hoo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:35 pm

Mister Ed wrote:Well, aside from Harrison Ford, who, if I recall correctly, has made it abundantly clear that he has zero interest in ever playing Han Solo again.

Besides the last Indiana Jones, what was Ford's latest blockbuster movie with a huge budget?

The guy's star is quickly fading out IMHO. With the right words, the right script, the right director, and the right amount of dollars, I think Harrison Ford could be convinced to play Han Solo again (hey, maybe Han could even die this time around). This might even put his career back on track.

Personally, I think Carrie Fisher might be harder to convince. She's been out of the spotlight for a long time and I think she might fear that playing Leia again would bring back some old demons.

But then again, what do I know about Hollywood and its stars...
Daz Hoo

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:44 pm

Daz Hoo wrote:
Mister Ed wrote:Well, aside from Harrison Ford, who, if I recall correctly, has made it abundantly clear that he has zero interest in ever playing Han Solo again.

Besides the last Indiana Jones, what was Ford's latest blockbuster movie with a huge budget?

The guy's star is quickly fading out IMHO. With the right words, the right script, the right director, and the right amount of dollars, I think Harrison Ford could be convinced to play Han Solo again (hey, maybe Han could even die this time around). This might even put his career back on track.

Personally, I think Carrie Fisher might be harder to convince. She's been out of the spotlight for a long time and I think she might fear that playing Leia again would bring back some old demons.

But then again, what do I know about Hollywood and its stars...

Ford was in Cowboys and Aliens. Not that I'd call that a blockbuster, but I imagine it had a decent budget.

But frankly, I think by now Ford is rich enough (and old enough) that he needn't be too fussed about "getting his career back on track". The guy most likely never has to work again unless he wants to, and he's already said he doesn't want to be Solo again.
Mister Ed

Postby Daz Hoo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:58 pm

Well, he did play Indiana Jones again (and he probably didn't have to financially). Why not Han Solo?...

Hollywood stars, for the most part, don't want to "fade out". They crave the attention, the spotlight. So if you promised them that, whether they are rich enough to buy the NY Yankees, they'll do it in a heartbeat.

I don't think Harrison Ford is any different.
Daz Hoo

Postby SonOfSolo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:32 pm

Dude, now I can't stop singing "I'm Han Solo, I'm Han solo, Solooooooooooooooooo...................." Thanks.
:lol: :lol:
SonOfSolo

Postby Flynn » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:37 pm

Ford also has a key role in the upcoming Ender's Game film, so if that pans out well I'd say his 'star power' would be pretty good for an actor his age.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:39 pm

Daz Hoo wrote:Well, he did play Indiana Jones again (and he probably didn't have to financially). Why not Han Solo?....

Because he didn't ever express a distaste for the idea of playing Indy again?

I don't think, if he's desperate to be in the spotlight, that he would have any problem finding some work that DIDN'T involve him playing a character he said he never wanted to play again.

I could be wrong about that, but my impression is that he is still well enough regarded that he could get non-Han Solo work without too much trouble.

We'll see, I guess.
Mister Ed

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:40 pm

Flynn wrote:Ford also has a key role in the upcoming Ender's Game film, so if that pans out well I'd say his 'star power' would be pretty good for an actor his age.

Wait, is that ACTUALLY getting made? I've been hearing rumors for years, but it seemed like it was NEVER going to get off the ground.
Mister Ed

Postby Flynn » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:45 pm

Yep. It's been cast for a while now and is scheduled for release next November.

And Daz, you're equating certain stars with all actors. Most serious actors aren't nearly as attention-seeking as people think, and based on how Ford's presented himself in interviews and such I'd say he's definitely not of that particular breed.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Daz Hoo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:57 pm

Maybe, maybe not. I'll guess the future will tell us how much money does Ford need and how much of the spotlight he seeks. ;)

Anyway, first, Disney has to find a director for the movie and get a script together. That, in itself, will be a challenge!
Daz Hoo

Postby Flynn » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:17 pm

Apparently they're looking at David Fincher to direct, since he's had some past involvement with ILM.

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby jomandybri » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:11 pm

Here's an interesting article I just came across, shows the original ideas Lucas had for the films. i fond it remarkable that way back then, he spoke to Hamill about 2011 as a start date for a follow up trilogy to the OT, which is a pretty close date, really. http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index. ... i-viii-ix/
May the mass times acceleration be with you!
jomandybri

Postby Flynn » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:46 pm

Of course, given how much the prequels shifted and changed from their original outline to their eventual execution is reason enough we shouldn't be expecting anything conclusive from what he mentions in his original discussions.

To give an example of this, just read the prologue to Lucas's novelization of the original film, which outlines the prequels fairly straightforwardly...but goes in a vastly different direction than the films did (the Emperor starts as a good guy, for one). It's fair to say anything Lucas had planned in the 70's is going to be markedly different from whatever they choose to do today.

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby SonOfSolo » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:54 pm

Why couldn't they just start the set with an older, wiser Han towards the end of life. Similar to Obi Wan in ANH. Maybe his death can start off the story for another trilogy.
SonOfSolo

Postby fallenangel327 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:15 pm

Such a decision would fall under the kinds of alienating plot devices we expect Disney not to incorporate into this new trilogy. Besides, Solo provides such a convenient way of tying in new plotlines that Lucas wouldn't possibly approve of killing him off.

I don't believe fans were particularly happy about Salvatore killing off Chewbacca either...
fallenangel327

Postby CWAL » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:31 pm

As someone who hasn't seen the SW Kinect thing yet, that was almost as bad as what I was expecting Disney to do with the franchise.

Realizing something like that already exists almost makes me a little more hopeful that they can't screw it up too bad for me. I'll just stick with the books like I have for the last 10 years and try my best to ignore everything else. xD

The absolute worst thing that could happen in my view of SW would be if they end up doing anything that causes major portions of the books to become inconsistent, but I don't see that as very likely.
CWAL

Postby Coret » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:00 am

I love how everyone blames Salvatore for killing Chewy. Salvatore didn't come up with the idea to kill off a main character, he was told to, then told which ones he couldn't. Chewy being the biggest one not on the list of safe people. Not even sure he picked it out since there have been conflicting reports on it.
Coret

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars