Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4B, Episode 7 in 2015

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4B, Episode 7 in 2015

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:45 am

Since Lucas is reportedly providing the story for the next three movies, I'd say using books as a source is unlikely at this point. Later, who knows? I kind of doubt it, though.
Mister Ed

Postby Ibiscribe » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:49 am

It kind of shocked me to hear about it in a way... but then it kinda didn't. Especially considering the Star Wars stuff that was already going on at Disney World Land.

As long as they stick to actual movies and avoid cheesy cartoon spinoffs (yes, sequels to classical Disney animated movies, I'm looking at you), I think they might do okay. Most of their Marvel films that I've seen have been pretty good so far.

As far as gearing things toward children... I'm not sure how much I'm really afraid of that, film-wise. The POTC films were pretty good in that regard, and that's an original Disney series for you. So for sure, they have someone there who knows how to do PG and how to do it well. Hopefully they can do at least as well for Star Wars.
Ibiscribe

Postby Olymprix » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:55 am

lowlead wrote:
...Having Cinderella's Castle lead in to a Star Wars movie is going to be...odd.

Exactly.

Hopefully they acknowledge this time honored 20th Century Fox sequence by toning down all the magical kingdom crap, and make it a bit ominous in the style of the Warner Bros. openings for movies of less sing-songy content.

Please don't overlook this Disney - yikes!

Disney owns Marvel and there wasn't the Magic Kingdom sequence or a sing-song theme in Avengers.
"Size matters not." -- Yoda

Until you get stepped on, buddy...
Olymprix

Postby lowlead » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:07 pm

Excellent! Never saw Avengers, but that's a good sign :D
lowlead

Postby Draykov » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:11 pm

Mister Ed wrote:I just realized how odd it will seem to have a Star Wars film preceded by anything other than the 20th Century Fox fanfare. As a kid, that bit of music became so strongly associated with Star Wars in my mind that I can distinctly recall hearing it before some OTHER Fox production and assuming Star Wars was coming up, then being bitterly disappointed when that wasn't the case. Having Cinderella's Castle lead in to a Star Wars movie is going to be...odd.

You may take a small bit of solace in knowing that Fox still owns the original "Star Wars" films. But probably not given the potential obstacle it poses to getting a new complete box set (let alone a high-def, unmolested version of the OT) made.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby onions » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:24 pm

lowlead wrote:Excellent! Never saw Avengers, but that's a good sign :D

umWUT? seriously?
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby lowlead » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:33 pm

Wha?
lowlead

Postby fallenangel327 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:33 pm

It was stupid of me not to have realized sooner that I can simply dismiss the future of Star Wars. That way I won't have to waste time chasing retcons or fighting flame wars against n00bs. While the rest of the world is busy snapping up the new merchandise, fans who are still only interested in the older stuff will be free to do as they please!

I'll be in the back with Crimson Empire and a magnifying glass. Give me a yell if anyone wants to talk about X-wings. :D

fallenangel327

Postby wegj » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:44 pm

New Lego sets!
WEGJ –keep creating!
http://BRICKSTORMS.com Custom Models and Minifigs
wegj

Postby LL918 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:37 pm

OK, so after absorbing this for about twentyfour hours I realise that the biggest impact is that Leia is now a Disney Princess.

Brilliant.
LL918

Postby Olymprix » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:30 pm

LL918 wrote:OK, so after absorbing this for about twentyfour hours I realise that the biggest impact is that Leia is now a Disney Princess.

Brilliant.

Oh, mercy, no.

At least there will be some more dignified Halloween costumes coming from that...
"Size matters not." -- Yoda

Until you get stepped on, buddy...
Olymprix

Postby mr_joshua » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:56 pm

Ok, so here's my biggest concern...will this give Disney the rights to re-do EP1-6 if they want? Or is that still owned by Fox? Other than that, I'm all for hoping they do an Old Republic era movie.

This is just a huge double rainbow for me....
mr_joshua

Postby dWhisper » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:41 pm

Fox never owned any rights, they were just a distributor. They didn't even have direct distribution rights, ultimately. Basically, Lucas retained all of the rights for everything from merchandising to how the film went out to the public at large. That's why there's never been a digital release and it took so long to get DVD or Blu-Ray. Fox would have had it out in an instant, but couldn't. It's all licensed by Lucas Film, which now belongs to Disney.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby anakinisvader » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:31 pm

Come on Disney, make Yoda a muppet again!!!!!!!!! I heard a rumor that Jar Jar is going to be the lead character in all the films and will be played by Johnny Depp. :lol:
anakinisvader

Postby Blacknight » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:22 am

mr_joshua wrote:Ok, so here's my biggest concern...will this give Disney the rights to re-do EP1-6 if they want? Or is that still owned by Fox? Other than that, I'm all for hoping they do an Old Republic era movie.

This is actually quite likely since Disney wants to "reboot" the franchise and harken back to what made the originals successful. I can totally see them remaking a New Hope with today's most popular young actors, unfortunately.
Blacknight

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:26 am

Blacknight wrote:
mr_joshua wrote:Ok, so here's my biggest concern...will this give Disney the rights to re-do EP1-6 if they want? Or is that still owned by Fox? Other than that, I'm all for hoping they do an Old Republic era movie.

This is actually quite likely since Disney wants to "reboot" the franchise and harken back to what made the originals successful. I can totally see them remaking a New Hope with today's most popular young actors, unfortunately.

I don't know where you guys are pulling this information out of. Disney and George have said repeatedly in all of the press releases, videos, and interviews that a major reason for the acquisition is to preserve and protect the characters of the franchise. To me, that screams anything but remaking the Saga - that would be the most stupid move they could possibly make, both from a creative and business standpoint. Disney is much, much smarter than to risk alienating the fans like that.
The_Chosen_1

Postby Rook » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:04 am

During Lucas' interview with Kathy Kennedy he clearly says the words "package" and "story lines for 7, 8, & 9"!

We're going to have a trilogy starting in 2015! :')
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby crazybirdman » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:09 am

The news reports are saying Fox has the rights until 2020, and the rights to Episode 4 forever.
crazybirdman

Postby scandell » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:36 am

Don't forget Disney also recently purchased the Muppets. And I have no objections to what they have done with them.
scandell

Postby deco_droid » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:49 am

deco_droid wrote:
Joedward wrote:
deco_droid wrote:Okay, somebody help me out on this -- Is Carrie Fisher still thin or is she back to being overweight these days???

Um..... Why?

Um...you don't think Carrie, Mark or Harrison would have SOME kind of cameo presence in Episode 7,8,9 Star Wars films??? Oh, and you KNOW Peter Mayhew is on the phone with Disney as we speak. :lol:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/10/31/m ... ii-disney/

you guys should trust my instincts more...
deco_droid

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars