Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4B, Episode 7 in 2015

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Disney Buys Lucasfilm

Postby crazybirdman » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:12 pm

banthafodder wrote:This is pretty mindblowing. It doesn't fit in well with Lucas giving up control though. However it may lead to some better movies than the last three. Even better new non clone lego sets!


He has said he wanted to get out of the big budget movie business.

Chief wrote:Star Wars out of Lucas' hands? I say BRING IT ON. :D


This times one thousand. Can you imagine the possibilities if someone with imagination and creativity Started making movies set in the Star Wars universe?
crazybirdman
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 8:14 am

Re: Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4B, Episode 7 in 2015

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:17 pm

I'm trying to picture the reaction if, after buying Lucasfilm and announcing Star Wars Episode 7, Disney hires Lucas to direct it. ;)
Mister Ed
 
Posts: 1161
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:18 pm

Re: Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4B, Episode 7 in 2015

Postby Joedward » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:20 pm

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee


Or, alternately,


NoooOoooooOOOOOOOooOoOooOoooo

I'm sure only time will tell. I am both apprehensive and intrigued. Can't wait until all the little bits of info start popping up over the next couple of years.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:30 am

Re: Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4B, Episode 7 in 2015

Postby DarthNick » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:23 pm

dWhisper wrote:Though it will be nice seeing a lot of the EU stuff basically negated.

Sorry, what exactly do you mean by this? That in the making of the new movies, they're going to overlap all the EU stuff? And if so, why is that a nice thing?

Mister Ed wrote:I'm trying to picture the reaction if, after buying Lucasfilm and announcing Star Wars Episode 7, Disney hires Lucas to direct it. ;)

He's already been named to be a 'creative consultant' on the film. But who knows what that'll mean for the films.
DarthNick
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:53 pm

Re: Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4B, Episode 7 in 2015

Postby Walter Boy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:24 pm

The question going through my mind is: Will fans eventually love Lucas for this, or hate him even more? :S

I can't help but be scared because of this question. Beautiful things could come from this... But so could terrible things.


Terrible, terrible things...
Last edited by Walter Boy on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Walter Boy
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:21 am

Re: Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4B, Episode 7 in 2015

Postby Draykov » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:25 pm

Any sense of hope this might bring is tempered by memories of 1999.
Hail Space!
Image
Draykov
 
Posts: 1777
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:14 pm
Location: Lone Star

Re: Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4B, Episode 7 in 2015

Postby onions » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:27 pm

Draykov wrote:Any sense of hope this might bring is tempered by memories of 1999.


elaborate? cause this ain't nothing like 1999.
onions
Founder
Founder
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:45 pm

Re: Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4B, Episode 7 in 2015

Postby Walter Boy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:29 pm

DarthNick wrote:He's already been named to be a 'creative consultant' on the film. But who knows what that'll mean for the films.


I just hope Dave Filoni isn't involved...
Image
Walter Boy
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:21 am

Re: Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4B, Episode 7 in 2015

Postby Draykov » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:30 pm

onions wrote:
elaborate? cause this ain't nothing like 1999.



Sort of a "fool me once" situation. I got excited for the PT and was pretty well gutted by the time Episode III came out. I'd rather not get my hopes up in vain again...I'm just not strong enough.

I realize though for nerds everywhere this is something of a double-rainbow scenario at this point.

Image
Hail Space!
Image
Draykov
 
Posts: 1777
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:14 pm
Location: Lone Star

Re: Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4B, Episode 7 in 2015

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:31 pm

DarthNick wrote:
dWhisper wrote:Though it will be nice seeing a lot of the EU stuff basically negated.

Sorry, what exactly do you mean by this? That in the making of the new movies, they're going to overlap all the EU stuff? And if so, why is that a nice thing?


While I don't take any particular joy in having EU stuff overwritten when I know there are a lot of people who enjoy it (I enjoy SOME of it), I don't think it ultimately will be that big a deal. (Never was for Star Trek.)

I will admit to a part of me that WILL take a bit of pleasure from the reactions of certain very STRIDENT EU fans that I've known if that happens, though. I'm not proud of that, especially, though it has less to do with my feelings about the EU than it does my feeling about specific people that obsess over it and judge you for not holding it in the same regard.
Mister Ed
 
Posts: 1161
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:18 pm

Re: Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4B, Episode 7 in 2015

Postby Pellaeon » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:33 pm

my head asplode

So… unedited movies in 1080p, please?
Pellaeon
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4B, Episode 7 in 2015

Postby Walter Boy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:33 pm

Image
Walter Boy
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:21 am

Re: Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4B, Episode 7 in 2015

Postby Chief » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:35 pm

I would be in line for a Thrawn movie trilogy SO FAST
Image
Chief
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:45 am
Location: Oceanside, CA

Re: Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4B, Episode 7 in 2015

Postby dWhisper » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:37 pm

Mister Ed wrote:
DarthNick wrote:
dWhisper wrote:Though it will be nice seeing a lot of the EU stuff basically negated.

Sorry, what exactly do you mean by this? That in the making of the new movies, they're going to overlap all the EU stuff? And if so, why is that a nice thing?


While I don't take any particular joy in having EU stuff overwritten when I know there are a lot of people who enjoy it (I enjoy SOME of it), I don't think it ultimately will be that big a deal. (Never was for Star Trek.)

I will admit to a part of me that WILL take a bit of pleasure from the reactions of certain very STRIDENT EU fans that I've known if that happens, though. I'm not proud of that, especially, though it has less to do with my feelings about the EU than it does my feeling about specific people that obsess over it and judge you for not holding it in the same regard.


Lucas has always treated the EU with disregard, and basically negated ro removed a lot of it. He'll use elements of it, stuff like Coruscant or some of the aliens in the background. The whole onion layers of canon thing.

I do enjoy some of the EU, I really do, but for the most part, it's muddled and often garbage. Sub-par writers, plots that don't make sense, and the continual need to reinvent basic things about the story.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:56 pm
Location: The Arkansas Wasteland

Re: Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4B, Episode 7 in 2015

Postby HothTrooper » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:47 pm

I'm amazed Disney and Lucasfilm managed to keep this a surprise until the official announcement. That said, I'm interested to see how this sequel trilogy will play out. How interested will depend on the time period (I can't see recasting the original trilogy characters and doing a direct sequel shortly after Return of the Jedi going well.) and creative talent. I also sincerely hope the Hollywood Reboot Disease doesn't infect Star Wars. The Star Wars universe is plenty big enough to tell new stories for years to come without rebooting the franchise every few years like Batman or Spider-man.
HothTrooper
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:25 pm

Re: Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4B, Episode 7 in 2015

Postby deco_droid » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:09 pm

Okay, somebody help me out on this -- Is Carrie Fisher still thin or is she back to being overweight these days???
deco_droid
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:46 am
Location: Fort Worth, TX

Re: Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4B, Episode 7 in 2015

Postby DarthNick » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:17 pm

dWhisper wrote:Lucas has always treated the EU with disregard, and basically negated ro removed a lot of it. He'll use elements of it, stuff like Coruscant or some of the aliens in the background. The whole onion layers of canon thing.

I do enjoy some of the EU, I really do, but for the most part, it's muddled and often garbage. Sub-par writers, plots that don't make sense, and the continual need to reinvent basic things about the story.

I can definitely see what you mean. Though it would just seem silly to me to overlap EU stuff when the Star Wars timeline is expansive enough that I doubt it'd be necessary.

And apparently, the Thrawn trilogy is now my next read (once I finish the New Jedi Order). Gotta see what all the talk is about.
DarthNick
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:53 pm

Re: Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4B, Episode 7 in 2015

Postby Joedward » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:22 pm

deco_droid wrote:Okay, somebody help me out on this -- Is Carrie Fisher still thin or is she back to being overweight these days???


Um..... Why?
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:30 am

Re: Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4B, Episode 7 in 2015

Postby Solo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:23 pm

deco_droid wrote:Okay, somebody help me out on this -- Is Carrie Fisher still thin or is she back to being overweight these days???
Recent article on that topic for reference.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:53 am
Location: right here

Re: Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4B, Episode 7 in 2015

Postby Inzane » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:29 pm

The Thrawn Trilogy is easily the best of the 3rd party (EU) novels, IMO.

However, as much as I'd love to see those books made into film, I feel sadly it's ship has sailed. As has already been said in this thread, the principal cast is now too old. And who wants to see our beloved characters re-cast with new actors? (I sure as hell don't).

I wish in the mid-90s that is where Lucas could've focused his return to SW Film. Timothy Zahn laid out a fantastic template of a story of how to place the universe and its characters after the original trilogy. Instead we got the start of Lucas's bastardization of the classics, starting with SW SE in '97.

And yes, 1999 was a year to remember. >8(
Inzane
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:56 am
Location: Alberta, Canada

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests

cron