Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4B, Episode 7 in 2015

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4B, Episode 7 in 2015

Postby onions » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:26 am

deco_droid wrote:
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/10/31/m ... ii-disney/

you guys should trust my instincts more...

that article doesn't tell us anything.

besides, anyone thinking that the possibility of a cameo appearance by any of the principal actors would be shortsighted. there's this overriding assumption that any sequel wouldn't work because they're too old, but there's no rule saying that a sequel would pick up the story immediately after the events of jedi. the next chapter could take place at any point in time after jedi, 1 year, 10 years, 100 years, etc. i mean star trek tng managed to do cameos with the original cast, so anything's possible really.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Mister Ed » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:54 am

I did read an article saying that Luke would be in his 30s in the next movie. Now I have to find it again, and see whether it seemed like that bit of info was coming from somebody that would actually know...

EDIT: Well here's the article. Not sure how much stock to put into it, though.

http://collider.com/star-wars-episode-7 ... er/207631/
Last edited by Mister Ed on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Ed

Postby madLEGOman » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:56 am

It seems like george is more concerned with his legacy, i mean this has been in the works ever since moving his business from skywalker ranch to the presidio. Hope his health is ok
madLEGOman

Postby theone » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:05 pm

happy?

scared?

excited?

i just dont know how to feel
theone

Postby deco_droid » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:04 pm

onions wrote:
deco_droid wrote:
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/10/31/m ... ii-disney/

you guys should trust my instincts more...

that article doesn't tell us anything.

besides, anyone thinking that the possibility of a cameo appearance by any of the principal actors would be shortsighted. there's this overriding assumption that any sequel wouldn't work because they're too old, but there's no rule saying that a sequel would pick up the story immediately after the events of jedi. the next chapter could take place at any point in time after jedi, 1 year, 10 years, 100 years, etc. i mean star trek tng managed to do cameos with the original cast, so anything's possible really.

oh, okay, so you're saying the fact that lucas met up with carrie and mark and told them about the upcoming sequel trilogy months ago doesn't tell us anything. really?

...and "shortsighted"? whatever. read between the lines. one or both of them will be featured in the new movies to tie it to the ot. you can't just start up ep7 100 years in the future and continue the story and expect people to care. everything successful in the eu is based on that simple rule. it's pretty obvious really.

anyway, the time frame between ep3 and 4 is about 20 years, so I would guess ep7 would start in around 25 to 30 years after ep6 -- which, gee, fits in nicely with the ot actors' actual ages.
deco_droid

Postby Daz Hoo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:10 pm

Hey guys! Long time no see!

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard this news. Personally, I'm not thrilled at all about this deal.

Yes, taking the Star Wars licence out of Lucas' hands is probably a good thing. But so many things COULD go terribly wrong following this deal that I'm incline to dissapproove right now (even though Lucas doesn't give a Rancor's behind about what I think).

First of all, Disney? For real? I don't think it's the best company to own all of Lucasfilms, and especially Star Wars. Yes, Disney has been good for some companies and licences that they acquired in the late years (PotC, Pixar, Marvel), but it is also the same company that gave us so many "direct-to-DVD" sequels and movies that were lamer than lame (Air Bud anyone? Beverly Hills Chihuahua?). And if Disney is willing to produce not-so-good sequels for classics like Lady and the Tremp, you can bet that a Star Wars not-so-good sequel could happen one day.

Also, how would you guys feel if Disney decided to do what's popular right now in the film industry and "reboot" the whole series? New Han (played by Zach Efron), new Leia (I'm thinking Amanda Bines here) and totally pimp out new Luke (how about one of the Jonas Brothers?). Oh, and The Rock could play Darth Vader...

:facepalm:

Another thing that could really go down the drain would be the merchandising. Sure, Lucas did put the Star Wars name on a lot of things, and some products were pretty crappy. But have you noticed lately that alot of dollar stores are filled with crappy toys and other products with Disney's Princesses or Lightning McQueen on them? If MegaBlocks tells Disney that they will gave them a higher pourcentage for the licence to produce the Star Wars building sets, do you really think Disney will stay with the "better quality" company?

In short, maybe I'm just being negative here, but I see a lot more things that could go wrong with Star Wars than things that might be going better after this deal.
Last edited by Daz Hoo on Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Daz Hoo

Postby Mister Ed » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:22 pm

deco_droid wrote:oh, okay, so you're saying the fact that lucas met up with carrie and mark and told them about the upcoming sequel trilogy months ago doesn't tell us anything. really?

Actually, I thought Mark Hamill was the one who said that he figured the meeting was just so that they'd be the first to know. He could just be being coy, I suppose, but his account certainly doesn't SOUND like there was any discussion of them APPEARING in said films.

And like I said, a report is out there from a biographer claiming to have seen story treatments that Luke is supposed to be late 30s in the next movie. I don't know how trustworthy the guy is, or whether those are the same story outlines that supposedly Disney acquired from Lucas with this deal, but I don't find it implausible that they would recast the roles for a sequel set a bit closer to Jedi.
Mister Ed

Postby deco_droid » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:28 pm

yah, i would disregard anything lucas may or may not have said to a biographer in the 1990s...
deco_droid

Postby Mister Ed » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:36 pm

What about the fact that Mark Hamill says Lucas said nothing about him being in any prospective movies during their meeting? While that may not rule it out, it certainly tosses that meeting as any kind of evidence for him being involved.
Mister Ed

Postby deco_droid » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:42 pm

so you think lucas would tell him the news about these plans months ago just to say, hey, i thought you should know?

oh, and if lucas did in fact offer him a small role, do you think he would tell mark to be sure and mention that fact to any reporter you like?

i'm not saying luke will be a major character -- i don't think that at all, but i think it is important to tie the sequels to the ot, and nothing would do that better than having luke and/or leia in some cameo. and why waste the time and effort to recast the role(s) to newcomers to fit a 20 year later scenario, when you can simply make it 25-30 years in the future and use the original cast members?
deco_droid

Postby Mister Ed » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:56 pm

Well, aside from Harrison Ford, who, if I recall correctly, has made it abundantly clear that he has zero interest in ever playing Han Solo again.

Which would mean that you either have to recast just one of the characters, or come up with an explanation for Han's absence, both of which sound kind of cheesy to me.

I dunno. Part of me would like to see them come back, but another part tells me it is kind of unlikely.

And given that Mark Hamill didn't have to mention his meeting with Lucas at all, when they were just asking him about his reaction to the news, I see little motive for him to do so, then directly lie about the content of it. He didn't just not mention being offered a part, he directly denied that it was discussed when asked (a question that stemmed from his mention of the meeting in the first place, which again, he had no need to do). So maybe I'm just not quite so quick to assume he's lying. I could well be wrong.
Mister Ed

Postby lowlead » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:03 pm

I'm thinking Hamill would be the only one out of the three (Hamill, Fisher, Ford) that would even possess an ounce of credibility. So perhaps he's just tossing out some dis-information while they discuss terms, or they just want to use his voice or image in a dream (or Force) sequence or something.

As stated above, Ford vows with near disgust he'll never reprise the role, especially since he thought Solo should have died anyway.

And Fisher - the cynical train wreck that she's become - talk about a liability! A HILARIOUS liability, but could you imagine Carrie trying to get through just one serious take without cracking up? I couldn't make the leap. Hamill is the key to linking these movies if they feel they must.

...R2 and 3PO too, of course.
Last edited by lowlead on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lowlead

Postby onions » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:13 pm

the fact that lucas met with them means nothing. can't a few people ever have lunch without a role being cast or a script being traded? i dunno.. like maybe friends or something? and there's nothing to read in between the lines that would have enough people come to a consensus on what they met about. they might have met to talk about refinancing their home mortgages with today's low interest rates. who knows.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby lowlead » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:16 pm

onions wrote:the fact that lucas met with them means nothing. can't a few people ever have lunch without a role being cast or a script being traded?...

In Hollywood? Prob not. :D
lowlead

Postby Walter Boy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:08 pm

Daz Hoo wrote:... but it is also the same company that gave us so many "direct-to-DVD" sequels and movies that were lamer than lame (Air Bud anyone? Beverly Hills Chihuahua?). And if Disney is willing to produce not-so-good sequels for classics like Lady and the Tremp, you can bet that a Star Wars not-so-good sequel could happen one day

Just to clarify, they haven't made a "cheapquel" to any of their animated films since 2008, and the "success" of spin-off projects (Tinker Bell being the main example) is a good sign that they won't try to ruin anymore of their classic films with terribley animated sequels for awhile. But you still make a valid point, as you never really know what's going to happen.

As for the reboot idea, I am fairly certain Disney won't attempt it for quite some time, and they certainly wouldn't be dumb enough to make a reboot with the actors you mentioned, or the other more modern ones like Bieber or Gomez. I honestly don't think any movie corporation could be that stupid.

But then again I've been wrong before. :lol:
Walter Boy

Postby Flynn » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:27 pm

A reboot is almost totally out of the question. Disney may be a money-grubbing business, but they're a very smart one, and would realize a full-fledged reboot would piss off too many people to be successful. Were they to even go that route, though, they'd take care with it- no Efron or 'the Rock' or any of that.

Really, I don't think there'll be any changes whatsoever in the films and how they're handled apart from the upcoming sequel trilogy. Lucasfilm wasn't even a particularly prolific company anyways, so this'll probably just go the way of Marvel and not make that much of a difference.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby CaptainFordo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:15 am

Olymprix wrote:
lowlead wrote:
...Having Cinderella's Castle lead in to a Star Wars movie is going to be...odd.

Exactly.

Hopefully they acknowledge this time honored 20th Century Fox sequence by toning down all the magical kingdom crap, and make it a bit ominous in the style of the Warner Bros. openings for movies of less sing-songy content.

Please don't overlook this Disney - yikes!

Disney owns Marvel and there wasn't the Magic Kingdom sequence or a sing-song theme in Avengers.

That's because of a deal that Paramount cut with Disney. Since they kicked off the MCU with Iron Man, they were allowed to distribute and take a small cut or something like that. This was to be just for Avengers but IM3 seems to be doing the same. It's possible Disney might strike a deal with Fox the same way, but remember 'The Clone Wars' movie had the Warner Bros logo at the start, so I wouldn't count on it...
CaptainFordo

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:26 am

Walter Boy wrote:Just to clarify, they haven't made a "cheapquel" to any of their animated films since 2008

Isn't there a direct-to-DVD spin-off from Cars coming, called Planes? Made without Pixar's involvement, to boot?
Mister Ed

Postby Coret » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:54 am

So when will be getting the "Secret Life of a Teenage Jedi Knight" in ABC Family? Okay that may be extreme, but that thought popped into my head and thought it was funny.
Coret

Postby Flynn » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:15 am

Mister Ed wrote:Isn't there a direct-to-DVD spin-off from Cars coming, called Planes? Made without Pixar's involvement, to boot?

I thought that was a show or something?
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars