Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Crisis

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: FBTB Mech Madness 2012 - Secret Crisis

Postby captain sambuca » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:07 pm

I know, I know: No monocle. I've gone for a face that's suave, cultured and reeks of class. So yeah, Alfred. Spot on.

Mind you:

onions wrote:Build Rules:

• Your robot must be appropriately themed to match your character. Keep in mind that this is the real challenge. The minifig is fluff. Don't spend two months perfecting your minifig then throw together a model at the last minute.

----- Clarifications -----

Can't wait to see your interpretation though!
captain sambuca

Re: FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Cris

Postby Raindog » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:56 pm

The greatest hero you've never heard of is ready for the Secret Crisis!

BoosterMech w/Skeets by bluewithinblue, on Flickr

Not to be outdone by other heroes, Booster has acquired a mech to supplement his arsenal of advanced technology. With a new paint job, a higher visibility cockpit, and a public broadcasting system, the Booster Mech is a marvel of engineering that let's everyone know the world's greatest hero has arrived to save the day.

Booster Gold by bluewithinblue, on Flickr

Booster would like to thank the following corporate sponsors:
Rock Raiders Industrial
Ares Exploration
Zurg GDS
Alpha Team Defensive Systems
Lightyear Aerospace
Aquanaut Adventures Inc.
Vodaphone

In the pit by bluewithinblue, on Flickr

Thanks for the contest, I had a good time with this!
Raindog

Postby Master Beef » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:11 pm

• Your robot must have an enclosed cockpit and at minimum two legs. Since the mechs are battling each other, It will also need some sort of weaponry.
Master Beef

Postby itchybreath » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:20 pm

Master Beef wrote:
...Since the mechs are battling each other, It will also need some sort of weaponry.

Should this disqualify melee/close combat type mechs that don't have weaponry?
Good thing there's still some time left to make additional changes for those mechs that lack weapons, right?
itchybreath

Postby Olymprix » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:24 pm

Is Blizzard (Marvel villain) to obscure?
"Size matters not." -- Yoda

Until you get stepped on, buddy...
Olymprix

Postby zhouston » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:08 pm

itchybreath wrote:
Master Beef wrote:
...Since the mechs are battling each other, It will also need some sort of weaponry.

Good thing there's still some time left to make additional changes for those mechs that lack weapons, right?

If my mech can vaporize yours with a single punch... i'd call that a weapon.

In all seriousness though, I think the point is it must be able to fight; I assume close combat is ok (especially considering how many melee super heroes there are out there, it would be very uncomic-like to not allow it). If not, I will accept disqualification.
zhouston
David

Postby ted @ndes » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:22 pm

In my opinion, the "Your robot must be appropriately themed to match your character" guideline trumps the "weaponry" need. I think any "weaponry" for a mech built for Juggernaut, The Hulk, The Thing, etc. would be out of character... as they say, "Hulk smash!", not "Hulk pew-pew!"
ted @ndes
Alpha Male

Postby itchybreath » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:41 pm

Sounds like making an exception the rule just to get out of having to equip your mech. " also needs some sort of weaponry" is completely different from the words "weapons are optional"
itchybreath

Postby zhouston » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:28 pm

itchybreath wrote:Sounds like making an exception the rule just to get out of having to equip your mech. " also needs some sort of weaponry" is completely different from the words "weapons are optional"

It never said you needed a ranged weapon... Are wolverine's claws weapons? What about Mjolnir? If those are considered weapons (and obviously they are), I don't see the problem with having a melee mech that has giant arms and legs used for smashing.

Now if you build a cyclops mech with no lasers, or a melee Prof. X or something like that, there might be an issue but as far as building a mech that is fitting for your hero/villain, close combat seems fine.
zhouston
David

Postby MotionOTheOcean » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:25 pm

You have to consider the hero or villain and what they most likely would require in a mech as a compliment and embodiment of there own abilities(not necessarily powers). For instance (i will try and use examples for characters that don't already have submitted mechs as not to favor anyone), a character who is mostly ranged would most likely used ranged attacks/weapons such as Gambit or Havok, etc. Also, a character who is mostly or all melee would not have ranged weapons and instead would use their mech to enhance there close combat fighting style such as Catwoman, Colosus, or Mr. Fantastic, etc. This being said, it could go the other way, its all up to the imagination of the creator.

In the end we can all be total nerds and try and split hairs about whats a weapon and what is not, but this contest's most important rule is to just have fun and see what people can come up with. Lets just all be civil and let imagination drive creativity.

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. -Yoda
MotionOTheOcean

Postby MacLane » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:02 pm

Ah, Wonder Woman. For me the highlight of any Wonder Woman appearance in the comics, live-action TV show or Super Friends was seeing her fly her ridiculous invisible jet. So for this contest, I present Wonder Woman's "Invisible Mech". It took a while to scrounge enough trans-clear elements to make this one, but that was the fun. No cheats or modifications used.

The Invisible Mech by MacLane, on Flickr

Wonder Woman by MacLane, on Flickr

Wonder Woman in Cockpit by MacLane, on Flickr
Thanks for putting on another great contest. Best of luck to the other submissions.
-Angus
Last edited by MacLane on Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
MacLane
Oh Chibi, You're So Fine You're So Fine You Blow My Mind, Hey Chibi! Hey Chibi!

Postby Master Beef » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:30 pm

itchybreath wrote:
Master Beef wrote:

Huh, that's weird, I posted my comment before Raindog posted his mech, but my comment is shown after his post...

Anyway, my comment was meant for Parkus Aurelius because his mech contains an open cockpit.
Master Beef

Postby volumex » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:52 am

@ MacLane, nice to see another lady has arrived, we have alot of boys to choose from :lol:
But you know girls, the nails will be out... :lol:
volumex

Postby Solo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:55 am

ParkusAurelius: PMed about the cockpit, you still have time to fix it and edit your post
itchybreath and everyone else: fists make fine weapons in the right hands. I apologize for nothing, that pun is hilarious. I need sleep
Olymprix: nah. Go for it.
MacLane: gold.
Master Beef: I somehow knew which part of that you were focusing on before I realized which mech you were referencing. Weird.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Igginz » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:28 am

So... I still don't have power. I'm typing this from the school I'm student teaching at. Hope I get power back in time to photograph my mech, though there does't seem to be much point seeing as everyone else's mechs are so awesome! :P
Igginz

Postby Ultron32 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:51 am

^That stinks.
^^Invisible gold? ^^^^Well it certainly is. I love it.
Ultron32

Postby crazybirdman » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:07 am

Igginz wrote:So... I still don't have power. I'm typing this from the school I'm student teaching at. Hope I get power back in time to photograph my mech, though there does't seem to be much point seeing as everyone else's mechs are so awesome! :P

Nonsense! Enter it anyways. we'd love to see it.
crazybirdman

Postby Mister Ed » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:22 am

Ultron32 wrote:^^Invisible gold?

In comics? Sure. I can't remember how many times the Silver Age Green Lantern had to deal with things emitting "invisible yellow" light. They even called it "Infra-Yellow" at some point, with a "science" note about how Infra-Yellow was invisible yellow light, like Infrared is invisible RED light.

Seriously. :D
Mister Ed

Postby Ultron32 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:56 am

^Cool.
Ultron32

Postby Ultron32 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:29 am

My mech is done! (cue Star Wars soundtrack) For the villians category:

The Penguin's Penguin-Bot

Penguin-Bot: Take 3 by Ultron32, on Flickr

"After I get this mysterious object from space, I'll destroy Batman!"
The head of the mech is also an escape pod.

Pilot:
Penguin-Bot Pilot: take 2 by Ultron32, on Flickr

The mech itself is fashioned out of a mix between Adamantium, Vibranium and Kryptonite.

Pilot in cockpit:
Penguin-Bot Cockpit: Take 2 by Ultron32, on Flickr

His weapon is a double rocket launcher, or he can just hit his targets with his ultra-tough flippers.

For more images featuring a close-up of his weaponry, a face-off against Batman, an image of his head as an escape pod, and more, click here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28341393@N ... 145183677/

Thank you for this great contest! (My second ever)
Last edited by Ultron32 on Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ultron32

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds