Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4B, Episode 7 in 2015

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4B, Episode 7 in 2015

Postby deco_droid » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:30 pm

Joedward wrote:
deco_droid wrote:Okay, somebody help me out on this -- Is Carrie Fisher still thin or is she back to being overweight these days???

Um..... Why?

Um...you don't think Carrie, Mark or Harrison would have SOME kind of cameo presence in Episode 7,8,9 Star Wars films??? Oh, and you KNOW Peter Mayhew is on the phone with Disney as we speak. :lol:
deco_droid

Postby Athos » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:36 pm

I'm still not convinced; this sounds like a joke. Particularly the bit about releasing a new movie every two years...

I could be wrong, but as they say: "I've got a bad feeling about this."

Steve
Athos

Postby banthafodder » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:37 pm

Inzane wrote: I feel sadly it's ship has sailed. As has already been said in this thread, the principal cast is now too old. And who wants to see our beloved characters re-cast with new actors? (I sure as hell don't).

My name is Bond, James Bond.

I think if the story is compelling we can accept new actors in these rolls.
banthafodder

Postby Walter Boy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:37 pm

I wonder if John Williams will return for the music. That's one thing I loved not just in the original films, but the prequels as well. I hope if he has to be replaced, the music still has the same feel that the saga has and not some stupid tribal war dance music like we had in The Clone Wars theme song.
Walter Boy

Postby zwolya » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:38 pm

All I can think of is the article on Cracked that explains why even the much-hated prequel trilogy is better than anything post Episode 6 could be (with the biggest reason being that in the EU, the plot of the main 6 basically repeats itself). Also, I love Star Wars as much as anyone, but I think it's time to leave it alone in the mainstream. More isn't always better, am I right? Who thinks Indiana Jones 4 or Pirates 4 is the best in their respective series? They were certainly made as afterthoughts, and simply not as good as the originals. Star Wars 4-6 were brilliant. 1-3 disappointed a bunch of people. Clone Wars...well, I honestly can't tell you why I even watch that anymore. I was young enough when 1-3 came out to still be impressioned by them, but I just have a very bad feeling about this.

Let the hating on me commence :)
zwolya

Postby deco_droid » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:42 pm

banthafodder wrote:
Inzane wrote: I feel sadly it's ship has sailed. As has already been said in this thread, the principal cast is now too old. And who wants to see our beloved characters re-cast with new actors? (I sure as hell don't).

My name is Bond, James Bond.

I think if the story is compelling we can accept new actors in these rolls.

Actually, a Star Wars movie set 30 years after ROTJ is a good starting point for the Jedi order. It would take at least that long to rebuild what the empire almost destroyed. And don't forget, George has written the treatments on these upcoming films already. Disney isn't continuing the story from scratch...
deco_droid

Postby DarthNick » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:45 pm

zwolya wrote:All I can think of is the article on Cracked...

Link?

NVM: http://www.cracked.com/article/167_5-re ... -prequels/
Last edited by DarthNick on Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarthNick

Postby deco_droid » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:50 pm

zwolya wrote:All I can think of is the article on Cracked that explains why even the much-hated prequel trilogy is better than anything post Episode 6 could be (with the biggest reason being that in the EU, the plot of the main 6 basically repeats itself). Also, I love Star Wars as much as anyone, but I think it's time to leave it alone in the mainstream. More isn't always better, am I right? Who thinks Indiana Jones 4 or Pirates 4 is the best in their respective series? They were certainly made as afterthoughts, and simply not as good as the originals. Star Wars 4-6 were brilliant. 1-3 disappointed a bunch of people. Clone Wars...well, I honestly can't tell you why I even watch that anymore. I was young enough when 1-3 came out to still be impressioned by them, but I just have a very bad feeling about this.

Let the hating on me commence :)

Not "hatin' " on you, but I think the Clone Wars have gotten progressively better with each season.

I am enthused by this news to be sure, but I have to say, I do dread the return of all the whiny fanboys, circa 1999.
deco_droid

Postby GrayMattR » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:56 pm

This is the tipping point that can provide fantastic entertainment or the next wave of "Star Wars Christmas Specials." There are plenty of writers and directors that could do amazing stories but there are plenty in the Disney farm that would probably turn it to Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

I wonder if they will do any more Indiana Jones movies. There was talk of having Shia LeBeouf star in his own series as the heir of Indiana Jones. I would have liked it if the stories were better than The Crystal Skull.
GrayMattR

Postby Blue Squadron » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:15 pm

Well, that caught everyone by surprise...!

As others have noted, if Disney can make this work like they did with Pixar and allow Lucasfilm some independence as an autonomous sub-brand then maybe there's hope?

The only thing that makes me wonder a little is what all this really means for George Lucas himself? It seems a little odd that he talks about handing over to the next generation "within his lifetime." Clearly, he makes a lot out of this deal as the owner of Lucasfilm and I'm not aware of any rumours of Mr Lucas having problems with his health but that's an odd phrase to use and it does make me wonder why he has chosen *now* to make this move?

I'll take any new movies as they come along and see how they are at the time. After the truly uninspiring prequels I can't say I'm holding my breath — but we'll see...
Blue Squadron

Postby SDIronClaw » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:30 pm

Yikes!!! I'm on board for the Thrawn Triliogy, still can't believe this happened. Totally blown away here.
"I find your lack of Lego disturbing."
SDIronClaw

Postby Olymprix » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:36 pm

I have a bad feeling about this...
"Size matters not." -- Yoda

Until you get stepped on, buddy...
Olymprix

Postby The Phantom Menace » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:37 pm

Didn't see this happening at all. A major shock. No rumours or anything. All I knew was about the planned TV series (will this now be ditched?).

Funny how many journalists are saying that everyone is really excited by this. It would seem that the only people who are disappointed at hearing about new Star Wars films are Star Wars fans.

I wonder how many Star Wars fans actually want to see new films, especially direct sequels. If they were to do new films they'd be better going back to KOTOR and have a separate saga.
The Phantom Menace

Postby dWhisper » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:45 pm

Olymprix wrote:I have a bad feeling about this...

We made it almost 3 pages before someone made this lame joke.

As for the Thrawn trilogy, I wouldn't say it's the best of the EU (I'd say Shadows of the Empire or some of the Old Republic stuff, or even PT stuff like I, Jedi or the like) would get that. It simply was the most cohesive. What Zhan was good at was creating interesting characters, without a doubt, ones that could stick and grow with the EU setting. But his actual plot and stories were basically characters moving from one dangerous thing to another, with very little in between.

More likely you'd see the rise of Thrawn or elements of the old empire, turning that into some of the other stories (hopefully not that Vong garbage or anything with Jacen) to build a new narrative around it.

If Disney is really intending to turn this into a long-running franschise, they need to establish new characters that can continue on, and greatly expand the series. It was a Galaxy far, far away, but we only ever scratched the surface with it.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby The Phantom Menace » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:48 pm

There is a new hope. Perhaps now the tinkering with the originals will stop and that they will be finally restored? Also will all the other planned 3D re-releases be cancelled now?
The Phantom Menace

Postby murphquake » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:50 pm

Although he looks alright in the pics on the Disney page I hope this doesn't indicate a decline in health for Lucas. Wish the guy all the best for all the enjoyment he's brought us, but the whole thing reminds me a bit of Apple/Jobs... of course taking a huge pay off and retiring isn't that farfetched either. Hopefully George comes up with something new or does some smaller scale stuff in the future, as I'd always be interested in seeing what he comes up with. As for the franchise, and, most importantly, the Lego license, i'm sure it will be intact, in fact signing with Lego for 10 more years may have been part of the whole plan.
murphquake

"I fear something terrible has happened."

Postby sparkart » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:05 pm

Dancing Days (not Led Zeppelin).

Now then, who's excited? I'm being cynical. But then, I do like what Disney's allowed with TRON: Uprising; there's a fair bit of innuendo and death in that show. But then, I don't think I've see any mixing of Disney and Star Wars DNA that didn't make me taste bile. When I visit Downtown Disney and see toys of Jedi Mickey and Darth Goofy, I'm not indifferent, it really annoys me.
sparkart

Postby Olymprix » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:19 pm

Then again, if they make the movies as well as the Marvel movies...

Olymprix

Postby Olymprix » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:20 pm

dWhisper wrote:

We made it almost 3 pages before someone made this lame joke.

As for the Thrawn trilogy, I wouldn't say it's the best of the EU (I'd say Shadows of the Empire or some of the Old Republic stuff, or even PT stuff like I, Jedi or the like) would get that. It simply was the most cohesive. What Zhan was good at was creating interesting characters, without a doubt, ones that could stick and grow with the EU setting. But his actual plot and stories were basically characters moving from one dangerous thing to another, with very little in between.

More likely you'd see the rise of Thrawn or elements of the old empire, turning that into some of the other stories (hopefully not that Vong garbage or anything with Jacen) to build a new narrative around it.

If Disney is really intending to turn this into a long-running franschise, they need to establish new characters that can continue on, and greatly expand the series. It was a Galaxy far, far away, but we only ever scratched the surface with it.

Sorry to bring on the lameness :lol:

Olymprix

Postby jonutah » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:27 pm

Brenden Fraiser as Luke Skywalker
Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as Darth Vader
Jamie Lee Curtis as Princess Leia

In Disney's...

Big Bad Bantha Fodder
jonutah